Using bird perches for branches?

MantisFTW

Is this a good idea? I honestly don't see why not. I've always thought that bird perches made great branches for my cham Specs, especially if they're made to look like actual branches. Specs has one in his cage now, just one, and its his favorite perch. They're smooth, very sturdy since they mount to one side of the cage, clean, and you can place them anywhere making for a great basking spot! They would work great in combination with a bendable vine.

What are your opinions on using bird perches as cham branches? :)

Is this a good idea? I honestly don't see why not. I've always thought that bird perches made great branches for my cham Specs, especially if they're made to look like actual branches. Specs has one in his cage now, just one, and its his favorite perch. They're smooth, very sturdy since they mount to one side of the cage, clean, and you can place them anywhere making for a great basking spot! They would work great in combination with a bendable vine.

I have several of them. In a couple cages, I even have the gritty cement kinds for wearing down bird claws (and which incidentally warm up nicely under a basking bulb) - some of my chameleons have very long nails :) But mostly I prefer natural branches that are free :)

The rough bird perches wont hurt their feet? I use a mixture of a bird perch, a bendable vine, and collected and cleaned outside branches. :) I always have trouble keeping the branches mounted and sturdy, though. They tend to wobble and be unstable.

Also what about when they rub there eyes on a branch after a misting to clean the eye turrets

We're not talking about the ones with sand infused on to the surface are we?
But of they seem to like them more then all the more power to em ...,right haha

I use the wooden bird ladders in my big cages, as basking platforms. The chams seem to use them alot.

Hmm, bird ladders sound pretty cham-handy to me. :)

I actually just went out today and got two more perches, one that splits into three sections and one thats just a straight out stick which would make good for basking. Im slowly starting to replace the wobbly branches with these. Whats better is that these perches are actually natural and pretty much just cleaned up sticks, so it looks nice and its perfect for a cham! Its not the bar kind that just go straight across the cage. This is the kind I get, and they come in many different shapes and sizes:

http://www.amazon.com/Macs-Creation...3NSA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1320651944&sr=8-6

I also use the ladder on the free range.. but mostly wanted to say I love ur avatar pic ;)

Hmm, bird ladders sound pretty cham-handy to me. :)

I actually just went out today and got two more perches, one that splits into three sections and one thats just a straight out stick which would make good for basking. Im slowly starting to replace the wobbly branches with these. Whats better is that these perches are actually natural and pretty much just cleaned up sticks, so it looks nice and its perfect for a cham! Its not the bar kind that just go straight across the cage. This is the kind I get, and they come in many different shapes and sizes:

http://www.amazon.com/Macs-Creation...3NSA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1320651944&sr=8-6

Oh! That's just Manzanita wood. We call it Arbutus around where I live - it grows here naturally, so lots of my cage branches are those too :) Great stuff.

I also use the ladder on the free range.. but mostly wanted to say I love ur avatar pic ;)

Haha, thanks. ;) That's my 4 month old ambilobe, Specs. I just about died when I saw how that picture came out.

@Sandra: Oh, really? Well that's pretty lucky, you get them free and you get to hand pick them. That's $4.99 out of my pocket, but hey, it could be worse. :p They charge so much more for the things in the reptile isle even though hand picked and bird perches are just as good if not better in some cases.

I was considering using bird perches, or dowels in our 2 cages..

But then the boyfriend was reading something about how the wood's too soft, and doesn't dry properly and has bacteria issues that can cause problems with their feet.

Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom