UVB not Thermal Burn Treatment? Is there one?

WilcoxAE

Established Member
How does one go at treating a UVB burn? It is not a thermal burn.

I had a light malfunction. The 2 chameleons were acting nuts with a new ZooMed bulb. I discounted it for hunger or something. Well, a day later, they are all lethargic, eyes closed all the time, dark, and they appear to have tried shedding. They have stuck shed around their eyes. All indicative of UVB over exposure.

I briefly tested the bulb over another chameleon to see if they also acted the same and within minutes, the chameleon was acting as though they must escape or die. I, of course, removed the said bulb and the chameleon went back to normal.

Is there really any type of treatment for a UVB burn of the eyes like I have with my guys? I can not really find much on Google regarding this. I do not think there is any reason for topical silver sulfadiazine cream treatment as there are no wounds?

I will apply saline drops to their eyes, provide extra showers for the increased humidity to help with shedding of burned skin, and watch their condition. Is this something that just clears up on its own, ya think?

Sunburns heal up for us, i dont see why they wouldnt heal up for a cham. I was gonna suggest an aloe Vera based gel, but im not sure if that would be good for a cham as some of them contain ladicane

Is it in the corneas? Do not use artificial UVB for a while, if you can get them outside once a day for 30 minutes a day at least for natural UVB to supplement. I would 1 week you should start seeing some improvements. Saline should help but don't do that until a few days in. Dropping it in to sensitive eyes can cause pain. How long was the UVB on them, hoping no permenant damage has been done? Use the shower method most and increase misting times.

Thanks guys. Well, I do not know if it is in the cornea seeing as they have a few layers of uh, eyeball but their eyeballs are not happy. Stuck shed around them too.

Ok, so I will wait on the eye drops for a bit and just give them some shower extra time.

UVB was on them 1-2 daysish?

Oh well...here we go

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-info.htm

What is photo-kerato-conjunctivitis?

caseAM-bluetongue1.jpg
This is a painful eye condition caused by excessive exposure to UV radiation.

It is exactly the same as "snow blindness" in skiers, from excessive UV reflected from snow, and "arc welder's flash" experienced by people working with metal welding equipment, who have not worn protective glasses. It is very painful - like having sand in your eyes - and it is caused by damage to the delicate transparent cells on the surface of the eye (the cornea) and the lining of the eyelids. Fortunately, only the superficial layers of the eye are affected; the lens and retina are not damaged (the UVB does not reach the deep structures of the eye) and so it does not cause permanent blindness.

The pain is protective (it makes sufferers close their eyes) and healing begins at once, when the harmful UV light is removed. Unless there have been serious burns, the eyes heal remarkably quickly. The damaged cells are replaced within days and the pain disappears.

Most cases open their eyes again within 2 - 3 days and all symptoms are gone within a week or so, with no medication being necessary. If there has been skin damage to the eyelids this may take a little longer and veterinary examination is essential in case the damaged skin has become infected. We have heard reports of some cases with a sticky discharge from the eye and/or peeling of the skin around the eyelids.

Mind you the above post, is from exposure to "non terrestrial" UVB(really deep UVB and mostly UVC that is not detected by meters, that is a lot higher than sunlight) from the first batch of cfl uvb bulbs from a decade ago. The odds of finding one on the shelve(they were all recalled) is very low. Even if the bulb malfunctioned, a phosphor can only emit what its formulated to. UVB bulbs only have 1 UVB phosphor, even if the bulb could emit 10x what it should, it would still only be and high as a 12% T5 HO.

What "bulb" are you using?

Back
Top Bottom