urgent help needed!

ashie

hey everyone, i’m really worried about my chameleon, he has been acting very strange lately and I can’t seem to find the right help, and we brought him into the vet about a week or so ago and they said he was fine just dehydrated and we were told to take him off calcium but his behavior has not changed. We are starting to think he’s been misgendered and is in fact a female potentially ready to lay eggs. But he/she is very small and seems too young for this. However he is very bloated, was going to corners of cage, and other odd actions. His nostrils appear to be flared, loss of appetite, moody attitude, and recently we’ve noticed him scratching his skin with his foot, as well as wagging his tail vigorously and pawing at the glass and forrest scenery image at the back of his enclosure. All of these signs have made it hard to narrow it down to a solution so we are booking him an immediate vet appointment but any assistance would be much appreciated!!

I looked in your other thread....what happened with the eye bulge?
Why did the vet take him off the calcium???
I think he needs a good chameleon vet ASAP.
I’ve been working on trying to get a vet who actually knows a thing or two about chameleons but it’s been really hard to get in touch with someone in all of LA. The eye bubble situation just went away and haven’t happened since i was told it was just water in his eye and he was cleaning it but still stressful to think about so once i find a vet i’ll have them address everything going on. thank you!

Please post photos.
he’s been acting weird, he’s usually very happy and willing to come out and is almost always displayed happy behavior and color but lately he’s been like this and appears bloated.

Attachments

• B7F1735B-A4FF-4CF6-AAF3-5E02C10AD901.jpeg
    B7F1735B-A4FF-4CF6-AAF3-5E02C10AD901.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 141
  • 25F9721B-BF0A-48AF-8967-6AAFF5958DEE.jpeg
    25F9721B-BF0A-48AF-8967-6AAFF5958DEE.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 123
he’s been acting weird, he’s usually very happy and willing to come out and is almost always displayed happy behavior and color but lately he’s been like this and appears bloated.
I'm not sure if this has already been addressed, but can you take a picture of the back of his back feet for me?

There is nothing visually wrong with that baby... They puff up like that to look bigger because your huge and to them you could eat them... The eye bubble you were worried about in your last thread is normal. That is what it looks like when they clean their eyes.

You have never done a husbandry review. I would fill out the below info with as much detail as possible and post pics of the entire cage lights included. And of the babies back feet.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

My cham looked like that when I got her. I think it’s a female won’t be for sure until we see the back of its feet. Also I think it’s just adjusting to the new place and wants to be left alone. Chameleons are solitary creatures they don’t like to be held or bothered most of the time which is why they’re not great pets if you want to handle them a lot. I hope you update the thread with your husbandry, so the more advanced people on here can give you advice in case you’re doing anything wrong. :)

What part of LA are you from? I might have a vet for you.
You should start with a lay bin and get back on a reasonable recommended supplement schedule and go from there.
wow thank you so much, been meaning to update this post because things are much better! we got new calcium and updated the enclosure with more plants and things to do and he/she is significantly better! But a vet for future reference would be amazing if you happen to know of any around central los angeles, I live in downtown :)

My cham looked like that when I got her. I think it’s a female won’t be for sure until we see the back of its feet. Also I think it’s just adjusting to the new place and wants to be left alone. Chameleons are solitary creatures they don’t like to be held or bothered most of the time which is why they’re not great pets if you want to handle them a lot. I hope you update the thread with your husbandry, so the more advanced people on here can give you advice in case you’re doing anything wrong. :)
thank you!! this was so helpful and comforting, I redid the entire terrarium so it’s a better environment and since then he/she’s behavior is right back to usual! Also set up a lay bin just in case but he/she doesn’t seem interested in it so guess we’ll have to see lol!

wow thank you so much, been meaning to update this post because things are much better! we got new calcium and updated the enclosure with more plants and things to do and he/she is significantly better! But a vet for future reference would be amazing if you happen to know of any around central los angeles, I live in downtown :)
I found this Yelp and I’ll keep looking but you can see which one is close or just choose but I’ll look for better ones. Vets

thank you!! this was so helpful and comforting, I redid the entire terrarium so it’s a better environment and since then he/she’s behavior is right back to usual! Also set up a lay bin just in case but he/she doesn’t seem interested in it so guess we’ll have to see lol!
Do you think we can see the new place? Can you maybe fill this out please :) even if not used it should be there permanently my cham hasn’t used hers either but maybe any day now.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful

Do you think we can see the new place? Can you maybe fill this out please :) even if not used it should be there permanently my cham hasn’t used hers either but maybe any day now.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled chameleon, girl, and I have had her for a little over a year.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? 1-2 times a week.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? My staple feeder is crickets, and I also sometimes feed her superworms, and every once in a while hornworms. I gutload them with fresh veggies an hour or two before I feed them to her, and they get dusted with a calcium supplement without d3 with every feeding (and on the 1st and 15th of every month I do a supplement with d3/multivitamin)
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Zoo med repti calcium without d3 with every feeding and on the 1st and 15th of every month I use Repashy superfood vitamin and calcium with d3 supplement.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use a manual hand mister three times a day for around a minute (maybe 2 minutes) and yes, I do see her drink.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Brown poop with whiteish yellowish tint poop attached to it, and it has never been tested for parasites
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Bought her from Petco at about three months old, was healthy when I got her.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?screen cage, 16x16x30,trying to get a 2x2x4.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? The heat light is a 50 watt bulb, for the uvb, it’s a t5 linear uvb, 18 inch, lights on at 8am, off at 8pm.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?basking is 81 degrees, middle is mid/ low 70s, bottom is high 60s/low 70s. I use a zoo med thermometer.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Humidity levels are about 50 percent, I use a manual mister to create and maintain humidity, and I use a zoo med humidity gauge.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes, I have one large golden pothos plant.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? On top of my dresser in my room near my bed, not near any fans or vents, low traffic area.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Rochester,NY
Stopped shedding halfway through
--------------

Please Note:

2. Photos can be very helpful

Back
Top Bottom