Veild female not eating or drinking, has developed a black spot on her side.

tarrynh011

Hi all, I'm worried about my female veiled chameleon. I haven't seen her eat much over the past 2 weeks and have noticed (since monday) that she's dehydrated "sunken eyes" i have a dripper dripping constantly and have a mistking mister going off every 4 hours for 2 min from 7am - 7pm.

Since Monday I have started dripping water on her lips and after a while she dose start to drink. I took her out the enclosure today to have some Natural sunshine and noticed this black on her sides. I am the only one who handles the chameleons and I know I'm extremely gentle with them as I scoop my hand under their bodies never ever grab them.

Their staple diet is crickets 4-5 every day dusted with Calcium with out D3 and bee pollen and alternation between multivitamin or Calcium with D3 ever Saturdays.
2 x Superworms everyotherday also dusted with Calcium with out D3 and bee pollen. She has hardly eaten these aswell.

I've had my male and female chameleon since September of 2020 and she has laid two clutches both in February of 2021 and February 2022.

Enclosure, full vivarium with all live plants and soil at the bottom. Basking temp 26-27 degrees. Humidity 65 but dose drop between misting times

Attached images for reference.

Attachments

• 20220507_144155.jpg
    20220507_144155.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 20220507_175705.jpg
    20220507_175705.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 65
Looks like bruising. how is her grip? They are not kept together correct?

How old is she? How many eggs did she lay in each clutch?

Hi Beman, her grip is still very good /strong. She also did bite me today (first time ever) and her jaw was strong.

First clutch 46 (Feb 2021)
Second clutch 38 (Feb 2022)

Male and female are separate and there is a wooden divider between them so they cannot see each other

Not sure of age so I would be guessing but I would say about 2 - 2.5 years old?
Ok just wanted to be sure that she was not an older girl. Her clutches are a little larger then we like to see. Can create health complications for the females when they are laying larger clutches. We control the clutch size with reduced feeding. Females should be given 3 feeders 3 days a week.

So part of the worry is retained eggs when they are holding a large clutch. I am not sure with yours though that would require an xray.

But where the bruising is looks like a fall. The fact that the grip is strong is a good sign. But the eyes sinking in indicates an issue.

Personally if she were mine I would take her into a vet. Get an xray and make sure there is not an issue there.

You said..."I took her out the enclosure today to have some Natural sunshine and noticed this black on her sides"....BOTH sides??

You said...."have noticed (since monday) that she's dehydrated "sunken eyes" i have a dripper dripping constantly"...sunken eyes done always indicate dehydration. More often they indicate illness or pain, etc.

@Beman @kinyonga thanks for the insite, I'm concerned to take her to the vet here in S.A. We have two vets that specialize in reptiles and the first (and last time in 2021) I took both there they treated for parasites with out doing tests first... This was our first vet visit so I did not know what the norm should be... only after the vet visit on here did I find out this is not how things should go.

Please can you guide me so that this dose not happen again...

As Beman said xray 👍
If they want to prescribed anything, do I allow it?
I know it's difficult to say now as we don't know what the issue is im just worried

@Beman @kinyonga thanks for the insite, I'm concerned to take her to the vet here in S.A. We have two vets that specialize in reptiles and the first (and last time in 2021) I took both there they treated for parasites with out doing tests first... This was our first vet visit so I did not know what the norm should be... only after the vet visit on here did I find out this is not how things should go.

Please can you guide me so that this dose not happen again...

As Beman said xray 👍
If they want to prescribed anything, do I allow it?
I know it's difficult to say now as we don't know what the issue is im just worried
You can refuse parasite meds... You can refuse any course of treatment. They should get her weight and look her over. Xray to see if there is something going on with eggs. They may want to do blood work to see if she has an infection. Then prescribe meds for whatever comes back in the blood work that would best treat it.

If they want to deworm without a fecal or give a vitamin shot this is where I tend to draw the line. I do not believe in medicating without a real reason just because meds can be hard on their organ function.

Thank you Beman, I will make an appointment tomorrow for her at the vet and do as you have suggested... thank you again for your assistance and good guidance

Your welcome. Good luck. Let us know what happens.
Hi Beman, took my baby to the vet and they have done x-rays. She definitely still has an egg inside of her and the vet has kept her in for tonight. 😪😪😪 I'll call him when I leave work and see if anything has progressed. Will keep you posted

Did the vet say that's what was causing the black marks?
Did the xray show an oval egg our was it round? Shelled or not
I asked about the black marks and he said that it could be from the lights, it's not a burn but because she has been lying in the same spot (as she hasn't been moving around) it could be from that... I do not know how true this is as it dose not sound right to Me🤷‍♀

I did not see the actual xray, but he brought her to Me after and held her in a way that we could see the egg through her skin it was oval and firm. He said there is movement with the egg so it hasn't attached to any of her organs.

My baby has Kidney disease!!!!! She's still with the vet and is fighting for her little life 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 I'm absolutely devistated my poor baby Cammi💔💔 please please please keep her in your prayers 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

Attachments

• 20220130_101302.jpg
    20220130_101302.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 53
Back
Top Bottom