Variegated Schefflera??

Big Gulp

Established Member
So I was at a greenhouse today looking for a Schefflera Arboricola. They did not have one, but they did have a plant that looked like one but had more yellow/gold in the leaves. It wasn't even labeled, so I asked the lady what it was called. She said she thought it was a Variegated Schefflera.

I ended up buying it, but I wanna make sure it's ok to use in my veiled enclosure first. Are these ok? Is the only difference between this and the Arboricola just color? I looked at the live plant list on here to see if it's ok, and surprisingly did not see it.

This is what it looks like. Thanks!

schefflera-arboricola-variegated-umbrella-plant.jpg

Also, question about re-potting. Is it just so the cham doesn't eat any of the soil? Or can the fertilizer be in the leaves. The lady assured me the fertilizer does not make it's way to the leaves and that it'd be fine as long as I cover up the soil with rocks.

It is one of the safest plants to use. Another plus is it grows well with the lighting we use.

When you repot it use the fertilizer below the surface and make sure you cover it well. When I repot I use a slow release fertilizer and put it at the root base.

Carl

So it'll grow fine with just the 5.0 UVB and my soft white house bulb I use for the basking spot?

I'm really nervous re-potting it, because I'm sure it's all gonna fall apart. How much of the soil do you remove?

Also, would coco fiber work? Or is potting soil better?

I only use organic potting soil. It is has perlite in it I don't use it.

They are usually so root bound you don't have to worry about spilling soil.

Carl

You might get some leaf drop until the plant adjusts to your light but give it a couple of weeks and it will be fine.

Carl

Its a great plant, I am useing two in my cages. It seems to hold its leaves a little better than the solid green. As far as repotting, I dont. I leave the plant in the same pot. These plants will go into shock with repotting and light change. They will drop leaves. I top off with organic soil and small stones. You could also place the existing pot into a more desireable pot. I have done it both ways and repotting I find is more shock. I also use a mild soap solution spray on the entire plant before useing. Good luck.

This is a schefflera. They are really hard to kill. They get root bound easily. When I get these I pull the pot from the store off and cut 1/3 of the soil/root mass off with a small saw or large bread knife. The roots will grow back just fine. You can also prune it heavily and it can handle it.

Thanks all.

Right now I believe it's in a 6" plastic pot. Would you recommend me putting it in a bigger pot, say...7", if I repot it? And would coco fiber work fine? I read some use sand in with their organic soil for better drainage. Is that used as a separate layer, or completely mixed in?

And just to clarify, if there is fertilizer in the soil, it can only affect the cham if they eat the soil, not the actual leaves. Is that correct?

ellbodavis, so I can just cut off some of the roots and it won't be affected at all?

Man I wish I had a green thumb...lol. Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for the help all!

Systemic pesticides is what would be an issue if eating leaves. This plant is pretty bullet proof. I've never heard of anyone or seen any dealers using pesticides with it. Fertilizer uptake with this plant is done through the roots.

It wouldn't hurt to run the plant under the shower for a few minutes if your worried.

Carl

Yes! I already did this for my female's set up. The plant was about 40 inches tall and I cut 1/3 of the roots off and 1/2 of the leaves so I could actually see my girl. The plant is doing great. In fact I pruned it again this week.

image.jpg

I bought another one of similar size to set up for another chameleon I am planning for.

If the roots are not root bound you don't need to worry about trimming them. You can also just loosen the tight roots before repotting.

So it'll grow fine with just the 5.0 UVB and my soft white house bulb I use for the basking spot?

I'm really nervous re-potting it, because I'm sure it's all gonna fall apart. How much of the soil do you remove?

Also, would coco fiber work? Or is potting soil better?

Don't be nervous. It will be fine. They're very hardy little boogers. Just use some good organic soil and cover with river rock stone. If it's in a 6" pot now, go bigger than a 7". Give it some room to grow. I say go a couple to few inches bigger. As for the fertilizer. BE PATIENT. You really won't need much if any with repotting it. You could actually do more harm than good. It's very easy to get carried away with fertilizer. Over fertilizing can kill it real quick. You probably would be ok fertilizing only a couple times a year.

So I should fertilize it every so often? I thought fertilizer was a no no. Also, I repotted it with coco fiber. Hope that works.

Back
Top Bottom