Urgent please help

Hugh Wahl

My chameleon got impaled with a paper clip that i bent around the screen in order for the crickets in the cage to get food. I hang I from the paper clip. I came home today and my chameleon was impaled with it. It went in his side and up towards his mouth. The clip had some funky turns in it so I couldn't just pulll it out. I did what I had to do. No vets available and thought he might not make it I made an incision got it out and he is moving around much better but very gingerly. What can I do to help him recover. What can i put on the incision to make sure it dosen't get infected. Any information you can give please do.

Oh dear. I think a lot of people here use human first aid products, like flushing with H2O2 and using neosporin. I think you should take him to the vet first thing tomorrow regardless.

Keep it clean and apply polysporin to it. Try to keep the polysporin on it until you can get him to the vet. You want to try and keep the puncture wound/incision from closing so bacteria doesnt get trapped in there and cause an abscess.

Good luck and keep us posted

Hey Hugh, I'm sure that was a scary situation for you. What did you use to make the incision? How deep is it, how long is it and where is it located? Pictures would be very helpful.

I would flush the wound with liberal amounts of saline (no more concentrated than 0.9% or it will sting). Hydrogen peroxide is actually very irritating to healthy tissue and can delay healing. It's good for wounds already infected and gross but otherwise saline is a much better choice. Keep the incision somewhat moist with neosporin or a similar ointment because if it dries up in the initial stages of repair it won't heal well. Depending on the location and size of the cut it may need to be sutured up. If it's in an area of high mobility (near mouth or shoulder, etc) it may be hard for it to close well if there's always movement in the area, especially since reptiles heal so slowly. Also depending on severity and what instruments were used he may need to be on antibiotics. If it's a clean, superficial wound in an area that will heal quickly he may not, but in this scenario better schedule an appointment with a vet asap.

Can you get a good pic?

Tiger balm is an analgesic intended for external uses - you want something with antimicrobial properties and I would not use something intended for external muscle ache in people on an open wound in an animal. It may hurt like you wouldn't believe since it's not buffered for wound care.

Btw, I only ask about how the incision was made to get an idea of the extent of contamination and damage for advice about treating and further repair that may be needed. You can answer in a pm if you'd be more comfortable doing so.

What a horrible thing to come home to! I hope your cham is alright and please let us know how he makes out.

Tiger balm is an analgesic intended for external uses - you want something with antimicrobial properties and I would not use something intended for external muscle ache in people on an open wound in an animal. It may hurt like you wouldn't believe since it's not buffered for wound care.

Btw, I only ask about how the incision was made to get an idea of the extent of contamination and damage for advice about treating and further repair that may be needed. You can answer in a pm if you'd be more comfortable doing so.

The incision is on his left side one inch behind his shoulder. The actual length of the incision is a little less then a quarter inch. It was made with a new razor blade sterilized with a flame. I went to the vet today to get ex-rays done. There was no internal damage? I took him home tried feeding him and he ate ( this is after he drank five minutes right after I got the paper clip out ). I have been keeping neosporin on it. The incision was pretty damn good (considering I've never done anything like this before) said the vet. I just broke the skin which was tough even with a new razor. I will keep you posted along with everyone else on his progress and thank you for all your help and concern.

Back
Top Bottom