Urgent Chameleon Housing Problem

Jc555

Hi i have keeping a veiled chameleon within a screened enclosure for about 2-3 months now and he has been doing just swell but im kinda panicking right now and im not sure how i havent noticed this the whole time so recently i had bought a huge branch in a big chain reptile store and i hve a towel for a current substrate because i dont have a leakage system yet which im planning to install within 1-2 weeks, and at first i saw just some mold growing on his feces and i just discarded but i just realized there is a full grown mushroom in there on this branch, as well as what seems like gooey substanch at the base of the branch its night time for him and i cant get the best pictures now and im just here for advice obviously im going to clean this out but how do i avoid this? Thanks, btw i had gotten a misting system about a month ago which mists for a minute every 3 hours, thanks. I cannot get a picture of the gooey stuff currently but i describe it as brown/white forming on the towel and branch as well as the branch is turning somewhat whiter, thanks. could this perhaps be the leakage system absense allowing the water to stay present within the towel forming of this liquid goo? For the mushroom i have absolutely no clue never even heard of this happening thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 79
That is the mycelium spreading. In terms of plants, think of mushrooms as the flower and the mycelium is the plant itself. It's because that wood is porous and is a great place for spores to take hold. Use actual branches from trees imo. That said, mushrooms are a sign of good humidity, just make sure there is decent air exchange and you'll be fine. Pluck them when they pop up if you'd like. My bio enclosures have them pop up all the time. Free clean up crew food!

Here's a picture of some little ones springing up on a log in my parsonii enclosure

Attachments

• 20180518_180302.jpg
    20180518_180302.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 59
That is the mycelium spreading. In terms of plants, think of mushrooms as the flower and the mycelium is the plant itself. It's because that wood is porous and is a great place for spores to take hold. Use actual branches from trees imo. That said, mushrooms are a sign of good humidity, just make sure there is decent air exchange and you'll be fine. Pluck them when they pop up if you'd like. My bio enclosures have them pop up all the time. Free clean up crew food!

Here's a picture of some little ones springing up on a log in my parsonii enclosure

Thank you for your response... you make this sound a lot better than i expected, just a question, what about the white part of the wood i showed? That is on some of the fake plants/kinda spreading as well is that a problem? I mean is he at risk of an infection of a sort? Thanks.

Last edited:

You mentioned a cleaner crew . . . Do you use dermestid beetles? I have been looking into a cleaner crew

@CamrynTheCham22 people use dermestids for crickets, their larvae are very voracious eaters and would likely attach even molted insects if not enough food present. I've heard the beetles fly everywhere too. I don't personally use them, I wouldn't want them in with my chameleon.

@Jc555 could you get a better picture?

Of what? The white wood spead? Here. So if im getting this straight before i do a full scale cleaning of this enclosure i shouldnt have to discard of anything in this tank due to a mushroom correct? Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 54
Back
Top Bottom