Uvb calculation

Ramrod

Chameleon Enthusiast
How to calculate amount of uvb emitted used in a 46" t5 quad single reflector with arcadia 12% verses a 6%? Used along with 3-6500 bulbs.
Would the only difference be in the basking height from light?
I do have a solar meter to check but wanted to get opinions before new purchase.

Last edited:
How to calculate amount of uvb emitted used in a 46" t5 quad single reflector with arcadia 12% verses a 6%? Used along with 3-6500 bulb.
Would the only difference be in the basking height from light?
Just to clarify is there one panel reflector for all 4 bulbs or does the reflector come down around each bulb like this?
Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 9.43.38 AM.png

This is where your differences are... If it is like the quad above where each bulb has the reflector that comes up in between then you would want a 6% but if it is like the odyssa quads where the reflector just sits above the bulbs and does not go between then you want the 12% and it in the back edge position.

Just to clarify is there one panel reflector for all 4 bulbs or does the reflector come down around each bulb like this?
View attachment 283586

This is where your differences are... If it is like the quad above where each bulb has the reflector that comes up in between then you would want a 6% but if it is like the odyssa quads where the reflector just sits above the bulbs and does not go between then you want the 12% and it in the back edge position.
One reflector for all

The math for a quad with a mono reflector

40% light reduction on the outer tubes
60% reduction on inner two tubes

So if it was a 50% reduction, it would turn a 12% into a 6%.

If you want a mono reflector chart
single 100%
double 160%
quad 200%

aka you would need 4 12% in a quad mono, to have twice as much UVB vs a 12% in a single.

I was debating going to a 6% but thought it may not be enough with this configuration

I was debating going to a 6% but thought it may not be enough with this configuration
I had to use a 12% when I had an odyssa quad with one single panel... But it was not equal to that of a 6% in a single bulb fixture. I had to have basking higher to make up for the reduction in uvb. Personally I would only use one if you have a solarmeter. The reduction varies depending on the quality of the reflector.

Did you mean to say 4 12% bulbs?

Uh i did not want that "interpreted" as "you need to buy 4 12%". I was just stating that a quad mono only has double the light output as a single. A quad doesnt have quad the output :)

Uh i did not want that "interpreted" as "you need to buy 4 12%". I was just stating that a quad mono only has double the light output as a single. A quad doesnt have quad the output :)
LOL ok I did not think you meant it that way but that is how I read it so I just wanted to clarify in case someone else read it the same way I did. ;)

I had to use a 12% when I had an odyssa quad with one single panel... But it was not equal to that of a 6% in a single bulb fixture. I had to have basking higher to make up for the reduction in uvb. Personally I would only use one if you have a solarmeter. The reduction varies depending on the quality of the reflector.
Yeah, I do have a meter, just curious before buying. I'm currently using a 12% without any problem so probably stick with it.
May switch to a 6% single in a separate enclosure.
Thanks you two for the input.

Back
Top Bottom