uvb light?

jessica5150

hello everyone soo i know that the reptisun 5.0 is recommended for our little guys ... well i was just woundering if the reptasun 5.0 will do just as well ?

i guess it doesnt say reptiglo on it lol
it says full spectrum lighting 5.0 repta*sun and then on the box it says a quality fluker laboratories product....

anywho its probably the same thing
thanx for the reply :)

i guess it doesnt say reptiglo on it lol
it says full spectrum lighting 5.0 repta*sun and then on the box it says a quality fluker laboratories product....

anywho its probably the same thing
thanx for the reply :)

Oh, my mistake, it's not the one I assumed.......is it a tube or a coil?

hello everyone soo i know that the reptisun 5.0 is recommended for our little guys ... well i was just woundering if the reptasun 5.0 will do just as well ?
Howdy Jessica,

Sorry, it looks like the Flukers Reptasun products do not perform well. http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/UVB_Meter_Owners/message/7396

Quote: "...In some cases very misleading, like the ReptaSun 10.0 from Fluker which plays on the Reptisun name and has tested at zero on the meter even with the meter touching the bulb."

Stick with the ZooMed Reptisun 5.0 linear tube.

Here's a table from a study done a few years ago. As can be seen, the Reptisun 5.0 has a very good D3 Yield Index value:

http://www.testudo.cc/Pages/Table 4.html

A couple of the notable table values for D3 Yield Index
ZooMed Reptisun 5.0 UVB 439.3
ZooMed Reptisun 5.0 UVB (used.) 367.7
R.C. Hagen Exo-Terra Repti Glo 8.0 190.2
R.C. Hagen Exo-Terra Repti Glo 5.0 150.8

Last edited:
Woah, that's a big difference. Thanks Dave, I will have to get a couple of ZooMed Reptisun 5.0 linear tubes before winter......

We own two pet stores and I have a U.V.B. meter and every bulb except Zilla performed well. Zoo Med had a longer lasting input then Exo Terra or Fluker but it also reflected in the price. However if you are using mercury vapor bulbs the old style T-Rex bulb out performed all others hands down. I have no bias as to which brand you use but I will tell you that the Fluker bulb does produce adequate U.V.B. I would also let you know that Zilla sent a letter out to all the pet stores stating that a new type of gas was to be used to produce the U.V.B for better quality. I would also restate that I have not retested since then (2009).

I use to have the results and pictures but I will look back through and see if they still exist on the store computer. Otherwise I will do them again although I don't know if I have another fluker bulb to test.

Dave: As always you once again provide good helpful info. I'm always at a lost as to why this comes up so often. It seems every time a new study comes out it just reaffirms the only logical choice for lighting. I understand in unique applications like free-range or really large cages other options might be better. So for the majority of cases let's finally all agree ZooMed ReptiSun 5.0.
On a side note the chart mentions a used bulb, if you dig deeper the bulb is 10 months old and it still beats out all of the other bulbs!!

Back
Top Bottom