Urgent! Cat got to Chameleon

masonw

I have taken care of the cat, I just want to know if the chameleon is in dire care! It has about an inch long vertical gash on it's rear abdomen, I put triple antibiotic on the wound. The wound itself has not punctured into the abdomen, but I can see one of his ribs behind a faint wall of flesh. I called the exotic vet and they said to bring him in whenever it starts looking infected/gets worse, just wanted to get y'alls opinion. The chameleon herself is walking around like nothing is wrong, better be safe than sorry though. Would upload a picture but the file size is either too large or it keeps saving as a HEIC file, not too tech savvy.

I would be rushing to get the chameleon into the vet asap. Cat bites can be deceiving in their depth and they have a ton of bacteria in their mouth. Your chameleon needs an antibiotic, possibly a stitch or two and maybe something for pain.
I do hope you didn’t hurt the cat. It was only being a cat…they are predators and chameleons are prey. I adore my lazy old cats and dog, but there’s no way I’d ever trust them for a second with my reptiles.

I would be rushing to get the chameleon into the vet asap. Cat bites can be deceiving in their depth and they have a ton of bacteria in their mouth. Your chameleon needs an antibiotic, possibly a stitch or two and maybe something for pain.
I do hope you didn’t hurt the cat. It was only being a cat…they are predators and chameleons are prey. I adore my lazy old cats and dog, but there’s no way I’d ever trust them for a second with my reptiles.
The cat is just sectioned off in his own room, would never hurt any animal, its in his genetic coding can't be too mad. I'll see if I can find any emergency exotic vets around, unfortunately I live in a rural area and all the vets within an hour are closed/mammal. I will for sure take her tomorrow morning to a clinic about 40 minutes way from me, would do right now but as I said they are closed. Is there any temporary relief I could provide in the meantime? She is still eating and drinking, just hate for her to have to suffer. This is my first pet-on-pet attack, my apologies if I sound clueless.

Welcome to the forum!

I hope your chameleon will be ok.
How old is she?

Can you find a way to post photos of the damage to the chameleon please? I know you said they are too large.

The cat is just sectioned off in his own room, would never hurt any animal, its in his genetic coding can't be too mad. I'll see if I can find any emergency exotic vets around, unfortunately I live in a rural area and all the vets within an hour are closed/mammal. I will for sure take her tomorrow morning to a clinic about 40 minutes way from me, would do right now but as I said they are closed. Is there any temporary relief I could provide in the meantime? She is still eating and drinking, just hate for her to have to suffer. This is my first pet-on-pet attack, my apologies if I sound clueless.
The only thing that I know to tell you to do is to apply a small amount of plain neosporin (not the kind with pain relief in it) or manuka honey around the wounds. Maybe @kinyonga has better advice.
To post a pic, use the ‘attach files’ button and then choose the source, then ‘add’ pic and choose what size to ‘insert’.

Welcome to the forum!

I hope your chameleon will be ok.
How old is she?

Can you find a way to post photos of the damage to the chameleon please? I know you said they are too large.
I found out how, here they are (sorry for the cage being in the way in the first). This is the worst wound, everything else is minor scratches, and I have already set an appointment first thing tomorrow morning to get her proper antibiotics and im assuming a stitch(s). As stated, for now I just applied triple antibiotic. I got her when she was about a month or so old, in the baby stage, around June of 2022. She is my first Chameleon I have owned and it pains me that this whole situation happened, Cat managed to get into my room and then climb atop her cage (which is 5 feet tall, 6 1/2 with the table its on), where he fell through the top and landed on the bottom. Im assuming he swatted at the cham., resulting in the laceration.

Attachments

• IMG_9414.JPG
    IMG_9414.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9415.JPG
    IMG_9415.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 8
The only thing that I know to tell you to do is to apply a small amount of plain neosporin (not the kind with pain relief in it) or manuka honey around the wounds. Maybe @kinyonga has better advice.
To post a pic, use the ‘attach files’ button and then choose the source, then ‘add’ pic and choose what size to ‘insert’.
Pics posted above, thank you for the recommendation and the assistance!

Poor sweet girl. 😟 I’m glad that you’ve got a vet appointment in the morning. I pray she’ll be ok. Do keep us updated.
For sure, I will update as soon as the appointment is over. Thank you and everyone else for helping us out, unfortunate to join under these circumstances but we shall prevail! She seems to be a tough girl, just needs a little boost and some stitches at most im hoping. Once again, this community is amazing, thank you all.

Poor sweet girl. 😟 I’m glad that you’ve got a vet appointment in the morning. I pray she’ll be ok. Do keep us updated.
With a broken heart, I must inform you that she has passed on. The vet discovered her organ cavity to be punctured and gave her less than a %50 chance of survival, and emphasized the pain she would be in. Euthanasia was the most appropriate option, as her pain would have lasted for an uncertain chance. I have had her cremated and will be receiving her ashes within a week. Thank you for your support, my baby is no longer in pain and is at peace.

With a broken heart, I must inform you that she has passed on. The vet discovered her organ cavity to be punctured and gave her less than a %50 chance of survival, and emphasized the pain she would be in. Euthanasia was the most appropriate option, as her pain would have lasted for an uncertain chance. I have had her cremated and will be receiving her ashes within a week. Thank you for your support, my baby is no longer in pain and is at peace.
You responded with compassion so you have nothing to feel bad about. Please don't blame yourself and hang in there.

🥺 I’m so very sorry that she was beyond help. It was a difficult decision to make, but you gave her peace from suffering and without delay. She’s now making the hereafter more beautiful. (((💗)))

Thank you all for the kindness and support, having a community of great and amazing people such as y'all helps the grieving process immensely. I will continue to stay on this forum, as the hospitality demonstrated has been astounding. I have a male Jackson's Chameleon who is between the baby and juvenile stage that I have had for about a year now, will be sure to request any tips and tricks in the future if ever need be (not cat related! Precautions have been taken). Once again, thank you all from the bottom of my heart, the pain has been easier having a wonderful community like you to support each other.

Back
Top Bottom