uvb pass through plants?

xxaprilrose

Established Member
ok weird question but does UVB pass through plants? Or better yet does the chameleon have to be directly under the uvb (8-10 inches) or can they be slightly to the left or right and get the same amount of uvb? I ask because i just realized my pothos plant is taking over my enclosure and i realize now that its covering his two uvb branches so f he were on the branches the plant would be above him rather than the UVB. ill have to take pics in a bit. I will prob have to trim it but hes enjoying all the plants taking over so its a bummer but will do it if i need to.

Awesome answers everyone thank u! I trimmed off Two very large stems from it and all top branches are completely free. He’s very mad at me for this but hey 😂 he looked at me like “those are my plants lady!”

ok weird question but does UVB pass through plants?
I've only tested that on plants in the enclosure; both were negative. However:
https://www.climate-policy-watcher....cific-effects-of-uvb-radiation-on-plants.html

Or better yet does the chameleon have to be directly under the uvb (8-10 inches) or can they be slightly to the left or right and get the same amount of uvb?
They can be slightly left or right, but may not receive the same amount because the reflectors only increase the output pretty much straight down. Note: Not to Scale

1636396818059.png
I ask because i just realized my pothos plant is taking over my enclosure and i realize now that its covering his two uvb branches so f he were on the branches the plant would be above him rather than the UVB. ill have to take pics in a bit. I will prob have to trim it but hes enjoying all the plants taking over so its a bummer but will do it if i need to.
Shade is important though, in case they want to get out of the UVB or reduce their exposure. (See link below). I second recommendations to trim plants where necessary.

I'd only add that there are right & wrong ways to trim/prune certain plants depending on the objective of the pruning. For that I would search: pruning [name of plant].

UVB can not pass through the leaves of plants....however...sitting in the shade, there can still be some UVB...
https://blog.dana-farber.org/insight/2018/05/staying-shade-prevent-sunburn/
Also:

Back
Top Bottom