Uvb people, thoughts regarding powerful bulbs on for short duration

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
Need some input here friends. I have my parsonii in the garage for winter brumation. He hides a lot during this time and tends to avoid a lot of light, even in his old enclosure. Since the area is so large I thought I'd use this bulb I had leftover.

MyComfyPets UVB Light and UVA 2-in-1 Reptile Bulb 100W for Bearded Dragons and All Reptiles (400 UVB) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWSJKJ6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_33b4DbM9BNMKS

So I set it up a few feet away and most of his spots are reaching anywhere from 1.0-3.0 on the solarmeter. Then around that, between leaves and hidden(where he usually is), it's about .3-.5. Right where the beam of light focuses in a small section it reaches up to ~10.0! His schedule, even in the summer and less in the winter, is bask for an hour or 2 and then retreat into the shade. So I was thinking of maybe just running it for an hour or 2 a day max. During brumation, little to no food for several months, I'd imagine his metabolism and need for d3 is pretty close to halted. Really not sure about this though. Any thoughts would be great. I highly doubt I'll ever find him in the 10.0 spot, but in the case that he was I wouldn't want that to hurt him. Would an hour of that do any damage? How does that compare to 8-12hrs of very low uvb?

Good questions, I would go with a less % uvb for 8-10 hrs just like winter months with dark clouds . I read the product description on the bulb in question and it says it doesn't put out UVC. The first thing i look for in any MVB. Although some uvc may be beneficial in sterilizing harmful bacteria I like to leave sterilization up to direct sunlight.

"Full summer sun in the united states is about 6.5". A 10 in a small spot will not be a problem, since they will never align their body to the same spot over and over. The only concern is if your cham is very resourceful, and can some how align say its head to the 10.0 spot over and over.

But think of it another way, you are in Florida, your cham basks for 2 hours in the sun at 6.5, or 1.5 hours in the sun at 10.0. Its not going to be a big difference. And like you said most of the area is 1-3.

If anything you could adjust the angle so the hot spot is a progressive oval.

What would happen in the wild? How much light would they get when they brumate over there? That's what I try to decide when I'm tryIng to figure out what to do...then go from there.

Last edited:
Need some input here friends. I have my parsonii in the garage for winter brumation. He hides a lot during this time and tends to avoid a lot of light, even in his old enclosure. Since the area is so large I thought I'd use this bulb I had leftover.

MyComfyPets UVB Light and UVA 2-in-1 Reptile Bulb 100W for Bearded Dragons and All Reptiles (400 UVB) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWSJKJ6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_33b4DbM9BNMKS

So I set it up a few feet away and most of his spots are reaching anywhere from 1.0-3.0 on the solarmeter. Then around that, between leaves and hidden(where he usually is), it's about .3-.5. Right where the beam of light focuses in a small section it reaches up to ~10.0! His schedule, even in the summer and less in the winter, is bask for an hour or 2 and then retreat into the shade. So I was thinking of maybe just running it for an hour or 2 a day max. During brumation, little to no food for several months, I'd imagine his metabolism and need for d3 is pretty close to halted. Really not sure about this though. Any thoughts would be great. I highly doubt I'll ever find him in the 10.0 spot, but in the case that he was I wouldn't want that to hurt him. Would an hour of that do any damage? How does that compare to 8-12hrs of very low uvb?

Exo terra sunray metal halide light.. i used this in my freerange and this is massive high output and will have uvb for ever

Exo terra sunray metal halide light.. i used this in my freerange and this is massive high output and will have uvb for ever

What readings do you aim for/how long?

I saw my boy basking in the uvb today, I had it set for 2 hrs, 11am-1pm, but it seems most of the spots, including the one he was basking at, are about .4 to ~1.5(spot he was at). A few others seem to be up to around 3.0, but I angled it so the main beam of light is out of his reach for the most part. I upped the lights to 4 hrs now. I can't imagine during winter they'd see more than a few hours of uvb? and considering where they're from looks to be a dense rainforest.

Last edited:
I’ve used the 70w Sunray for years. It still produces UVB (6.5 UVI at 8 inches through mesh), but has lost its ability to produce any heat for basking. I’ve replaced it with a powerful LED bulb. I would have replaced the Sunray bulb, but couldn’t find any anywhere. Not sure if they are discontinued or not.

I’ve used the 70w Sunray for years. It still produces UVB (6.5 UVI at 8 inches through mesh), but has lost its ability to produce any heat for basking. I’ve replaced it with a powerful LED bulb. I would have replaced the Sunray bulb, but couldn’t find any anywhere. Not sure if they are discontinued or not.
I got a box of 6 here if you want

Absolutely not good for basking (not enough heat) but Wonderfull for uvb! :)

Back
Top Bottom