UVB question.

fastgixxerlv

GOOOD MORNING! I'm new to the forums. Are the Zoo Med compact UVB 5.0 safe to use for chameleons? I bought it thinking it would be ok since it is the same maker as the reptisun I have used. My new enclosure I smaller so I was thinking compact and going to use one of my dome lights. Or should I put the long one lengthwise along the side if the enclosure? My 6 year old female Veiled died and a new make baby will be here in a few hours. I found this site from FLCHAMS where I got the new one from, he is supposed to be a premium breed so hopefully he can fill the spot. thanks!

First of all Welcome to the forums! Yes, they are safe but they have taken a bad rap over the years due to an issue awhile back with them emitting too much uvb and causing eye problems and even blindness in some reptiles. They are said to have since rectified the problem. There are many members who use them with no problems. However, the majority of us prefer the Reptisun 5.0 Linerar tube models. That is what I use also. If you have not already bought the compact, I would get the tube. If you do, it needs to go over the top of the cage, just the like compact would. you set it right on top of the screen. If you use the compact and you notice your chameleon closing, rubbing eyes etc then I would discontinue use of it. Just curious, why did your other cham die? old age I suppose? Also make sure that you aware that these bulbs need to be changed out every 6-9 months as they lose their strength.

Hi welcome to the board. I to purchased 2 veiled from Flchams, I can assure you that you will be very pleased :). I use the 5.0 bulb though as already stated most here use the liners, I haven’t had any issues thus far. Again congrats.

Assuming you haven't thrown out the 'instructions' that will tell.

With the zoomeds if it has a 09 in the corner, they're good.
If it's 03, they're bad.

There's a few threads somewhere outlining the info (I can't find it atm).

Hope that helps.

Thanks! It does say 09 on the manual the bulb came with. I also have the tube UVB but it fits on my old 2x2x4 cage that I will use when this guy grows. He is itty bitty! I've never seen one this small in person. I got the female one that I had 4 years ago at the swapmeet and the guy said she was 2 years old. I came home Sunday and she was gone. It was a sad day for sure. What else besides small crickets should I feed him that I can find at pet shops? Thanks again for the help. Looking through this site makes me want to get more!

the petstores dont sell much in the line of feeders other than crickets. They do sell some canned worms but they are dead and chams eat live prey. You can feed him little meal worms, but just as treats. Also my pet store sells waxworms which are small enough but they are like the fattiest feeder so you want to feed those in moderation also. Small silkworms(order from Coastal Silkworms or Mulberry Farms), which you have to order on line, blue bottle flies, fruit flies(Mantis Place) sells the stuff(cultures) to grow the flies.

the petstores dont sell much in the line of feeders other than crickets.

Hey now, that's not always true.

I sell:
Crickets/Superworms/Silkworms/Hornworms/Butterworms/Waxworms.
I can get Phoenix worms but I'm not a big fan.
If only Dubia's and Sickbugs weren't 'illegal' feeding would be so much easier as well.

hello i've used the repit-glo 5.0 since ive had my little guy never once have i had a problem with them.. i had him for 9 months now...i've had about 3 of them and change them every 5 months i just keep the box and write the date i bought it

Hey now, that's not always true.

I sell:
Crickets/Superworms/Silkworms/Hornworms/Butterworms/Waxworms.
I can get Phoenix worms but I'm not a big fan.
If only Dubia's and Sickbugs weren't 'illegal' feeding would be so much easier as well.

You are right, I was just going by where I live and that is obviously not true everywhere. sorry, I should have specified in my area in Florida! I can get supers at a reptile store near me. I wish I could could get horns and silks, I have to pay $10 shipping all the time and it costs me an arm and a leg! Lucky you!

Thanks guys. I'll stick with crickets and small worms for now, he seems to like them. I'll look into those sites and the classifieds on here when he gets bigger.

Back
Top Bottom