Upgrading habitat, probably an easy question

Js30x

I know it is not necessarily ideal, but I could not pass up the opportunity to buy a $30 55 long gallon aquarium from a buddy of mine. I plan on having the entire top of the aquarium screened and also plan on removing one of the side glasses and replacing it with a screen for extra ventilation. I have two options really here. I have her in a twelve by twelve by eighteen terrarium currently. My first option, and question, would be possibly just setting up the 55 on its side. This way it is now 48" high as opposed to 48" long. Again, I would set it up so it would be well ventilated and more than likely increase the wattage on my basking bulb to provide a little more basking heat for the bigger tank. Any comments or even just a flat no would be greatly appreciated on this idea. My second choice would be to still use the 55, but leave it long. Now if I did this I would probably take the old terrarium and actually set it on top, seal it, and then that would obviously add another foot and a half of height to at least a section of the 55. Obviously this would require a little more work, and possibly two separate basking bulbs -- one for one far side of the 55 and one for the top of the old terrarium (Not sure if this would be necessary yet). I do provide it with UVB light nearly 24/7 because when I took her in she had metabolic bone disorder. Seems to be getting a lot better. Just to throw this in I am all set and familiar on all the care for them and what is required, I work at a PetSmart (Not that that makes me an expert, which is why I am here seeking some advice.) Any suggestions on the terrarium situation again would be greatly appreciated, so far I am leaning towards idea number one as long as nobody sees a big problem with it. I know this was lengthy, but thanks a lot to anyone who can help me.

Oh and one more thing, well two actually. Forgot to mention it is a veil, and as for the reflections on the glass would anyone recommend using backdrops on the glass parts of the aquarium? It has not seemed to be much of a problem so far, but I obviously cannot just ask her if she doesn't like it. I'll also add she is very friendly, enjoys being handled once in a while, never forced though. Really seems to be a great first chameleon for me which is why I'm here asking for advice.

I know it is not necessarily ideal, but I could not pass up the opportunity to buy a $30 55 long gallon aquarium from a buddy of mine. I plan on having the entire top of the aquarium screened and also plan on removing one of the side glasses and replacing it with a screen for extra ventilation. I have two options really here. I have her in a twelve by twelve by eighteen terrarium currently. My first option, and question, would be possibly just setting up the 55 on its side. This way it is now 48" high as opposed to 48" long. Again, I would set it up so it would be well ventilated and more than likely increase the wattage on my basking bulb to provide a little more basking heat for the bigger tank. Any comments or even just a flat no would be greatly appreciated on this idea. My second choice would be to still use the 55, but leave it long. Now if I did this I would probably take the old terrarium and actually set it on top, seal it, and then that would obviously add another foot and a half of height to at least a section of the 55. Obviously this would require a little more work, and possibly two separate basking bulbs -- one for one far side of the 55 and one for the top of the old terrarium (Not sure if this would be necessary yet). I do provide it with UVB light nearly 24/7 because when I took her in she had metabolic bone disorder. Seems to be getting a lot better. Just to throw this in I am all set and familiar on all the care for them and what is required, I work at a PetSmart (Not that that makes me an expert, which is why I am here seeking some advice.) Any suggestions on the terrarium situation again would be greatly appreciated, so far I am leaning towards idea number one as long as nobody sees a big problem with it. I know this was lengthy, but thanks a lot to anyone who can help me.

i would like to first address the MBD issue. IMHO i dont think there is any benefit keeping the UVB/UVA lights on nearly 24/7. despite your cham's past illness, it is still a healthy decision to have your lights 12/12, or 14/10. 14 hours of daylight is fine, but certainly no more than that. have you taken your veiled to a vet before? i think a check up and exam would be very beneficial. get a blood test done, and see what he lacks or has to much of in terms of vitamins and minerals. you will then be able to help safely stop, minimize or reverse any existing MBD.

too your cage. I honestly feel and know that by the time you are finished modifying a long aquarium into a tall vivarium, you are going to be paying and spending more than you would getting a 2x2x4 reptibreeze. IMO, space is just as important as height. some long aquariums just dont have the right square area, thus confinement in the cage can lead to strees and unhappiness. this project would be very time consuming and expensive. there would be alot of glass cutting and trimming, drilling... it would be a nightmare. not at all saying you couldnt do it, but there are ways to get it done much easier. also too, i am not sure where you live, but a modified aquarium may not be the way to go for you.. you NEED to create a chimney affect for heat to sink and rise creating thermoregulation, and with that, adequate air flow is needed too, you'll have to make sure it is properly set up to do this.

Oh and one more thing, well two actually. Forgot to mention it is a veil, and as for the reflections on the glass would anyone recommend using backdrops on the glass parts of the aquarium? It has not seemed to be much of a problem so far, but I obviously cannot just ask her if she doesn't like it. I'll also add she is very friendly, enjoys being handled once in a while, never forced though. Really seems to be a great first chameleon for me which is why I'm here asking for advice.
reflections off the glass is a myth, it isn't true. though back drops make a viv look great. i am glad that you are having a wonderful time with her, i would just suggest keeping at learning, and giving her the best you can give at this time. you should do more research and get prepared for future events like clutch laying (infertile and fertile), gut loading, and in general, proper care for females. i believe PangeaReptiles sales 2x2x4 reptibreezes for 80$ thats where i ordered my girlfriends! that is a steal price

hope my info helped, best of luck

A 55 long aqaurium would not be ideal no matter how you recontruct it since it is only 12 3/4 inches deep-certainly not a good dimension for a chameleon cage. I also agree that it will cost more than buying one, and that it would be difficult to hang branches from and clean, and lighting would be difficult since UVB does not pass through glass or plastic. For my rescues that have had MBD, I tend to put them in a bit smaller cage that I would if they were normal if they have leg deformities that prevent them from moving normally.

Alrighty thanks a lot for the advice. The last time she was at the vet was before she actually left PetSmart, so a check up is probably a good idea definitely will get that done soon. I do pay close attention to her health and it has only increased (from what I can see at least). As for setup for the 55 I was just going to knock out one of the sides with a hammer and just make sure to get all the glass out cleanly. That way I'd have the top and front completely screened with the bottom and back glass (Obviously after being flipped). Also, I figured depth would not be much of a problem as long as I set it up nice inside with plenty of branches and other things stretching diagonally giving it plenty of room to move around. I will definitely check out that tank you mentioned, $80 is a great price for that if it is still that. I know even for the Exoterra one I was looking at, although I cannot completely remember the dimensions, would have ran me around $180. Anyways, appreciate your time and advice.

Hello, I also don't know where you are but you cage get a very affordable screen cage from LLL reptile - a sponsor here. I would be sure to get the screen rather than the mesh as the screen will allow more uvb to get to your chameleon. Their are lots of reasons but to me screen cages are great most of the time. Some climates are not good for using screen cages due to the inability to maintain temps and humidity. Maintaining the temps and humidity in the 55 gal would be a nightmare, as would be getting a good sized plant in the cage. I have a million tanks from my keeping beardies days and wish the tanks would convert but no such luck.

Let us know how it goes.

Just checked out the LLL site and I actually think I found what I am going to end up getting. One more question though, and again I really appreciate the help from everybody. Coconut Bark -- thoughts? I was using a type of moss before, but ever since I started the coconut bark it has seemed much happier. Is the possibility of ingesting it high and actually harmful? So far it's worked out much better, and much easier to keep clean, but I do not want to be taking unnecessary risks.

I would be cheaper to make your own cage from scratch then let alone remodeling the cage you are attempting. I would not do it and nor would I think it would look good. Just build or buy a reptarium :)

Just checked out the LLL site and I actually think I found what I am going to end up getting. One more question though, and again I really appreciate the help from everybody. Coconut Bark -- thoughts? I was using a type of moss before, but ever since I started the coconut bark it has seemed much happier. Is the possibility of ingesting it high and actually harmful? So far it's worked out much better, and much easier to keep clean, but I do not want to be taking unnecessary risks.

You shouldn't need Coconut bark. If you are looking to cover the soil of yoru plants, use water rocks larger then his head :)

i would say use nuthing on the bottom. chams that i have had before i have watched eat the coconut bark and moss. i have also watched them eat the potting soil on the one plant i forgot to put rocks on.

as much as i love petco i dont listen to 90% of the advise they give for pets.
like my first cham, they talked me in to getting the 12''x12''x18'' 80$+tax zoo meds terraruim saying it will last his whole life. and they said the zilla lights were the best for chams... shows me right for not doing enough research for the breed i wanted.

but we all live and learn. but some try to get help before its too late.

i would say put a divider in the 55gal u have and use it to breed feeders :p

Back
Top Bottom