URGENT! chameleon hanging upside down and lethargic

Is it okay for only a certain area of the cage to be constantly wet? I have moved everything so that nothing can get moldy from it. I had that issue before when I first got him it was too wet and I had mold. His cage is technically always wet but only a small portion. The rest and majority of his cage does entirely dry throughout the day. But definitely planning a vet visit anyways. Thanks again! :)
It’s the humidity that can be a big problem. High humidity + heat = respiratory infections.

It’s the humidity that can be a big problem. High humidity + heat = respiratory infections.
I honestly think his cage is too dry but before i got him his big cage his small one was too humid and i ran into that problem! I can’t win apparently but I will definitely be purchasing something to measure the humidity and temperature tomorrow. How do you attach them to the cage and where should i be placing them?

Again ,my feedback will be in red, sorry if I repeat some things, I’ll try not to. Thanks for posting this!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, male, 8 months. I have had him since he was a baby.
  • Handling - I handle him often. He will actually come to the front of the cage and climb near the latches on the cage door when he wants to come out. He will run into my hand which I know handling should be kept to a minimum but he absolutely loves to come out and explore. But he also loves being in his cage and is quite territorial of it at times so handling is only done when he allows for it and when I am cleaning his cage. Does he climb onto you because he genuinely wants attention/looking to roam for ladies or to escape his cage because he’s uncomfortable in it?
  • Feeding - I feed him mainly crickets but also occasionally meal worms, wax worms, horn worms, and dubai roaches. I have tried veggies but he did not care for them. Any recommendations on what types of veggies? I put about 10-15 large crickets in his cage at a time in the morning when i wake up and he hunts them at his own leisure. I feed him crickets either everyday or every other day. When i give him worms it’s more of a treat and I will give him 2-3 and i do this maybe 2-3 times a week. I don’t really know what I should be gutloading with but I feed his crickets carrots. Feeder species and gutload info have both already had photos attached to this thread about them.
  • Supplements - I have a zoo med calcium powder that contains D3 and I will dust his crickets with this maybe 2-3 times a week. I also have a zoo med vitamin powder that also contains D3 that i have not really used yet. I’ve already responded about this.
  • Watering - I have a misting machine that I can set to mist his cage for a certain amount of time every so often. I usually have it set to 45 or 60 seconds every hour. There are two tubes the water mists out of. Also the way I have the tube set up little water droplets drip 24/7. I also mist his entire cage with a water bottle at least twice a day. When I first got the misting machine my cham would here it go off and run to the water and I would see him drink from it constantly. But now i have not seen him drink at all for a while and I am home a lot considering we are in a pandemic. I’ve already responded about this.
  • Fecal Description - His poops look quite healthy to me they aren’t too hard or gooey. His pees though have been an ombré of yellow and white and sometimes are fairly yellow/orange. He has never been tested for parasites. Have a vet test his fecal for parasites.
  • History - Ever since he was a baby I would sometimes struggle to get him to drink. I can always tell when he hasn’t been drinking enough by his sunken in eyes. Compared to some of the people I have talked to who also have chameleons it sounds like mine is very active and moves and climbs constantly. Make sure to keep an eye on his hydration levels (no pun intended). An extra hornworm always adds a boost of water to a chameleon’s system.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - His cage is all screen. It is 2ft by 2ft and 4 ft tall. Great!
  • Lighting - I am not sure of the brand of bulbs I have. I just know I have 2 100 watt heat bulbs. I have a third but i don’t turn it on. I also have a long UVB bulb I’m not sure the brand or watt for that either but I think i still have all of the boxes somewhere. My lighting schedule is the two heat bulbs and the long UVB bulb are on for 12 hours straight and then they all are off at night. I’ve already asked questions on this.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I am unsure of these questions I need to purchase something to measure this. Any recommendations?? I’ve already responded to and asked questions about this. Once you’re able to measure this, please fill out this question.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I am unsure of these questions I need to purchase something to measure the humidity. Any recommendations?? I’ve already responded to this question. Please fill out this question once you’re able to measure it.
  • Plants - There is one big live plant in his cage and the rest are fake. I don’t know the exact name for sure but when I purchased this plant I googled it and made sure it was animal and chameleon safe. Any plants your chams love?? I’ve already responded to this.
  • Placement - His cage is located in my room. Where my dog and no one else really comes in. He is very comfortable and familiar with my room. It is not near any fans, air vents or high traffic areas. At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room? The cage is 4ft tall but it also sits on a 2ft tall stand I hade made for a drainage system so it sits fairly close to the ceiling.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Upstate New York.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
I looked over at his cage and found him upside down. he was on a branch with all four legs holding on to it upside down. Then when he tried to move I noticed he was moving very weird and was shaking. He was wobbling and kept falling over and tipping to one side. He was acting strange and sorta lethargic. his eyes were also sunken in. So, I took him out of his cage because I really thought he was going to fall which is not good. He was extremely clingy to me and the only other time he was this clingy was when he accidentally saw his reflection. When he is distressed he clings to me. So, I held him and he seemed to do a little better but he did not want to leave my hand and when I finally got him too he started to walk and he fell over again. Due to his eyes being sunken in I tried putting him in the shower just to let to humidity and mist help him. He seemed to respond well to it he walked a little better and brightened right up. I put him back in his cage where he didn’t move too much but he did walk around and did better. He is sleeping now but I will keep an eye on him and possibly plan a vet visit because i know sunken eyes, yellowish pee, hanging upside down, and acting sorta lethargic is not good at all. A vet appointment is definitely needed. I’ve already responded about what the vet needs to do. Just to reiterate, don’t use showers for you chameleon.

I hope I can find a good vet for him around me!! How do you know if the vet is experienced enough?
Looking on the vet thread in the health clinic forum and asking on here and Facebook, etc. Also just doing your own thorough research and calling the places near you

I actually had the like fogger humidifier machine but I found it created too much mold and for some reason my cham hated the fog he was like terrified of it haha but i’m thinking of getting one again. My dripper i have set up so that it drips directly down onto the plastic bottom so that nothing is effected.
Your dripper needs to be dripping off of leaves, not falling straight to the bottom

Again ,my feedback will be in red, sorry if I repeat some things, I’ll try not to. Thanks for posting this!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, male, 8 months. I have had him since he was a baby.
  • Handling - I handle him often. He will actually come to the front of the cage and climb near the latches on the cage door when he wants to come out. He will run into my hand which I know handling should be kept to a minimum but he absolutely loves to come out and explore. But he also loves being in his cage and is quite territorial of it at times so handling is only done when he allows for it and when I am cleaning his cage. Does he climb onto you because he genuinely wants attention/looking to roam for ladies or to escape his cage because he’s uncomfortable in it?
  • Feeding - I feed him mainly crickets but also occasionally meal worms, wax worms, horn worms, and dubai roaches. I have tried veggies but he did not care for them. Any recommendations on what types of veggies? I put about 10-15 large crickets in his cage at a time in the morning when i wake up and he hunts them at his own leisure. I feed him crickets either everyday or every other day. When i give him worms it’s more of a treat and I will give him 2-3 and i do this maybe 2-3 times a week. I don’t really know what I should be gutloading with but I feed his crickets carrots. Feeder species and gutload info have both already had photos attached to this thread about them.
  • Supplements - I have a zoo med calcium powder that contains D3 and I will dust his crickets with this maybe 2-3 times a week. I also have a zoo med vitamin powder that also contains D3 that i have not really used yet. I’ve already responded about this.
  • Watering - I have a misting machine that I can set to mist his cage for a certain amount of time every so often. I usually have it set to 45 or 60 seconds every hour. There are two tubes the water mists out of. Also the way I have the tube set up little water droplets drip 24/7. I also mist his entire cage with a water bottle at least twice a day. When I first got the misting machine my cham would here it go off and run to the water and I would see him drink from it constantly. But now i have not seen him drink at all for a while and I am home a lot considering we are in a pandemic. I’ve already responded about this.
  • Fecal Description - His poops look quite healthy to me they aren’t too hard or gooey. His pees though have been an ombré of yellow and white and sometimes are fairly yellow/orange. He has never been tested for parasites. Have a vet test his fecal for parasites.
  • History - Ever since he was a baby I would sometimes struggle to get him to drink. I can always tell when he hasn’t been drinking enough by his sunken in eyes. Compared to some of the people I have talked to who also have chameleons it sounds like mine is very active and moves and climbs constantly. Make sure to keep an eye on his hydration levels (no pun intended). An extra hornworm always adds a boost of water to a chameleon’s system.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - His cage is all screen. It is 2ft by 2ft and 4 ft tall. Great!
  • Lighting - I am not sure of the brand of bulbs I have. I just know I have 2 100 watt heat bulbs. I have a third but i don’t turn it on. I also have a long UVB bulb I’m not sure the brand or watt for that either but I think i still have all of the boxes somewhere. My lighting schedule is the two heat bulbs and the long UVB bulb are on for 12 hours straight and then they all are off at night. I’ve already asked questions on this.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I am unsure of these questions I need to purchase something to measure this. Any recommendations?? I’ve already responded to and asked questions about this. Once you’re able to measure this, please fill out this question.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I am unsure of these questions I need to purchase something to measure the humidity. Any recommendations?? I’ve already responded to this question. Please fill out this question once you’re able to measure it.
  • Plants - There is one big live plant in his cage and the rest are fake. I don’t know the exact name for sure but when I purchased this plant I googled it and made sure it was animal and chameleon safe. Any plants your chams love?? I’ve already responded to this.
  • Placement - His cage is located in my room. Where my dog and no one else really comes in. He is very comfortable and familiar with my room. It is not near any fans, air vents or high traffic areas. At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room? The cage is 4ft tall but it also sits on a 2ft tall stand I hade made for a drainage system so it sits fairly close to the ceiling.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Upstate New York.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
I looked over at his cage and found him upside down. he was on a branch with all four legs holding on to it upside down. Then when he tried to move I noticed he was moving very weird and was shaking. He was wobbling and kept falling over and tipping to one side. He was acting strange and sorta lethargic. his eyes were also sunken in. So, I took him out of his cage because I really thought he was going to fall which is not good. He was extremely clingy to me and the only other time he was this clingy was when he accidentally saw his reflection. When he is distressed he clings to me. So, I held him and he seemed to do a little better but he did not want to leave my hand and when I finally got him too he started to walk and he fell over again. Due to his eyes being sunken in I tried putting him in the shower just to let to humidity and mist help him. He seemed to respond well to it he walked a little better and brightened right up. I put him back in his cage where he didn’t move too much but he did walk around and did better. He is sleeping now but I will keep an eye on him and possibly plan a vet visit because i know sunken eyes, yellowish pee, hanging upside down, and acting sorta lethargic is not good at all. A vet appointment is definitely needed. I’ve already responded about what the vet needs to do. Just to reiterate, don’t use showers for you chameleon.
Thank you so much I will fill out the rest of the info when I can. I will look at the boxes of all of his bulbs and purchase stuff tomorrow in order to measure the humidity and temperature. Where should i be placing those in the cage? bottom? top? middle? both? And i genuinely think he loves to come out and explore and get attention. He is constantly on the move but when he is done exploring he will head straight to his cage which he gets very territorial of at times. I will review the info about the calcium and vitamins and look for it at the store tomorrow. I will also review the info sheets on gutloading. A vet appointment will be made! Thank you all so much for the help I will keep you posted!:)

Thank you so much I will fill out the rest of the info when I can. I will look at the boxes of all of his bulbs and purchase stuff tomorrow in order to measure the humidity and temperature. Where should i be placing those in the cage? bottom? top? middle? both? And i genuinely think he loves to come out and explore and get attention. He is constantly on the move but when he is done exploring he will head straight to his cage which he gets very territorial of at times. I will review the info about the calcium and vitamins and look for it at the store tomorrow. I will also review the info sheets on gutloading. A vet appointment will be made! Thank you all so much for the help I will keep you posted!:)
If the thermometer has probes, place one against his basking spot and one near the bottom of the cage. Place it by the basking area if it doesn’t have probes. Same thing with the hygrometer, except the probe or whole thing would be in the middle height of the cage. I use really cheap but accurate digital thermometer-hygrometer combos that don’t have probes from any home improvement store and place one near the basking area, middle of the cage, and bottom of the cage. I also have digital thermometers with probes that I place at the basking area. I think part of him wanting to come out of his cage is genuine since you said he doesn’t always like to. It’s just always to figure out why they want out. How long do you keep him out of his cage? Thank you for being so nice, receptive, and asking lots of questions!

I actually had the like fogger humidifier machine but I found it created too much mold and for some reason my cham hated the fog he was like terrified of it haha but i’m thinking of getting one again. My dripper i have set up so that it drips directly down onto the plastic bottom so that nothing is effected.
Yes my chameleon doesn’t like the fog either so I set it up when she sleeps I drop her temp and fog her and I mist a couple min after lights out and before lights on, she also hates misting so this makes it easy on her.☺️

Back
Top Bottom