UVB/Plant Lighting

alara

I'm new to the chameleon world, and want to make sure I'm getting the right lighting for my veiled chameleon. I just purchased this plant light fixture and want to replace one of the bulbs with a T5 uvb bulb. I'm looking into getting an arcadia 12% and raising the fixture above the screen enclosure. Will these bulbs combined be too much for my chameleon or will it be fine? Also I'm using a separate 75w bulb for basking.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210803-213727.jpg
    Screenshot_20210803-213727.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 88
Hi, and welcome on here! Do you know if each socket has their own reflector or are they only separated, no reflectors? That’ll change what bulb strength you need. Also, how big is your cage (that can change bulb strengths, too)?

Hi, and welcome on here! Do you know if each socket has their own reflector or are they only separated, no reflectors? That’ll change what bulb strength you need. Also, how big is your cage (that can change bulb strengths, too
It says it has interior reflective panels. And I have an 18x18x31 screen cage. I know it's not the standard size but I don't have room for a bigger cage right now.

With the dual vivosun it has individual reflectors. Two options with it.
If you get the 12% bulb the fixture has to be raised 11-12 inches above the basking branch for an approximate 3 UVI level. This would involve raising the actual fixture up off the cage otherwise you loose too much of the cage space.

or get the 6% bulb and the fixture has to be 8-9 inches above the basking branch for an approximate 3 UVI level. Most people will sit it on top of the cage and then have the branch below where it needs to be with the 6%.

I would not do a 75 watt heat bulb with this vivosun. They put out some heat not their own. Maybe a 60 watt.

Do you have a male or a female veiled?

With the dual vivosun it has individual reflectors. Two options with it.
If you get the 12% bulb the fixture has to be raised 11-12 inches above the basking branch for an approximate 3 UVI level. This would involve raising the actual fixture up off the cage otherwise you loose too much of the cage space.

or get the 6% bulb and the fixture has to be 8-9 inches above the basking branch for an approximate 3 UVI level. Most people will sit it on top of the cage and then have the branch below where it needs to be with the 6%.

I would not do a 75 watt heat bulb with this vivosun. They put out some heat not their own. Maybe a 60 watt.

Do you have a male or a female veiled?
Ok, I guess I'll see how far up I can raise the fixture and choose the bulb strength based off of that. I originally had a 60 watt bulb but the basking temperature was too low. That's why I changed it to 75. Of course I don't have the dual fixture yet though. It should be coming in today, so I'll find out for sure what wattage I need once I get it set up. I have a 2 year old male veiled.

Ok, I guess I'll see how far up I can raise the fixture and choose the bulb strength based off of that. I originally had a 60 watt bulb but the basking temperature was too low. That's why I changed it to 75. Of course I don't have the dual fixture yet though. It should be coming in today, so I'll find out for sure what wattage I need once I get it set up. I have a 2 year old male veiled.
So for your male you would want basking temps no hotter then 80-85max. Test your temps with the vivo sun because you should be pretty close to those temps if its sitting on the top of the cage with a 5.0 or 6% UVB bulb. Just make sure the UVB has a stick positioned under it when you put it into the placement you want. I would definitely raise it if your using the 12% since he is in a smaller cage, he really needs all the usable space he can get.

So for your male you would want basking temps no hotter then 80-85max. Test your temps with the vivo sun because you should be pretty close to those temps if its sitting on the top of the cage with a 5.0 or 6% UVB bulb. Just make sure the UVB has a stick positioned under it when you put it into the placement you want. I would definitely raise it if your using the 12% since he is in a smaller cage, he really needs all the usable space he can get.
Ok, I will do that. Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom