Urgent help please

tamara2girls

I have a 19 week old male Panther chameleon.
He is in a 2ft tall viv with plenty of vines and a ficus, his basking temp is 90 and ambient temp 70. Brand new uv and heat lamp. He eats about 8 crickets a day, gut loaded with bran and fruit and veg and about 3 or 4 calci worms a day. I dust the crickets 5 times a week with natural calcium and multivit with d3 twice a week. I have a dripper running for about an hour twice a day and I mist regularly to keep the humidity up. There is no substrate and the ficus has no soil exposed. He has been shedding and pooing fine with no problems. He had a recent check up with the vet who said he was in great health.

This evening he misjudged his footing and fell to a branch about a foot down. Immediately after it seemed like his back legs were paralysed. I took him out and he was just dragging his legs around, his back legs and tail went really pale and mottled looking but at the base of his tail it went quite black. I kept him out for about 30 minutes after which time he started moving his back legs again, I tried to put him back in the viv and he was moving his legs and trying to grip but had no strength and kept slipping. Ive moved him now to a tub with a few branches so if he falls it is only a couple of inches onto kitchen towel. He has now settled down to sleep.

I'm really concerned that he won't get the strength back in his rear legs, has anyone experienced this? If he is moving his legs and curling his tail does that mean he can't be paralysed? I'm so worried about my boy

Nothing much you can do but wait and see how he recovers. Make sure he can't fall again, give him his rest as much as possible and if you don't see any progress soon, take him to a vet!

Usually a 1ft fall like that would not cause any issue. I would guess he must have fallen just right so that he bruised a nerve. Since you said he is regaining use of his back legs and tail, I would guess it is just a bruise and not permanent.

I would give him a few hours and see if he is back to normal. If not, I would schedule a vet appointment. Why is he asleep in the middle of the day? Does he have a light in the temp enclosure? Does he normally sleep at this time?

Also, I would lower the basking temp to 85 for that age. It is best to use plain calcium every feeding, calcium with D3 twice a month, and multivitamin twice a month.

Back
Top Bottom