UV - Plastic Light Cover

SangrelX

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before but I have read several forum posts here about Chameleons and Enclosures. I have worried time and time about my little guys health and the biggest most important thing about a Chameleon is the UVB Lighting

We all know a Reptisun 5.0 Bulb is the top notch bulb currently on market to use

What we dont know and that I dont see in a lot of threads with people having issues is..

Remove the plastic light cover on your light fixture!!
UVB is absorbed by plastic how can you ensure your little guy gets proper UVB if its mostly absorbed in your light fixtures plastic cover?

if this has been posted before Sorry but again I am seeing a lot of threads where huge discussions go on about Lights but nobody mentions to remove the plastic....

I hope this helps people solve some issues they may be having. Remember Chameleons hide sickness well and by the time they go downhill due to a enclosure or care issue it makes it twice as hard to bring them back

oh good to know for sure... I took mine off a few days after having it because I was reading on another website that mentioned plastic blocks UVB

and since I had mine off the plants perked up the chameleon seemed ok but the plants showed a much better sign of growth and like an awareness as they started moving Towards the lights now lol.. its funny to see a plant change its shape and pattern based on location of the light source

BUT nonetheless its still a good tip because even on lights that dont block UVB removing plastic wont hurt anything

that is as long as the cham cant physically touch the light and burn itself

Not all plastics block uvb only ones that are designed to will.

I believe you have that backwards, to my knowledge most plastics/glass will block a large % of uvb, only ones that are destined to allow uvb to pass through .You really don't need the plastic cover anyways so why risk it.

If you have a uvb meter (such as a solarmeter) you can test it out, I know my glass windows block out uvb, and I'm pretty sure the op is right about plastics to .

I think we are both right in our own way because I was sure what I read recently said that plastic blocks a percentage of UVB as well as Glass but depending on the color and makeup of the plastic or glass the percentage blocked changes

I think its best to let people know to take the plastic cover off anyways to be 100% sure all UVB is being sent out

I even read that the mesh screen tops will block a percentage too but the reptisun 5.0 is effective upto like 12 inches even through screen so its a good bulb all around as long as you dont block the uvb right from the start

I think we are both right in our own way because I was sure what I read recently said that plastic blocks a percentage of UVB as well as Glass but depending on the color and makeup of the plastic or glass the percentage blocked changes

I think its best to let people know to take the plastic cover off anyways to be 100% sure all UVB is being sent out

I even read that the mesh screen tops will block a percentage too but the reptisun 5.0 is effective upto like 12 inches even through screen so its a good bulb all around as long as you dont block the uvb right from the start

Yes I know mesh/screen filters out a % (I believe the finer the mesh the more it blocks) it's not bad enough to worry about (screen that is)

I do believe plastics block off most uvb, even clear plastics. I'll do some test with my solarmeter 6.2 (great tool by the way, takes the guess work out of uvb lights)

This is a really good question that I have not seen on here before! I had just purchased a new hood and t has the plastic on it. Looks like I will be removing it tomorrow! :)

This is a really good question that I have not seen on here before! I had just purchased a new hood and t has the plastic on it. Looks like I will be removing it tomorrow! :)

That is the Exact reason I posted this.. Because if the plastic cover on your fixture blocks the UVB then your Cham is going to slowly develop issues and potentially loose its life while you scramble to help it out before you realize ohh its not getting any UVB

I have read several threads here and google searches online that have pointed to a lack of UVB causing death and illness even though the people were using the recommended Reptisun 5.0 Linear bulbs -- my conclusion would be the plastic cover is preventing enough UVB from passing through to the chameleon

@AZJ0SH
All Linear fixtures generally come with a plastic cover that goes over the bulb -- I have never seen one that didnt

Linear being the Tube lights NOT compact fluorescent bulbs

Brings another tip -- Because of past issues with CFL Bulbs (compact fluorescent bulb) DONT USE THEM ...
The Reptisun 5.0 is the main bulb thats been shown to work without causing issues for Chameleons

ADDED:
Bottom line is better safe then sorry -- these guys are soo delicate and they deserve a good life that is why we buy them (well most of us) because we want to provide them a excellent life and enjoy their company

So Biggest tips -- Remove plastic covers, use Linear Reptisun 5.0 Bulbs NOT CFL (compact fluorescents) and ensure your chameleons are getting the UVB they need
its 4AM my time lol im off to bed goodnight forum peeps

@AZJ0SH
All Linear fixtures generally come with a plastic cover that goes over the bulb -- I have never seen one that didnt

Linear being the Tube lights NOT compact fluorescent bulbs

Brings another tip -- Because of past issues with CFL Bulbs (compact fluorescent bulb) DONT USE THEM ...
The Reptisun 5.0 is the main bulb thats been shown to work without causing issues for Chameleons

You can use CFL's with chameleons just fine, please don't spread misinformation.

I have owned and purchased many light fixtures for my fish and reptiles, and none have ever had a plastic cover over the light, which is why I asked.

You can use CFL's with chameleons just fine, please don't spread misinformation.

I have owned and purchased many light fixtures for my fish and reptiles, and none have ever had a plastic cover over the light, which is why I asked.

Have not made it to bed yet lmao..

However todays CFL's are supposed to be safe yes - but a bit back some CFLs were causing issues to chameleons

it happened before it could happen again -- why risk it?

your in charge of taking care of an animal that cannot tell you directly what its issues are say you buy a CFL that turns out to be defected in some way or another and it does damage your chameleons health

There is a reason 90% of the material you read recommends reptisun bulbs its because they have a better track record and have proven over time to be safe and work well

However part of that is my own opinion and others are more then welcome to come to their own conclusions

no intent to spread any mis-information I should have clarified it a bit

I still will not use CFLs myself but again thats the choice I came to

as for never finding a the plastic cover that is strange... all the zilla and zoo med fixtures ive seen marketed for reptiles and UVB had plastic covers on them.. atleast at our local pet stores those are the two brands I find all the time so maybe your buying a brand that didnt include plastics

Have not made it to bed yet lmao..

However todays CFL's are supposed to be safe yes - but a bit back some CFLs were causing issues to chameleons

it happened before it could happen again -- why risk it?

your in charge of taking care of an animal that cannot tell you directly what its issues are say you buy a CFL that turns out to be defected in some way or another and it does damage your chameleons health

There is a reason 90% of the material you read recommends reptisun bulbs its because they have a better track record and have proven over time to be safe and work well

However part of that is my own opinion and others are more then welcome to come to their own conclusions

no intent to spread any mis-information I should have clarified it a bit

I still will not use CFLs myself but again thats the choice I came to

as for never finding a the plastic cover that is strange... all the zilla and zoo med fixtures ive seen marketed for reptiles and UVB had plastic covers on them.. atleast at our local pet stores those are the two brands I find all the time so maybe your buying a brand that didnt include plastics

They corrected the issue, why would it happen again? Just because you don't want to use CFL's doesn't give you the right to claim they're bad when they're not.

I dont remember saying they are bad - I remember advising against using them - These are a public forum posts contain facts and opinions people dont have to follow anything that is said here

I fully admitted the issues with CFLs were a known issue that is corrected
as well as stating its my opinion and decision not to use them because of their past isssues

if you bought a toyota that had a bad accelerator and caused a car accident but they correct the issue wouldnt you be a bit weary about driving another toyota? lol

its all based on the person reading the info and how they decide to take it thats all

there is no need for a lengthy conversation on the subject - the original purpose here was to ensure that people knew there is a chance that plastic covers on their fixtures can be blocking UVB from their bulbs be it a CFL or Linear (granted CFL fixtures wouldnt normally have any cover at all)

You Said...

sANGRELx said:
Brings another tip -- Because of past issues with CFL Bulbs (compact fluorescent bulb) DONT USE THEM

Which is why I said not to tell people not to use them, they are perfectly fine now. They were putting out too much UVB, now it's comparable to the ReptiSun 5.0 linear tubes.

If a new owner came on here and saw your post, he might have a false impression of CFL's.

they were indeed almost out into C ranges
Chameleons are not my first pet that requires UVB...

A new owner could come on here and see the same information ive posted about CFL lights on many threads why do you insist on constantly repeating the same things? You have other posts across this forum stating the same information on CFL's

Let it go .. There is nothing posted in this thread that states 100% flat out that today's CFL Bulbs will cause harm to a Chameleon only advice against using them due to their past issues (PAST being the key word) the very first post where I advised against them stated clearly PAST issues

so again Let it go guy ... let people read and come to their conclusions you dont have to defend CFL's LOL... you work at a Light factory or something

its becomming a bit humorous that you are getting hung up on this subject but on the other hand your also going off the main topic. Providing proper UVB to your Chameleons

if you feel you need to discuss your defense on CFL's further do so in a new Thread or a Private message ...

now I am going to sleep because I have to sadly goto work tomorrow!!

they were indeed almost out into C ranges
Chameleons are not my first pet that requires UVB...

A new owner could come on here and see the same information ive posted about CFL lights on many threads why do you insist on constantly repeating the same things? You have other posts across this forum stating the same information on CFL's

Let it go .. There is nothing posted in this thread that states 100% flat out that today's CFL Bulbs will cause harm to a Chameleon only advice against using them due to their past issues (PAST being the key word) the very first post where I advised against them stated clearly PAST issues

so again Let it go guy ... let people read and come to their conclusions you dont have to defend CFL's LOL... you work at a Light factory or something

its becomming a bit humorous that you are getting hung up on this subject but on the other hand your also going off the main topic. Providing proper UVB to your Chameleons

if you feel you need to discuss your defense on CFL's further do so in a new Thread or a Private message ...

now I am going to sleep because I have to sadly goto work tomorrow!!

I think you're confused, if you saw my other posts I am actually against the use of CFL's in the home, I was just stating the CORRECT information about CFL's and their use in enclosures, and how they can be used with Chameleons just fine.

I am trying to stop the spread of misinformation. You clearly said "DONT USE THEM" how can you claim you said otherwise now?

I have no idea what these plastic covers are, I've never seen them. Over here the majority of fluorescent fixtures used are Arcadia and they just attach to the end of the tube which is then clipped to the vivarium.

There are a lot of US fixtures that come with them attached - you have to remove them to install the bulbs

most people remove them install a bulb and put them back on which can cause some if not a large percentage of UVB to be blocked

@AZJ0SH
Thank you for moving to Private Messages to keep this thread on its subject - again what you see in my posts is as I said my opinion on the subject I say dont use them I have never told you or anyone here that they are flat out unsafe to use

Everyone have a good day while I have the unfortunate duty of taking myself to work now LOL....

Back
Top Bottom