Urgent!!!!

Rango317

My 4 month old male veiled chameleon wont open his eyes. he has had them shut for several days now and has seemed weak. I have not seem him eating and I fear the worst. i purchased him at a reptile expo and he seemed to be doing fine but after his last shed he hasnt been the same. The area around his eyes is starting to look blackish. He eats crickeys dusted with and without d3.

Im sorry your cham is not feeling well, but it will help more if you fill out this form. Just copy and paste your answers. :)

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - veiled, male, 4-5 months, i have had him 4-5 months
Handling - as often as he is willing (once every 2 weeks)
Feeding - he eats 8 crickets usually. I dust them with and without d3 on a regular schedule. Crickets eat lettuce and potatoes and greens
Supplements - reptivite i believe. i have with and without d3
Watering - i mist his cage. I try to mist it 3 times a day for about 2 minutes. lately I have not seen him drink.
Fecal Description - white with brown. although lately i have only notices mostly white. not been tested.
History - na

Current Problem - he seems lathargic. I recently found him at the bottom of his cage. his eyes are blackish and he will not open them. I have not seem him eating and am very worried................

You forgot to full out the bottom half.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Adding a picture is going to help greatly.

If I were to guess I would say he is dehydrated and or malnourished, as he has no dripper, misting alone wont suffice. Please provide as much detail as possible because allot of chameleon ailments are husbandry related.

Yes please, fill out the other half. And as stated, Xeonic, some picture/pictures would help greatly in this case.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 28x28x28 mesh
Lighting - i do not recall the exact brands. I have a uv bulb and a heat lamp (50watt)
Temperature - 70-83 i have a thermometer in the cage
Humidity - i do not recall the levels
Plants - pathos
Placement - in my bedroom, by no vents, not high traffic. it is about 5 feet from the ground
Location - northern indiana

if it is malnutrition how do i help him at this weakened point? he refuses to eat a cricket even if it crawls right on him. and I do not own a dripper but can I make one out of a cup with a hole for now till I can get one and he seems better? I am very afraid I dont have much time to save him.... thank you so much for your help!

Can you be more precise about supplements please. How often with which?:)

Try registering free at www.photobucket.com. You can upload the pictures from your computer to your library. Click on the picture you want to post, then to the bottom right you should see diffrent boxes. Click either direct link or image. It will copy it automaticly. Open your post and past it to it. I hope you can get the pictures working like this. It would surely help everyone help you.

*note* Direct link will paste a link for people to look at the pick.
Image will actually put the picture on the post.

how do i help him at this point. please help me, I really dont wanna lose him! I fear he is past the point of no return. He is very weak and wont drink and wont open his eyes.

to add a picture click the icon that looks like a paper clip, its right beside the button that looks like a smiley face. These buttons are located above the message pane when you reply to a post.

Also what do you use for a vitamin supplement? and how often do you use it? Do you gut load your crickets? if so with what?

You might want to try the shower your chameleon in your shower to help re-hydrate him. Place your chameleon on a potted plant and have the shower head pointed at the wall of the shower, that water will reflect onto the plant, your chameleon should start drinking the drops, do not point the shower head directly onto the chameleon, make sure the water is not too hot or cold.

If he is too far gone to hold himself up to drink your going to have to take him to a vet right away. Or force fluids into him. I think you should take him to the vet anyways. Then we can look at your setup and figure out where things went wrong.

how would i go about forcing fluids into him?
will this cause more distress and possible hurt him more?

I second that!
What you can at home first of all is to give him a shower, just as Xeonic said. Remember, do not shower in directly, point it into all wall, feel the distance so the water ain't hiting the plant/ your chamelon to hard. With this you will give him a nice re-hydration and he probably be able to "flush" his eyes.
Next thing you should do is to get a vet appointment as fast as you can.
We're here to help you, just give us as much information as possible and keep us updated. Good luck, and I'm sure he will be back on track again :)

to add a picture click the icon that looks like a paper clip, its right beside the button that looks like a smiley face. These buttons are located above the message pane when you reply to a post.

Also what do you use for a vitamin supplement? and how often do you use it? Do you gut load your crickets? if so with what?

You might want to try the shower your chameleon in your shower to help re-hydrate him. Place your chameleon on a potted plant and have the shower head pointed at the wall of the shower, that water will reflect onto the plant, your chameleon should start drinking the drops, do not point the shower head directly onto the chameleon, make sure the water is not too hot or cold.

If he is too far gone to hold himself up to drink your going to have to take him to a vet right away. Or force fluids into him. I think you should take him to the vet anyways. Then we can look at your setup and figure out where things went wrong.

I just read online that it could be possible that there is gunk on his eyes and that may be partly why he will not open them and to use saline solution on a q-tip to help him. should I try this?
at this point I am desperate to save my baby boy.

Back
Top Bottom