Various set up photos for your MBD chamie

globug

Hi everyone. You know my Nacho has MBD he's about 16 to 18 months old and doing really well. I have opened up his enclosure to give him more climbing space. I still have a towel in bottom and other safety features to keep him safe in case of falls and what not.

All is going well. I watch him and often add or cut out a branch as I see he needs it. I'm just really hoping to see other people's set up for 'special needs' chamies. I wonder sometime if I should redesign the whole enclosure wood or what. Make climbing branches more symmetrical or keep doing what i'm doing. I've thought about buying a bunch of bird perches and just making straight lines.....please send photos and advice about your MBD chamies who have regained most mobility.

I just had to spin him back upright on a branch again. He's great but not 100%, so proud and happy with him and still want to create a perfect environment for him. I'll post another picture here of him. I think I can remember how. Let me take a couple pictures now.

Oh, he puffed up to give you a show. Enclosure looks like hot mess but ever branch is carefully placed as I've watched him climb up and down over the last 8 months.

IMG_2370.JPG

I have plenty of pictures on my setup for my MBD cham, JoJo. She passed away a few months ago, but I hope that these pics help you out :)

When I first got her, she couldn't stand or move at all.

380117_10150542152688296_2123376410_n.jpg

So I kept her in a 10 gallon tank for the first two months until she started climbing and holding onto things.

404707_10150571245283296_433637843_n.jpg

At that time, I bought her a size small repti-breeze home because I was terrified of her falling.

423288_10150715138228296_311256081_n.jpg

I bought things for her that she could either lay down on rather than hold on to, or things that were small enough for her to wrap her feet completely around.

431683_10150715139673296_1361301576_n.jpg

430125_10150715142768296_1466238285_n.jpg

After about seven months of caring for her, I decided that she was ready for a permanent sized home, and I wanted to give her a big one after everything she had been through. I built this myself; it's about 4 1/2 feet tall and 2 1/2 feet wide. I used the large sized vine by exo-terra because they are a bit squishy and she was able to dig her claws into it. I also used larger sticks that she could easy hold on to. I put a hibiscus in there as well because I found out she liked to eat the flowers and leaves.

560556_10151302076978296_1653548661_n.jpg

427794_10151302077088296_1815041726_n.jpg

250281_10151302076553296_1731167999_n.jpg

Good luck with your little one :)

I really like your set up. My first boy Pete died from complications of MBD and uniformed (although I thought I was) owner. I have seen several screen cages with horizontal branches but how do you secure them? Are they just wired onto the screen? I have several jungle vines for my other cham but want to give him more climbing space.

I really like your set up. My first boy Pete died from complications of MBD and uniformed (although I thought I was) owner. I have seen several screen cages with horizontal branches but how do you secure them? Are they just wired onto the screen? I have several jungle vines for my other cham but want to give him more climbing space.

I'm not sure if this was for me, but if it was...

In the smaller exo terra, I did use wire to secure them, but I was stupid and I don't recommend this. They could scratch your chameleon and when they get wet, they can rust like mine did. In the handmade cage, I bought a huge spool of twin, and you could pull it apart until you had thinner strands, and I just used that to tie everything together. I have a love/hate relationship with jungle vines. I love them because my chams really like them, and it's where they always hang out, but they are such a pain to set up in a way that looks nice, and also utilizes them in a way that gives your chameleon room to walk on. I really like the circle thing that I have in the handmade cage, but I only did that so that the plant could grow up through it.

I use thumb tacks for mine. If you are using wood branches, you can push the thumb tack through the mesh and into the end of the branch.

Captianmorgantown...you are awesome......Thank you for giving me the most direct information....I appreciate that when someone posts something that most people 'comment' on it but few actually give info or help or photos as I requested....Thanks.

I don't think I've ever seen those branches here. Actually, I bought the enclosures in a flat little box and put them together myself and systematically cut dead branches out of my courtyard to build stuff.....my friends think I'm crazy as anytime we're walking if I see a dead branch I get excited....they say, 'You are not taking that home.' I do, they still love me.

Back
Top Bottom