UVB question, input needed

Ok so I just upgraded my 7mo old male ambilobe to a DIY bioactive converted armoire. The interior dimensions are 36"w x 20"d x 52"h. I have a 48" dual bulb t5 fixture with one arcadia 6% UVB and one UVA spectrum plus HO grow bulb. The top of the enclosure is curved but the fixture sits essentially right on top(see photo). My question is, the enclosure is relatively heavily planted and will probably become more dense over time. I have 2 extra arcadia 6% bulbs. Should I get a second fixture for another uvb bulb? I considered getting a 12% but with 2 extra 6% laying around, that seems silly. Is what I have enough? What would you all do? Also, I plan to put another vine up in the top 3rd and probably in the lower 3rd as well. Hes young and it's new so he's not exploring a whole lot yet.
20200803_090945.jpg
20200802_104914.jpg

Ok so I just upgraded my 7mo old male ambilobe to a DIY bioactive converted armoire. The interior dimensions are 36"w x 20"d x 52"h. I have a 48" dual bulb t5 fixture with one arcadia 6% UVB and one UVA spectrum plus HO grow bulb. The top of the enclosure is curved but the fixture sits essentially right on top(see photo). My question is, the enclosure is relatively heavily planted and will probably become more dense over time. I have 2 extra arcadia 6% bulbs. Should I get a second fixture for another uvb bulb? I considered getting a 12% but with 2 extra 6% laying around, that seems silly. Is what I have enough? What would you all do? Also, I plan to put another vine up in the top 3rd and probably in the lower 3rd as well. Hes young and it's new so he's not exploring a whole lot yet.
What is the material that you have covering the cage? Screen? This makes a difference.
keep in mind you want a forest edge... Where the top corner that the basking is in does not have plants everywhere. This side they are getting full access to UVB. So upping the UVB is not recommended because they will be over exposed to the high UVI level there.

https://chameleonacademy.com/forest-edge-chameleon-cage-method/

https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-set-up-replicating-the-sun/

PS no pic attached.

What is the material that you have covering the cage? Screen? This makes a difference.
keep in mind you want a forest edge... Where the top corner that the basking is in does not have plants everywhere. This side they are getting full access to UVB. So upping the UVB is not recommended because they will be over exposed to the high UVI level there.

https://chameleonacademy.com/forest-edge-chameleon-cage-method/

PS no pic attached.
You're too fast! I realized I forgot the pic and added it seconds later haha. Yea its covered in screen and the basking light is in the front left corner, where it's most bare. The taller plant is on the opposite side.

You're too fast! I realized I forgot the pic and added it seconds later haha. Yea its covered in screen and the basking light is in the front left corner, where it's most bare. The taller plant is on the opposite side.
lol What is your closest distance to basking right now from the fixture to the branch? I'm guessing the fixture sits on the top bump of the cabinet right? And your using window screening yes?

What I can see from this totally depends on your distances. With UVB and a 6% bulb you do not want it any closer then 9 inches. So it depends on how close it is now. I can't tell if you have a branch running across the top or if the vines are whats being used and they hang lower.

lol What is your closest distance to basking right now from the fixture to the branch? I'm guessing the fixture sits on the top bump of the cabinet right? And your using window screening yes?

What I can see from this totally depends on your distances. With UVB and a 6% bulb you do not want it any closer then 9 inches. So it depends on how close it is now. I can't tell if you have a branch running across the top or if the vines are whats being used and they hang lower.

20200803_201219.jpg

This a where 2 vines cross, I'd consider his basking spot. The uvb at this spot is about 2 inches above the screen(aluminum window screen)
20200803_201157.jpg

This is the other side, again the uvb is about 2 inches above the screen here.
How good are chams, especially juveniles, at 'knowing' where the right place to bask is? He still climbs the top which I know absolutely puts him at risk for thermal and uv burns, but I check him several times a day and mist strategically to shoo him back down, lol. Will the current setup be OK even if the plants really fill out? He spends an awful lot of time in l the top 3rd(even in his previous enclosure, set up similarly).

View attachment 273850
This a where 2 vines cross, I'd consider his basking spot. The uvb at this spot is about 2 inches above the screen(aluminum window screen)
View attachment 273852
This is the other side, again the uvb is about 2 inches above the screen here.
How good are chams, especially juveniles, at 'knowing' where the right place to bask is? He still climbs the top which I know absolutely puts him at risk for thermal and uv burns, but I check him several times a day and mist strategically to shoo him back down, lol. Will the current setup be OK even if the plants really fill out? He spends an awful lot of time in l the top 3rd(even in his previous enclosure, set up similarly).
So you want a branch going horizontally across at 7 inches down from the top on each side. He will choose the areas that he prefers. But with the fixture raised by the hump in the cabinet you have to account for the 2 inches above the screen on the sides with where your basking branch is. Keep in mind... The UVB is directly below the fixture. It disperses quite quickly as you move out to the sides outside of the reflector. They know where their UVB is but the problem is giving them the right spaces to access it. If they are not comfortable in those spaces they won't spend time there.

Your current set up will be ok even if plants fill out as long as you have the basking side open which you need to anyways for the heat lamp. Otherwise it will just fry your plants. I do not see a reason to ever use a 12% in a single or dual fixture unless the cage is set up for a 12 inch drop away from the fixture. Nothing being closer then 12 inches.

Here is one of my enclosures... So I have multiple branches but I have a main basking level that is secure. He picks where he wants to be. That high point on the right is next to my UVB bulb but the bulb is not directly above it it is literally 1 inch away in a reflector and I do not have any UVB there. That is how finicky UVB lighting is. My baby spends a lot of time up there because of the heat from the T5 but for the first half of the day he sits on the left directly below the uvb fixture.

IMG_5061.jpg

Back
Top Bottom