Vacation

emma_5774

I have 2 panther chameleons, nosey faly and ambilobe. Both are about a year old and males. They have separate cages (of course) and are doing really great! This upcoming may my family is going to the beach, we go for a week every year its like a family tradition I guess. I have brought my nosey on trips before and it was difficult fitting the cage and everything in the car. It would be far too difficult to try to take both to the beach and then find places to put their cages in the rooms. I don't have anywhere to take the chameleons and would rather not transport them and cause stress. I don't currently have misters but should I get 2 and have them run when I am gone? There will be someone to check in to make sure they are okay but they are terrified of reptiles. Should I also leave bugs in a cup for them to eat whenever or let them go until I get back from vacation? I know the trip is a whiles away but I just want to be sure on everything beforehand.

Hello! I'd be happy to share with you what I do when I go on vacation.

I have everything set up to be as automatic as possible. I do not have a mister, but the person who watches my chameleons does not fear reptiles, so hand missing is not an issue. In your situation, you may find an automatic mister to come in handy.

I set up a schedule for the sitter to follow, and on the day we leave, I go over the schedule in person with my sitter.

I have my bugs all set up in smaller containers for easier feeding for the sitter, and then once a day, I do a facetime check-in with both of my chameleons to ensure everything is looking good.

There is a really good podcast on the Chameleon Academy that talks about chameleon keepers and going on vacation. You can download the app or listen to it on Spotify. It's episode 3 in season 1, called Vacations & Chameleons at Home.

Let me know how it goes!

Just curious when you ask about getting two misters…a Mist King starter set plus an extra misting nozzle and a T connector would be all you’d need. Plus a reservoir bucket or something to put water into.

I have misters on a timer and lights on a timer.

I just throw a butt ton of crickets in the cages, and god speed.

I tell the "sitter" to just make sure the misters and lights are working, and you can find the chameleon.

They dont need two feedings a day. Hell most of the time mine only get one big meal a week, and maybe a snack mid week. So going a week without food is fine as long as they drink.

Back
Top Bottom