UVB meter.

6.2 is what you need

There isn't a good or a bad UVB meter.... but there are different types of meters made by Solarmeter that are not very useful to us.

The 6.2 reads UVB in a range. So this meter will not tell you if a zoomed has better UVB than an exo terra, based on the reading. It will just tell you if i has more volume... Does that make sense? It can tell you how loud the music is, but not if it sounds good. :eek:

So really the purpose of this meter is to determine if a lamp is deteriorating. It is also good for when setting up lamps in a new cage or free range. You can make sure that the basking spot has enough UVB light.

In order to see what UVB your lamp is making, each specific band of UVB, you need a spectrograph..... on the low price range your looking at about $4,500...... :eek: Since we have UV Guide telling us more details of the lamps, we can reference the site when we need to know more specifics about each type of lamp.

In order to see what UVB your lamp is making, each specific band of UVB, you need a spectrograph..... on the low price range your looking at about $4,500......
Is there a recommended spectrograph? Would it tell me quality quantity of UVA UVB UVC?

I do not have the link with me right now for the kind I had found. But if you do some searching for USB spectrographs some should pop up.

Each meter out on the market has its range. I do not know what each one is but you should be able to see most of the scale. I think the one I looked at does not show all of the UVC range? It has been a while since I looked. I stopped thinking about them after the sticker shock lol.

Some context for evaluating ....

I read all this mention about bands, etc., cost involved, etc., evaluating artificial UVB, etc. I think that you can get a very adequate UVB meter in the $200-250 range, and would like to comment on an evaluation process.

Your first "control" in any process should be the real sun. Prior to measuring her (or him ?), you need to be sure your meter measures UVB only, and this can be done by using a variety of UVB blocking materials, such as window glass, to be sure your meter registers zero when evaluating sunshine through such. Then also aim it at light that has no UVB, such as standard incandescent bulbs, and be sure it still registers "zero". When aimed at the real deal, the sun (him or her), you should see a substantial reading. It doesn't matter what it is, as each meter may be different in increments measured, except that it should be reasonably high (hopefully in the 100's of whatever the increments are), and that is then your "control" or "standard" for that meter. Whatever else you want to measure after that will be evaluated in comparison to the reading for the real sun. Keep in mind that the highest readings for the sun will occur btw 12-2 PM on low humidity cloudless days.

If you want to compare your bulbs to the sun, you now have a reference. If you want to check a bulb that is 6 months old vs. a new one, so long as you measured it new, or another one when new, you can compare them. If you are looking to see what plastics and films transmit UVB, you have a reference.

Mankind decided that UVB can be classified as wavelengths of roughly 280-320 nm's. As for specific bandwiths within that UVB spectrum, for that you would need more expensive meters. However, I doubt it is worth the effort. Research suggests that UVB in the mid 290's nm range is most beneficial, but the research does not lead one to want to avoid or disregard other bandwiths. Rather, conventional wisdom is to try to cover them all. Many keepers can tell you that they have had success with such as Reptisun 5.0's. Do you need to shell out thousands to measure what has already been shown to work ? Not likely.

Good luck.

I read all this mention about bands, etc., cost involved, etc., evaluating artificial UVB, etc. I think that you can get a very adequate UVB meter in the $200-250 range, and would like to comment on an evaluation process.

Are you saying that someone makes a spectrograph in the UVB range for around the price of $200-250 or are you referring to the Solarmeter branded meters?

Your first "control" in any process should be the real sun. Prior to measuring her (or him ?), you need to be sure your meter measures UVB only, and this can be done by using a variety of UVB blocking materials, such as window glass, to be sure your meter registers zero when evaluating sunshine through such. Then also aim it at light that has no UVB, such as standard incandescent bulbs, and be sure it still registers "zero". When aimed at the real deal, the sun (him or her), you should see a substantial reading. It doesn't matter what it is, as each meter may be different in increments measured, except that it should be reasonably high (hopefully in the 100's of whatever the increments are), and that is then your "control" or "standard" for that meter. Whatever else you want to measure after that will be evaluated in comparison to the reading for the real sun. Keep in mind that the highest readings for the sun will occur btw 12-2 PM on low humidity cloudless days.

If you are reading μW/cm² of UVB on a Solarmeter 6.2 comparing the sun to a UVB lamp doesn't have much meaning for us keepers... other than to see the difference. Using the sun as a guide of how much UVB to give your chameleon wouldn't be a good idea. The sun at mid day has far too much UVB radiation for what chameleons will need or want for an extended period of time. Most will take shelter in the shade. Since chams in cages with UVB lamps can't really escape the UVB except to go lower in the cage its a good idea to provide a level of UVB that gives a nice 'average'.

If you want to compare your bulbs to the sun, you now have a reference. If you want to check a bulb that is 6 months old vs. a new one, so long as you measured it new, or another one when new, you can compare them. If you are looking to see what plastics and films transmit UVB, you have a reference.

Mankind decided that UVB can be classified as wavelengths of roughly 280-320 nm's. As for specific bandwiths within that UVB spectrum, for that you would need more expensive meters. However, I doubt it is worth the effort. Research suggests that UVB in the mid 290's nm range is most beneficial, but the research does not lead one to want to avoid or disregard other bandwiths. Rather, conventional wisdom is to try to cover them all. Many keepers can tell you that they have had success with such as Reptisun 5.0's. Do you need to shell out thousands to measure what has already been shown to work ? Not likely.

Good luck.

Maybe im just saying the same thing...

Back
Top Bottom