Uvb lighting

Just wanted to chime in about UVB lighting. I was wondering is the compact fluorescent bulb good enough or should I go to the linear UVB fluorescent bulb? Any and all advice would be totally appreciated

I use the linear UVB fluorescent bulb. Most will advise on that. It puts out more lighting throughout the enclosure. Others will chime in, I'm sure.

Just to be a bit different I have an Exo Terra compact hood that allows for 3 CFLs to be screwed in. I alternate between 2 plant lights and 1 UVB to 2 UVBs and 1 plant. I think this is sufficient and will get the job done; however a good linear T5 HO dual tube set up would be much better and I will be upgrading eventually.

Ultimately you can save money by doing CFLs (because the fixtures are less expensive) and it will work but the linear tubes are a bit better for coverage and when you're playing bulb musical chairs like I am the linear tubes are much easier.

Thank you to everyone's advice.

Another question. What are the general feeling on mercury vapor bulbs?

They are hot, dry out an enclosure quickly, and are used mostly for tortoises and other animals that like it hot and dry. That said if I recall correctly there are those who swear by them and I am sure used correctly could make a great basking light because they can get UVB as well. I'm far from an expert though, I just know what I've read in the past but in summary they could be great for those who really know how to use them, for the rest of us sticking with florescent (and maybe LED soon?) is probably the best bet.

I use 2 compact bulbs (both lighting up opposite ends) and they work well. I have the 36inch canopy dome from exo terra with 2 daylight ion bulbs and 2 reptisun 5.0's

This is good to watch because it shows you the difference in penetration of UV in a cage environment by the different bulb types.
You can draw you own conclusions :)... but I think you will see the drawbacks of the cfls.

This video shows the UV levels and penetration through screen of a single bulb HO t5 fixture w/ parabolic reflector fitted with an Arcadia 12%.

NOTE:
This specific single bulb parabolic fixture would be too strong for anything but very large cham enclosure when fitted with the 12% bulb...

However, the same fixture fitted with a 6% UVB bulb would be the one to use on med. to larger cham cages.

Cheers!
Todd
www.lightyourreptiles.com

Back
Top Bottom