UVB Lighting

Thomas Bower

I have two 2x2x4 cages located next to each other. (thin vinyl divider between them) I have ordered a 36 inch incandescent and flourescent combo hood. I plan to have it straddle the two cages with basking lights and a single tube in it. What is coming is a Reptisun 5. Will this be enough UVB for the two cages or do I need a 10?

It seems more people are using the plant grow lights which I believe are cheaper bulbs. You may wanna go with that just my 2 cents:) if the bulb reaches along both cages sufficiently then a 5 I think would be fine. That's what I use.

I am hanging a 4 foot T12 single bulb 6500 above the cages as a plant light so each cham will have it plus one 40-60 watt incand and their half of the 36 inch UVB 5 reptisun. Question is whether 5 is enough.

yes 5.0 is enough. That is what the majority of us use. I have two cages also 24 X 24 X 48 and I use the 36 inch fixtures diagonally with a 24 inch Reptisun 5.0 edit: I posted below. Just to clarify I use TWO fixtures and TWO 5.0's one for each cagee.

Last edited:
It seems more people are using the plant grow lights which I believe are cheaper bulbs. You may wanna go with that just my 2 cents:) if the bulb reaches along both cages sufficiently then a 5 I think would be fine. That's what I use.

Negative. Ppl are using the 5600k for plants along with uvb still. For the uvb to be enuff emitted the bulb has differnt metals in the bulb, not all bulbs emit the lvl of uvb needed and a plant light is not a replacement for a uvb light. U can get 48 long double light t8 fixtures from lowes cheaply.

I am sorry I misunderstood your question. 5.0 is enough for the one cage. I use two 36 inch hoods with two 24 inch bulbs, one for each cage diagonally. I would not try and stretch it over two cages.

Please Do Not use grow lights as a substitute for uvb lights. :(
http://www.anapsid.org/liteheat.html
"UVB (Ultraviolet B) and UVA (Ultraviolet A)
The only lights that can safely provide these two critical wavelengths to your diurnal reptiles are the UVB/A producing fluorescents made for the reptile pet trade. (Note: for the problems associated with the use of screw-in compact fluorescents, please see my comments in the UV Table article referenced below.)

Fish/Aquarium and plant "grow" lights-incandescent and fluorescent-do not produce UVB. Tanning salon fluorescents, tubes made for phototherapy for humans, germicidal UV tubes, and mercury vapor lights, all of which produce UV, do so at levels that are unsafe for the reptiles and their keepers. Many of these produce very high levels of UV and are designed to be used for very limited periods of time and require that protective eye gear be worn (and to my knowledge, despite the availability of ponchos, sombreros, and motorcycle jackets, no one has made UV resistant goggles for iguanas yet....)."

Back
Top Bottom