Uvb meter

Came across this whilst looking for a cheaper uvb meter. Would this give the correct readings for the chams lights? Or would it need to be a reptile specific one?

KKmoon Precision Solar Power Meter Light Intensity Measurement Radiation Tester SM206 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010SNWOSO/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_IJd9vbV7WC9YB

Here's the catch when using off brand UV measuring instrument / meter.

("Off brand" meaning something OTHER than a Solarmeter 6.2 or 6.5)

All readings and references in the reptile world are pretty much based on the Solarmeter readings since they are the oldest and most reliable brand.

And all other meters will give you different readings because they are reading different bandwidths of UV light, using different sensors and internal electronics. Between them, they are not standardized.

And there is not just one bandwidth/ wavelength that is being measured by a meter.

So -
using any off brand meter, how will you know what the readings should be??
You really don't.
Nope...
you don't unless you have a Solarmeter too to take the same reading and do conversions - then you may be able to figure out the UV numbers.

That is the problem with using just any meter-
- you have to really know what "swath" of UV it is sampling .. and then correlate that to readings off a Solarmeter that is used as the standard to measure by.

Everyone I know personally that has tried some other UV measuring meter or device ALWAYS ends up getting a Solarmeter.
But you can always be adventurous and try out that meter and report back to us.
;);)

Cheers.
Todd

PS.
I am actually testing a less expensive UV meter (retail 150.00) from China right now at LYR...
But I still can not get over the fact that it reads so different than a solar meter 6.2.
If I sold it,
I fear it would cause havoc and confusion in the free world because people would not know how to correlate the readings with what their friends are getting with their Solarmeters.

PSS:
Big HINT:
some companies in the US can ship something small like a UV meter to Europe ... and I think meters are quite a bit less expensive in the US. ;)
Its a Paypal world. :) Cheers.

I wouldn't waste my money on that one. Go ahead and get the Solarmeter 6.2. Todd from Ship Your Reptiles, site sponsor, sales them and sometimes even offers a special on them. http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/solarmeters/

Thank you. ;):)

I try to keep the cost down since these are such a valuable tool to have...

but it is true... no matter how you slice it, they are pretty expensive.

One thing I remind folks is that it is one piece of equipment that does not depreciate much at all.

If you ever got out of reptiles...
(forbid no.... but hypothetically if it ever happened)
you could always sell a solarmeter for almost as much as you paid for it if it was in good shape.

So it is definitely NOT a money looser.

With what it does for you and how you can test and stop wasting UV bulbs when they still have "kick" left in them...

OR conversely-- and MOST IMPORTANT:

see what UV bulbs ARE NOT working and save money on Cham MBD vet bills down the road!!

They last forever.
Even the batteries last in them for 3-4 years! :)

Cheers
Todd

Thanks guys!

I'm a bit strapped for cash just now to be splashing out on a solarmeter but I'll definitely be saving for one in the near future!

If you can get them shipped to the UK then I will hit you up once I can afford one! :D

I've recently purchased the arcadia slimline t5 fixture and 12% bulb which I was wanting the meter for as it's on top of a reptibreeze xl and shaded by some big leaves but my veiled seems to be enjoying it so far :D

Back
Top Bottom