Uvb lighting

Hi,
I'll be a owner of a medium size veiled chameleon male soon. Recently purchased a t5 fixture that came with a 5.0 reptisun bulb. Is this bulb ok to use or is there another kind needed. My next question is should I mount it on top or inside the enclosure. Don't think inside is possible really nothing to mount to. That and safety of the reptile. Went with a reptibreeze cage with LED lighting built with it. Just waiting to get the little guy when temps are safe to ship.

The 5.0 should be fine. Just make sure he has perching branches 8-10" from the bulb and to replace it after 6 months unless you have a solarmeter to test the uvi levels of your bulb after 6 months. Arcadias cost a little bit more but last at least 12 months.

Thanks just another question. Will these work for heating?

Attachments

• IMG_20191111_171749523.jpg
    IMG_20191111_171749523.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 93
That depends on how close you put it to the basking zone. Use whatever heat measuring device you have, and the bulb up so that the temp at about 2” above the basking branch is around 85
Hi I met can they be used for basking bulbs? Unsure mostly because can't find the ones I used before for basking. Soft white bulbs on dimmer switch for correct temps. I use a temp gun.

Got my little guy today and shows his male appeal. Just wanna see if i set him up correctly. Have to hand mist for a few days. Waiting on a part for misting system.

Attachments

• IMG_20191113_123029656.jpg
    IMG_20191113_123029656.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20191113_121910123.jpg
    IMG_20191113_121910123.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 102
Got my little guy today and shows his male appeal. Just wanna see if i set him up correctly. Have to hand mist for a few days. Waiting on a part for misting system.
You're getting there. You want to have quite a few horizontal climbing opportunities at different heights within the enclosure so the Cham can self regulate. Also you want want want a live plant for humidity, extra foliage, air quality in general.

Here's my setups.
20191112_130645.jpg

You're getting there. You want to have quite a few horizontal climbing opportunities at different heights within the enclosure so the Cham can self regulate. Also you want want want a live plant for humidity, extra foliage, air quality in general.

Here's my setups.
View attachment 251228
Thanks for the heads up. What would you recommend with plants. Soil wise and types. Have a pothos but needs to be transplanted and pot is corroded. Still trying figure out the misting system. Got the part today but isn't working still. Have my eyes on mistking starter kit but alittle low on cash for the 130 online. Just looking for something that's not going to have issues down the road like my rs400 monsoon. It pushes out air and then a bead of water after the unit turns off. Wish I knew this before I got my Cham. Thought had everything set. But nothing I can do atm.

Love his coloring! Veileds tend to nibble their plants so you want to make sure they are safe. Pothos are excellent and great for your guy’s enclosure. Dracaenas, schefflera (umbrella plant) and hibiscus are known to be safe. There’s many different types of Dracaena and I believe all are okay. You will want to gently wash the leaves and repot in an organic soil. Cover the top with at least 1” river rock to prevent your Cham from eating the soil. Some say ficus or weeping fig is ok, but the sap is toxic and I personally don’t risk it.

You may need to get creative in finding/making places to be able to place the plants on more than just the cage floor. I use Dragon strand ledges but they may not be in your budget atm. Some sturdy wood dowels and zip ties and you could make a scaffolding to support plants.

Love his coloring! Veileds tend to nibble their plants so you want to make sure they are safe. Pothos are excellent and great for your guy’s enclosure. Dracaenas, schefflera (umbrella plant) and hibiscus are known to be safe. There’s many different types of Dracaena and I believe all are okay. You will want to gently wash the leaves and repot in an organic soil. Cover the top with at least 1” river rock to prevent your Cham from eating the soil. Some say ficus or weeping fig is ok, but the sap is toxic and I personally don’t risk it.
I have miracle gro potting soil would that be ok to use? If it's ok just need something to clean the pot with. It's ceramic pot. Can post a photo also.

This would be the one. Got it from a family member. Put some river Stone on the top. Soil is black and Sandy. Had to clean the pot with some CLR and rinsed it afterwards with hot water. Let me know opinion if I should add it to the enclosure or not. I'm get the mistking starter 4.0 kit. But have to wait until mid December.

Attachments

• IMG_20191115_182214245.jpg
    IMG_20191115_182214245.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20191115_182227320.jpg
    IMG_20191115_182227320.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 86
Back
Top Bottom