UVB bulb problem

BenjiTheCham

Established Member
Hello. I have bit of a problem with my uvb bulb. I have my lights on timers so that I don't have to worry as much, but more often than not when my light gets turned on, the UVB stays off unless I tap it on the top. I have no idea why it does this. I guess it's fine for now because I am home everyday and I never sleep in later than lights on, but once i'm not home this'll start to be a problem.

I need a new light anyways.. I had an old fixture from a black light around my house and it's a T8 and only spans 2/3 of my enclosure. I figure it'll be okay for the time being and I'll be taking my cham outside regularly as well, and in a month or so I'll be buying a new bulb and I'll get the correct fixture with it. But I still would like to know the problem with the light. I pretty sure everything is set up properly.

I would definitely look into getting a T5 soon. I don’t have any experience with T8s. If you have it on a timer where it’s plugged in, a lot of them just cut the power to them, which means it wouldn’t be able to stay on. Maybe check your timers?

I would definitely look into getting a T5 soon. I don’t have any experience with T8s. If you have it on a timer where it’s plugged in, a lot of them just cut the power to them, which means it wouldn’t be able to stay on. Maybe check your timers?

Yeah, I'm definitely getting a T5 soon. I can try to add a video to show you what I mean. Give me a minute.

You would have to upload the video to youtube then share here...

Sounds like an issue with the connection in the fixture... I would get the T5HO anyway because the T8 is not nearly as good for output and distance and you want the light to cover the entire length of the top of the enclosure.

Here's a link..

This isn't obviously how it would normally happen. I had to change the time on my timer to show you.

But whenever it turns on (about 80% of the time I'd say) I have to hit it on the top for it to work lol

You would have to upload the video to youtube then share here...

Sounds like an issue with the connection in the fixture... I would get the T5HO anyway because the T8 is not nearly as good for output and distance and you want the light to cover the entire length of the top of the enclosure.
yeah. I was mostly just curious about the problem in case it was me setting it up wrong. I am getting a T5 soon.

Also. Can't I use Imgur instead of youtube?

COuld just pop the bulb out and pop it back in. If the bulb is not perfectly rotated in the hood, then its just resting on the contacts instead of "locked in".

COuld just pop the bulb out and pop it back in. If the bulb is not perfectly rotated in the hood, then its just resting on the contacts instead of "locked in".
That happened to me the first time lol. But it's in right this time and it still doesn't work right. I needed to upgrade to a T5 anyway

Okay, that's good to know. Do you have any recommendations for a 36" fixture?
That is an odd size if your wanting a quad... But these came recommended to me and you can daisy chain them together. https://www.reptilebasics.com/t5-light-fixtures/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit-36-with-bulb/
They are out of the kit with the 6% bulb right now. but they have the fixtures themselves. https://www.reptilebasics.com/t5-light-fixtures/t5-ho-single-bulb-light-strip-36/
And then you could buy your uvb bulb separately. https://www.reptilebasics.com/arcadia-forest-6-uvb/arcadia-d3-6-uvb-t5-bulb-34/

I did not get them because I really wanted to stay with a quad and my cage is a 48 inch.

I use the Arcadia Pro T5. I love it so far!
Good to know! I'll look into those.

That is an odd size if your wanting a quad... But these came recommended to me and you can daisy chain them together. https://www.reptilebasics.com/t5-light-fixtures/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit-36-with-bulb/
They are out of the kit with the 6% bulb right now. but they have the fixtures themselves. https://www.reptilebasics.com/t5-light-fixtures/t5-ho-single-bulb-light-strip-36/
And then you could buy your uvb bulb separately. https://www.reptilebasics.com/arcadia-forest-6-uvb/arcadia-d3-6-uvb-t5-bulb-34/

I did not get them because I really wanted to stay with a quad and my cage is a 48 inch.

Do you think I need more than one bulb? One of the bulbs (at least for a dual) would be for a plant light, correct? My plants have been doing fine and I get lots of natural light in my room, is a plant light necessary? Or is it the same situation with UVB where the glass blocks it?

Thanks! I probably should use the search bar more lol.

Also, I don't think I looked into this when I bought my first bulb.. But what is the best percentage to use? I'm guessing it is the UVB levels?

The UVB was one of the first things I bought with my eclosure lol. I didn't know much about this stuff then

Good to know! I'll look into those.

Do you think I need more than one bulb? One of the bulbs (at least for a dual) would be for a plant light, correct? My plants have been doing fine and I get lots of natural light in my room, is a plant light necessary? Or is it the same situation with UVB where the glass blocks it?

Thanks! I probably should use the search bar more lol.

Also, I don't think I looked into this when I bought my first bulb.. But what is the best percentage to use? I'm guessing it is the UVB levels?

The UVB was one of the first things I bought with my eclosure lol. I didn't know much about this stuff then
Well honestly the plants need the light... Even light through a window will not supply them with enough. I run a quad for mine. So 3- 6500 daylight bulbs then the UVB bulb. Most will at least run a dual so that there is 1 6500 daylight bulb for plant lighting. The UVB bulb will not do enough on its own. You will start getting die offs and the plants will get weak.

Well honestly the plants need the light... Even light through a window will not supply them with enough. I run a quad for mine. So 3- 6500 daylight bulbs then the UVB bulb. Most will at least run a dual so that there is 1 6500 daylight bulb for plant lighting. The UVB bulb will not do enough on its own. You will start getting die offs and the plants will get weak.
Ok thanks

Back
Top Bottom