Urgent!!!!

You're chameleon is dehydrated. I don't see any bowing arms or breaks in his limbs. He could have early stages of MBD. But he is for sure dehydrated.

Forcing fluids can be harmful if not done correctly and in proper amounts.

Here is a blog on the amounts to force fluid into a chameleon based on weight by Ataraxia.
dehydration-solutions-force-fluid-tips.html

Here is a blog on how to do a proper shower treatment by Ataraxia.
shower-chamber-treatment

You could try to drip water slowly infront of him and see if he want's it. The other way is to give it to him direcly into his mouth with a syringe (w/o needle ofc.) But you should see a vet before you try that since it's easy to do it wrong. You don't want to get the water into the windpipes.

how would i go about forcing fluids into him?
will this cause more distress and possible hurt him more?

There could be multiple reasons why his eyes are closed. Focus on getting him hydrated first. The saline solution might work, but if he wont open his eyes then your not going to get any in, if he has an infection in his eyes then he will need to go to a vet for antibiotics. He may just open them on his own when he regains strength. I still think you need to take him to a vet.

thank you for all your help thus far, I did try the shower and i tried to get him to drink a little. For now he is back in his enclosure and resting for the night. I will keep you all posted. best of hope for baby Rango!

hey rango just figured out today that if you find the little paperclip on the post page you can upload pictures its right next to the smiley face. but my guy is holding one eye shut he doesn't seem to have a problem opening it but for some reason is keeping it closed most of the time. i have no idea why... it looks just like the other eye when opened but when he squints it looks sunken in untill he relaxes it.

well he made it untill this morning. RIP Rango... I appreciate the help and hopefully will continue to learn.

Back
Top Bottom