Various Health Questions

• Your Chameleon - Veiled, male, hatched in may 2016 and ive had him for about seven months
  • Handling - I handle him about 2-3 times a week
  • Feeding - crickets/mealworms/blueberries/waxworms and blueberries
  • Supplements - repticalcium, one with d3 one without
  • Watering - I have a dish I clean every day and a syringe if he wont drink (plastic, small drops), and I spray down his cage every 1-2 hours
  • Fecal Description - brown and white and sometimes a little yellowish, not runny, never been tested
  • History - biggest and healthiest of the brood, picked by me the day they were available

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen,
  • Lighting - 75W exo terra basking bulb and a 26W exo terra reptile UVB turns on at 6:30 in the morning and off around 9:30 at night
  • Temperature - I have a thermometer doesn't go down much at night because my house is warm so its around 60-70
  • Humidity - hydrometer, hydro drops to about 40 - 50 at night but usually 60-70 during the day
  • Plants - silk fikus, fikus, bonsai fikus, umbrella tree and plastic fikus
  • Placement - located in my room, we live close to a highway but its more of an ambient sound, no vents and low air flow
  • Location - british colombia, canada, dry okanogan but it gets very cold in the winter

IMG_20161204_163033562_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161204_163047768_HDR.jpg

This is Yoshi ^ Pictures were taken minutes ago

Recently, he has not been eating much- only about 5 waxworms, 2 jumbo mealworms, 3 crickets and 1 blueberry each day, and im getting concerned. The information above the photos are not too in depth of his current physical state, so here are some more bits of information and questions:

An important one, possibly liked to dehydration?: When I carefully stick my hand in the cage to get him, he'll hiss and lash out a little as usual. but after a few seconds he will willingly climb onto my hand and kind of stamp his feet on me. I tried to get a video of this, I really did bit I just couldn't. It looked sort of like he was wiping his feet on me, and i find this very odd. And other times when I reach out, he will just cling to whatever surface his is on and close his eyes and shake his head- this seems very scary to me and, to be honest, has made me cry a few times because I've looked it up and I cant find any information!

Are blueberries a no-no? (I have heard so many different things from so many different people! Some say collared greens are good and some say they are bad, same with apple and papaya)

If blueberries are good, how often can I feed them to him?

If blueberries are bad, what else can I feed him that is risk-free?

Yoshi is %100 percent without a doubt male, big veil and spurs. Every morning I wake up 1-3 hours after his light turns on, I find him crawling on the ground. He likes to circle the bottom of his cage a lot. What I have to ask is...

Is he hunting for food?

Is it bad that I find specks of dirt in his mouth every now and then?

Could he be getting too hot near his lamp, maybe hes heading downwards to cool off? Should I make it higher? Its about 6 inches from the closest branch right now

Another thing, I have only ever seen him drink off a leaf once or twice since I got him, I have a dish at the bottom of the cage that I only put back in recently because of worry, and yes I clean it every day. I also give him water with a plastic syringe, not a sharp one, just one that drips. I get him to open his mouth, like when hes hissing, and drop a few drops of water in his mouth, making sure not to choke him or drown him. I wait until he swallows and do this twice more each day. He has had dehydration scars ever since I got him, and they go about half the length of his tummy on each side.

Should I ditch the water dish?

Spray more or less often than every 1-2 hours?

Is the syringe bad and should I get fresh water every time?

Can i mix calcium powder in water to give to him?

Does dehydration leave with time?

Also, not very noticeable in the pictures, but Yoshi has some dark brown/black/pale spots around the top of his veil/on his nose/the ridges above his eyes.

Is this his natural color, or could this be burns?

Is it true that I can apply a little bit of aloe with a cotton swab to burn areas?

Are these dehydration scars too?

Im sorry fro writing and entire book of information, but Yoshi is very important to me! I have looked after him so well and I never leave his side in a situation like this. He used to have a very small case of MBD, an extra lump on his elbow, but that was when I got him and its gone now.

If anyone can give me information on how to help him, that would be great! My small town does not have an exotic vet, so if its serious enough im thinking that he has no hope. Please help my Yoshi.

Could he be working on a shed? My boy goes kinda nuts wandering around and acts strange prior to every shed and also quits eating for a few days. I don't see any glaring problems with husbandry aside from needing to alternate calcium w/d3 and a multivitamin weekly. He looks beautiful to me, I don't see any dehydration! I'm disabled and my chams are at the foot of my bed, I watch them so much and I never see my male drinking. They can be pretty sneaky, I wouldn't worry too much unless you see symptoms of dehydration. I'm not sure about blueberries for chams, but hopefully someone more experience will chime in.

Could he be working on a shed? My boy goes kinda nuts wandering around and acts strange prior to every shed and also quits eating for a few days. I don't see any glaring problems with husbandry aside from needing to alternate calcium w/d3 and a multivitamin weekly. He looks beautiful to me, I don't see any dehydration! I'm disabled and my chams are at the foot of my bed, I watch them so much and I never see my male drinking. They can be pretty sneaky, I wouldn't worry too much unless you see symptoms of dehydration. I'm not sure about blueberries for chams, but hopefully someone more experience will chime in.

Thank you so much, just hearing this made me feel better. And, now that you mention is, he does tend to walk on the ground to get the shed skin off his feet, though he isn't shedding right now.

Back
Top Bottom