" URGENT " All your help is needed!!!!!

James45

Hi,

The very endangered Desert Tortoise is on the brink of extinction, and the BLM is going to close down one of the only sanctuary facilities that exists for them. They will euthanize any animals that are there when the time comes (they say SOON), and will be euthanizing any that come in as they don't have funding or space. The facility houses hundreds of tortoises. These animals are vital to their ecosystem, our ecosystem. There has to be another answer. More info here: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/desert-tortoise-faces-threat-refuge-20060609

That's why I signed a petition to Neil Kornze, Principal Deputy Director, BLM, which says:

"Stop the plan to kill hundreds of endangered desert tortoises. Keep the Desert Tortoise Conservation Center open, or find appropriate zoo placement for these precious animals. There is NO reason to euthanize!"

Will you sign the petition too? Click here to add your name:

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/blm-stop-the-plan-to?source=s.fwd&r_by=8636388

Thanks!

I'm under 18

So I'm pretty sure I can't sign it myself, but I'll get my parents to, and try to spread the word!!

Thanks for informing us. I would have never known otherwise :eek:

Here is a statement from Fish and Wildlife:

Recent media reports regarding the status of desert tortoises at the Desert Tortoise Conservation Center (DTCC) have implied that the FWS is currently euthanizing desert tortoises at the facility. We want the public to know that the FWS is not euthanizing healthy tortoises.

The DTCC was established in 1990 to receive wild tortoises in harm’s way from development and has taken in unwanted pets since 1996. Over 1,000 tortoises arrived at the DTCC each year, and approximately 98 percent of those are surrendered or stray pets. Science-based protocols developed for desert tortoises brought to the DTCC have been instrumental in helping the FWS maintain a healthy population of desert tortoise in the wild. Managing to recover desert tortoise, a threatened species, is a complex task in which all options need to be considered, and all risks and benefits to the species must be assessed.

Many pet tortoises, unfortunately, are diseased or otherwise in poor health, and run the risk of spreading disease to wild tortoises. These tortoises cannot be relocated to the wild, or otherwise contribute to recovery of the desert tortoise population. Sometimes euthanasia of unhealthy pet tortoises is necessary, but only as last resort, and only after we evaluate other options. All healthy tortoises at the DTCC will be relocated to sites that will support the recovery of the species.

Progress is being made on translocating the healthy DTCC tortoise population to the wild. A Programmatic Environmental Assessment is complete, and tortoises are already being translocated by the FWS to an approved site in Trout Canyon, Nevada. Public scoping for a second translocation plan was completed Aug 22, 2013, for a proposed translocation area south of Coyote Springs, Nevada.

The Animal Foundation (TAF), Lied Animal Shelter continues to take in unwanted pet tortoises from the public. However, the fact remains that the DTCC does not currently have the capacity or the funding to accept and care for additional tortoises.

Recovery of the desert tortoise in the wild continues to be our top priority. However we are deeply concerned about the growing number of unwanted pets, and will continue to work with our partner agencies toward finding a suitable solution for tortoises that cannot be returned to the wild.

FWS

Back
Top Bottom