URI or am I paranoid?

elizaann2

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi all, I keep seeing my girl in this position today. Does this look like a URI or am I being paranoid?

I always jump to worse case with my chameleons because I know they can turn quickly for the worst. Just wondering if I should see if my vet should see her sooner than the 17th.

I haven’t seen her with her mouth open at all and she is eating normal. No lethargy. Sorry some of the photos aren’t great, I’m trying not to disturb her too much.

Attachments

• C5DBC332-2DBC-40C1-BE29-F8B2B8A14385.jpeg
    C5DBC332-2DBC-40C1-BE29-F8B2B8A14385.jpeg
    247 KB · Views: 44
  • 058D584E-C452-484D-BFB5-C83B524B5CAF.jpeg
    058D584E-C452-484D-BFB5-C83B524B5CAF.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 30450FEB-5E1D-4BB6-AA94-7E05E80B4AC1.jpeg
    30450FEB-5E1D-4BB6-AA94-7E05E80B4AC1.jpeg
    270.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 95E3D59C-30AB-4342-BC3F-FDDA4F1AF9D2.jpeg
    95E3D59C-30AB-4342-BC3F-FDDA4F1AF9D2.jpeg
    321.3 KB · Views: 38
  • AB4FBEA8-0CD5-46E3-8C2E-3E9B1151C14A.jpeg
    AB4FBEA8-0CD5-46E3-8C2E-3E9B1151C14A.jpeg
    249.8 KB · Views: 40
Hey there! Just posting in solidarity because I’m in a similar-ish boat with my panther. I took him to my vet and they decided not to go with meds just yet, but I’m monitoring.

Try filling out the ask for help form so you can get your husbandry reviewed:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Hi all, I keep seeing my girl in this position today. Does this look like a URI or am I being paranoid?

I always jump to worse case with my chameleons because I know they can turn quickly for the worst. Just wondering if I should see if my vet should see her sooner than the 17th.

I haven’t seen her with her mouth open at all and she is eating normal. No lethargy. Sorry some of the photos aren’t great, I’m trying not to disturb her too much.
I wouldn't worry too much just from that posture, now if she was also mouth gaping, eyes closed or hearing her breathing I would be concerned.

I wouldn't worry too much just from that posture, now if she was also mouth gaping, eyes closed or hearing her breathing I would be concerned.
I’ll check for breathing sounds but I haven’t heard anything off from her. No closed eyes or even behaviors outside of her norm, no open mouth. Just her weird pose.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Hey there! Just posting in solidarity because I’m in a similar-ish boat with my panther. I took him to my vet and they decided not to go with meds just yet, but I’m monitoring.

Try filling out the ask for help form so you can get your husbandry reviewed:

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

Oh I'm sorry to hear you are going through the same thing with your panther. Hopefully, it is nothing for both of us!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled, female, about 1 year, purchased her at Petco on May 20th, 2022.
  • Handling - Only for physical checks or if I am cleaning her enclosure and need to remove her.
  • Feeding - She eats gut-loaded dubia roaches, crickets, bsfl, and the occasional super worms as a treat. All bugs are gut-loaded with fresh mustard greens, apples, carrots, and sweet potatoes. She gets 4 small feeders every other day dusted with supplements.
  • Supplements - phosphorus-free calcium w/o vitamin D3 (ReptiCal brand) on every feeding, 2x a month she gets a multivitamin w/o D3 (Reptivite) and 2x a month a phosphorus-free calcium with D3.
  • Watering - Fogging at night, I used to fog all night but since I updated my enclosures to hold in more humidity I have been trying to back off the fogging more so the humidity levels are correct. I will use a dripper a few times a week to check for hydration and then I mist every morning before the lights come on. I do not see her drinking.
  • Fecal Description - Her last few poops were a bit runny but I believe that was due to the horn worms I had fed her. They are getting more solid now. Urate is white. She is due for her yearly check-up at the vet, I will test her for parasites, the appointment is on the 17th. She was also tested when I first got her and we treated her for pinworms during her 2022 check up.
  • History - She is a pretty routine girl, I am not noticing anything off in her schedule or behavior other than her being in that position a few times today.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Exo-Terra screen enclosure (36x18x26), I have recently turned it into a hybrid with corrugated plastic, and with the insulated window kit for the front screen, the top of the enclosure and the service door was left alone to create a chimney effect for airflow.
  • Lighting - I have 2 22" Archadia 6% UVB lights going across the length of her enclosure and a 6400 plant light for the plants. They are on a 12 hr schedule 7 am to 7 pm.
  • Temperature - Daytime ambient temp is 70-72, basking temp doesn't get higher than 81. Night ambient temps are 61-64, I measure these with a hydrometer I got from Walmart, the basking temp I use the Zoo Med probe thermometer. Last night her night temps were 70.
  • Humidity - Humidity during the day is around the mid-50s, at night the humidity levels are around 85-90. I use a hydrometer to measure this.
  • Plants - All live plants, pothos, money trees, and some others I cannot recall their names.
  • Placement - Her enclosure is on a horizontal cube shelf in my daughter's room, it is low traffic. It is not near any fans, or vents. The top of the enclosure goes above my head.
  • Location - Utah

Current Problem - Not sure if there is a problem, just concerned with the way she was perching on her branches today. I caught her doing it a few times, today and I've never seen her do it before.

Back
Top Bottom