Uvb Fixture Length in Relative to Cage Size

NashansCamos

Chameleon Enthusiast
I have two questions about this just for future reference.

1. Is it ok to have a single bulb 24" t5 fixture for a 30" wide cage?
2. I currently have a 24" fixture on a 24" wide cage. That cage might get upgraded to a 36" wide cage. In that case would I need a 34" fixture or can it still be a 24" fixture for 36" wide cage

The recommended advice is that the UVB run the width of the entire enclosure.... Here is some reasoning behind this.

Say you have a 24 inch fixture. These have 22 inch bulbs. If you have a solarmeter you can tell the specifics to this but. The last inch or so of the bulb does not put out the same UVI that the rest of the bulb does. So said 22 inch bulb is now reduced 2 more inches... Now you have 20 inches of UVB output on a 36 inch enclosure. Leaving 16 inches totally lacking in UVB.
Your reflector makes a difference too. Say you are using single bulb T5's The light that you see is not all UVB lighting. THe UVB output is directly below the bulb/reflector. So say the basking branch is not in alignment to the bulb... Your cham is not receiving the UVB it needs.

This is why the recommendation is always to have the UVB run the entire width of the enclosure. Multiple basking branches for the cham to choose where it wants to be.

Can you skimp and get a short fixture and put it in the middle or side and hope that the cham is basking in the perfect area. Sure you can. Is it worth the risk? IMO it is not.

The recommended advice is that the UVB run the width of the entire enclosure.... Here is some reasoning behind this.

Say you have a 24 inch fixture. These have 22 inch bulbs. If you have a solarmeter you can tell the specifics to this but. The last inch or so of the bulb does not put out the same UVI that the rest of the bulb does. So said 22 inch bulb is now reduced 2 more inches... Now you have 20 inches of UVB output on a 36 inch enclosure. Leaving 16 inches totally lacking in UVB.
Your reflector makes a difference too. Say you are using single bulb T5's The light that you see is not all UVB lighting. THe UVB output is directly below the bulb/reflector. So say the basking branch is not in alignment to the bulb... Your cham is not receiving the UVB it needs.

This is why the recommendation is always to have the UVB run the entire width of the enclosure. Multiple basking branches for the cham to choose where it wants to be.

Can you skimp and get a short fixture and put it in the middle or side and hope that the cham is basking in the perfect area. Sure you can. Is it worth the risk? IMO it is not.
Hmm ok I think i'll keep the 24" for my 30" cage as jasper is usually around the middle of his enclosure and outdoors often, but if i get a 36" wide cage then i'm definitely gonna go with the 34"

Back
Top Bottom