UVB leds ????

CasqueAbove

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I have not heard of this but it may give hope. If I understand correctly the UVB needed is 290-310nm, This is claiming 293nm led for D3 production.
Not this is for medical use in humans, but it means we may have something headed our way ? It is also from 2017 I believe.

Research published in Scientific Reports shows that light from RayVio's 293nm ultraviolet (UV) LED is more efficient than sunlight at producing vitamin D3 in skin samples. Tyler Kalajian and his research team, led by Dr. Michael F. Holick, Ph.D., M.D., and supported by Boston University School of Medicine and a Boston University Ignition Award, found that skin samples exposed to RayVio's UV LED for just 0.52 minutes produced more than twice as much vitamin D3 as samples exposed to 32.5 minutes of sunlight.

Full
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/09/170913193101.htm

OK I am finding these
High UV B power for phototherapy
RayVio XR 308nm Series UV LEDs deliver high-power and high-efficiency UV B light for phototherapy with peak spectral wavelength output of 308nm.

These devices are designed to meet the most demanding and mission critical applications in the healthcare and well being segments.

Alright lighting guys, is this an answer ? I don't have price yet, but they are sold as a single chip light.

Where not there yet, but soon. There is some Promising starts coming out of China, still not ready, but getting close!

The LEDs seem to work, however the current implementation (A Spot Bulb format) isnt going to work, once they address that, then we will have something to work with and test and tell the china men where the issues are, so this can become a thing.

In answer to your question, 295 is the peak of D3 production, its the most efficient at it. It also makes up a very small amount of UVB in the Suns spectrum. So while it is better at D3 production, 310 is still responsible for more of the actual D3 Production in the body.

Last edited:
It looks like they are here, these are medical grade, I am finding some at $6 a unit 295nm
https://www.digikey.com/product-det...-073707/1807-RVXR-295-SM-073707CT-ND/10271154

But I have seen the 308nm for $139 just the led, did not even look at driver. So that would stop 985 of us.

See my edit, I wasn't done :). You want 310, also need UVA as reptiles see it, and our UV bulbs give it to us.

Then you need to balance the 2 together as they are in our bulbs (or mimic the sun) then you need to make the LEDs spread.

When I said we were almost there, I meant almost had a commercial offering, from a Chinese company. Unless you are good at micro soldering and have 5-8k for a really good UV spectrometer, might want to let china do it :p.

See my edit, I wasn't done :). You want 310, also need UVA as reptiles see it, and our UV bulbs give it to us.

Then you need to balance the 2 together as they are in our bulbs (or mimic the sun) then you need to make the LEDs spread.

When I said we were almost there, I meant almost had a commercial offering, from a Chinese company. Unless you are good at micro soldering and have 5-8k for a really good UV spectrometer, might want to let china do it :p.

Ahh I see. Yea that is one thing I was noticing is that it seemed it could be done, but at the prices I was seeing, it could be a $1k plus experiment. And unlike many leds these were only being rated at 2000hrs,
But still happy to know that someone is working on a commercial productions.

Back
Top Bottom