Using moss in hybrid cage

ChameLeon_

I'm planning out layout for my future cage and using moss came across my mind.. would that work and be suitable for veiled chameleon? Will it cause problems if he nibbles on it for whatever reason? And what type of moss would be best for this, i would like to cover part of wall with it, maybe some branches, flower pots etc.. i have Java moss in aquarium that i could try and grow emersed and Flame moss as well. Thanks!

If it can be nibbled on, it will be nibbled on. Thats why we say dont use fake moss, even in the panther tanks. Plenty of us have used moss. No ones moss has be completely defoliated, its not as tasty as leaves i guess.

If it can be nibbled on, it will be nibbled on. Thats why we say dont use fake moss, even in the panther tanks. Plenty of us have used moss. No ones moss has be completely defoliated, its not as tasty as leaves i guess.
Thsnks for reply! So it's safe to use live mosses with chams?

I would avoid moss on branches. It holds too much moisture against the feet and has been associated with foot problems. Dried moss branches or vines are not recommended for this reason. It is also thought that eating the dried moss might lead to impation.

I would avoid moss on branches. It holds too much moisture against the feet and has been associated with foot problems. Dried moss branches or vines are not recommended for this reason. It is also thought that eating the dried moss might lead to impation.
So if i use live moss of some kind placed for example on part of one wall, to cover soil in pots, cover pots by wrapping the moss around it etc.. would that be ok?

I would think so. The impaction stories I've heard are from panthers eating the dried moss off of the vines. They tend to be branch chewers at a certain age. I don't know what live moss would do for certain.

Back
Top Bottom