Using branches from outside

sagemoon2004

Established Member
Does anyone know if you have to do anything special to any branches brought in from outside. I wonder about parasites, fungus and mold, etc.. Are any trees toxic or not safe? I am putting finishing touches on homemade cage, 48 inches tall, and need a few more tall items to complete it. Are eyelet type screws okay to use to secure vines? I am using the closed kind for safety, I don't want any feet to get stuck or something weird. Any suggestions are great. I do have live vines and a small umbrella tree.

If i bring in branches from outside I bake them in the oven for a hour at 350. They make the whole house reek!!!:( I also know of people who use a mild dish soap wash, rinse and dry them in the sun.

mine would not fit in the oven. Way too long! I just scrubbed mine down and let them dry in the sun. I think the oven is a good idea too if you can fit them. Make sure there are no bug infestations inside the branches of any kind. I don't think that chams eat branches to my knowledge so I don't think you have to worry about them being toxic. Just make sure there are not pesticides, so the washing/baking is the important part. You can also use thumbtack and push pins to secure the branches.

I use hardwood (apple ) and just strip the bark and let dry outside in the sun. I've never baked any branches.

The guy at the reptile shop told me to soak them in water with a litlle bleach then let them dry good before putting them in. Anyone heard of that.

Really? Freezing them works? I remember hearing the bleach thing a while back so I avoided outside branches all together ... but if I can bake / freeeze them I am totally going to get some clippings ASAP :)

Why all the fanfare? I know we are trying to keep our chams safe/healthy, but why bake, bleach, etc., branches? if it makes you more comfortable, go for it, it certainly won't hurt. I just look for clean branches that are dry, and put them in. If the bark is loose or doesn't look good, I whittle the bark off and let it dry completely in the sun.

Why all the fanfare? I know we are trying to keep our chams safe/healthy, but why bake, bleach, etc., branches? if it makes you more comfortable, go for it, it certainly won't hurt. I just look for clean branches that are dry, and put them in. If the bark is loose or doesn't look good, I whittle the bark off and let it dry completely in the sun.

Exactly!!! I see no reason to fuss with them unless the bark is coming off in big chunks. If it is, toss the stick and find a better one:D

If i bring in branches from outside I bake them in the oven for a hour at 350. They make the whole house reek!!!:( I also know of people who use a mild dish soap wash, rinse and dry them in the sun.

I do the same as Laurie, but the branches I use smell wonderful when baking! I use some sort of Willow. I'm worried about fungus, so that's what I do. I also boil my leaf litter for my pygmy chams. Now that stinks! LOL

Sand down any nubs that are on the branches you choose. My cham used to bite at them once in a while and it always worried me about impaction so I ended up taking each branch out and sanding down the nubs.

Back
Top Bottom