Vacation with the cham

zturner7594

Going on a little weekend trip to the mountains at the end of the month, and don't have anybody to take care of Stitch while we are gone. He is a 5 month old veiled. Has anyone ever taken your chameleon on a trip like this. I won't be able to take his viv ,but I think I could take his lights, a plant or two, some branches, and put them in a plastic storage container with him for a couple of days. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience doing this type of thing? I usually put him in a large container with a few branches when I'm cleaning his cage for an hour, bt I haven't done it for days. Any advice would be great!!!

You are way better off getting an auto mister, auto timer for your lights. That's assuming you don't already have these. Feed him before you go on your trip and right when you get back. Chams are usually pretty good about being on their own for a couple days as long as you fill up their water systems that they need.
This is exactly what I'm planning. I'm going to a treehouse for the weekend of my birthday in the 3rd week in June. I don't have a caretaker who will be here, either. By that point, Godrick would be approximately 9 months old and fully capable of skipping a day without food. So I'm going to fill his mister reservoir. His mister and lights are on timers anyway. We will be leaving Friday afternoon and returning Sunday late morning/early noontime. So, I will feed him again as soon as we get back Sunday around noontime. As long as the power doesnt go out, he should be fine. :)(y)

Going on a little weekend trip to the mountains at the end of the month, and don't have anybody to take care of Stitch while we are gone. He is a 5 month old veiled. Has anyone ever taken your chameleon on a trip like this. I won't be able to take his viv ,but I think I could take his lights, a plant or two, some branches, and put them in a plastic storage container with him for a couple of days. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience doing this type of thing? I usually put him in a large container with a few branches when I'm cleaning his cage for an hour, bt I haven't done it for days. Any advice would be great!!!
Yeah agree with the other replies. Leave the little guy at home. They are not travel buddies and prefer the comfort of their enclosure. Just make sure you have everything automated... Misting and lights to turn off and on when you need them to. You can always dump his feeders in the night you leave so he wakes up to that days feeding. Then he does not go without as long. But if it is only a weekend trip I would not be concerned with going a day or two without food.

We also bought a Netvue camera and mounted it to the wall so we could tune in from our phones every now and then to check lights were on and mister tank still had enough water (left it in view of the camera). Worked a treat for our time away (Sat lunch - Tues am). Our Panther is 10 months.

Back
Top Bottom