Updates on my cham!! + new info

C0nwayy

Okok hello! Sorry for not posting lol I always forget. But we took Jack to his first veterinary visit and he’s all good. Apparently he’s suffered from MBD as a baby, and the hole in his casque is a burn bark he got in his previous home as well. This time I also informed myself on more about chameleons and honestly.. not everything HAS to be the way people have been telling me 🤨 the care for a chameleon in Spain is totally different. As we have dry environments in my zone, we have to keep our chameleons in a glass enclosure with one or two metallic mesh screens for ventilation. The veterinary told me to change his terrarium already, which I did, it’s 90 cm tall, wide, and 60 cm deep. I’m setting it up with branches and instead of getting a T5HO, I switched to one of those bulbs that give out UVB and heat at the same time and he’s so healthy. We also bonded a lot 🥺 About the tongue issue, turns out his hylloid bone (idk how to write it) is bent due to the previous MBD, and he has to be taught on how to use it again. She also recommended to take out the Calcium + D3 and give calcium on every feeding and Multivitamin with D3 once a week.
508CDBED-47B5-4492-89CD-74D53C009528.jpeg

That's great! I'm glad your guy is so healthy!
Of course there isnt only 1 right answer for how to care for a chameleon. There are many methods and we all have to find out what works for us. I'm glad you found out that a glass enclosure will work for you! I also like how your going to provide your supplements, that's how I do mine too! About the uv, do you have a solar meter? If the bulb is a 2 in 1 what will you do if the enclosure gets too hot? You wont be able to turn off the bulb because then you'll also turn off the uv... likewise, what if you have to move the bulb further away to reduce heat and now are not providing adequate uv, or the other way, what if you need the bulb closer for more heat and now you're causing overexposure to uv? I'm not trying to dissuade you from using that bulb, I'm just curious how you will regulate it.

By the way, that picture is absolutely adorable!!!

That's great! I'm glad your guy is so healthy!
Of course there isnt only 1 right answer for how to care for a chameleon. There are many methods and we all have to find out what works for us. I'm glad you found out that a glass enclosure will work for you! I also like how your going to provide your supplements, that's how I do mine too! About the uv, do you have a solar meter? If the bulb is a 2 in 1 what will you do if the enclosure gets too hot? You wont be able to turn off the bulb because then you'll also turn off the uv... likewise, what if you have to move the bulb further away to reduce heat and now are not providing adequate uv, or the other way, what if you need the bulb closer for more heat and now you're causing overexposure to uv? I'm not trying to dissuade you from using that bulb, I'm just curious how you will regulate it.

By the way, that picture is absolutely adorable!!!
Ayo!
I’ve been looking to buy this thing that allows you to lift the bulb closer or more far from the enclosure, however, I don’t think that’ll be an issue, but if I don’t happen to get used to the 2 in 1 I’ll most likely switch to the compact bulb she recommended and a heat bulb, which I already got from the vet.

Ayo!
I’ve been looking to buy this thing that allows you to lift the bulb closer or more far from the enclosure, however, I don’t think that’ll be an issue, but if I don’t happen to get used to the 2 in 1 I’ll most likely switch to the compact bulb she recommended and a heat bulb, which I already got from the vet.
What do you have against the T5?
With a compact you'll have to allow your chameleon to be within 2 inches of it to get adequate uv, which wont even matter much if you take Jack outside often for real sun. Im curious why your very recommended the coil bulb, did they tell you why it would be better?

Without a meter it's not wise to use the 2 and 1 bulbs for a chameleon.
My vet has kept chameleons for years and they lived for more than 7 years, maximum 9 and one of them 10, she’s always used a 2 in 1 or a compact plus a heat bulb. More than a vet, she has a title that claims she’s a doctor in this “area” but I forgot what the name is in english. The bulb she told me to get is good for the terrarium I have as it’s 90 cm tall and wide.

What do you have against the T5?
With a compact you'll have to allow your chameleon to be within 2 inches of it to get adequate uv, which wont even matter much if you take Jack outside often for real sun. Im curious why your very recommended the coil bulb, did they tell you why it would be better?
Yeah! I take him outside every morning, as I don’t have an outside plant, he just sits on my arm and basks while I read or check my phone. He’s gotten that used to me. About the T5, it’s REALLY difficult to find the fixtures and the bulbs in my zone and when you do, they’re sold for the same price as the terrarium I got him :,)) I did see they’re affordable in the US, I guess it’s because they have to import them here or sum.

She probably used a solar meter, though. Either way, if you trust her judgement then go ahead and follow her advice. That only makes sense. I'm just curious if she told you why she suggests that over a T5?

Yeah! I take him outside every morning, as I don’t have an outside plant, he just sits on my arm and basks while I read or check my phone. He’s gotten that used to me. About the T5, it’s REALLY difficult to find the fixtures and the bulbs in my zone and when you do, they’re sold for the same price as the terrarium I got him :,)) I did see they’re affordable in the US, I guess it’s because they have to import them here or sum.

She probably used a solar meter, though. Either way, if you trust her judgement then go ahead and follow her advice. That only makes sense. I'm just curious if she told you why she suggests that over a T5?
Price does make a difference. If you're taking him outside everyday then he doesnt need much uv. Just double check to make sure the uv levels arent too high from the lights you choose.

And be sure to let us know how it goes if/when you do switch!

She did suggest the T5 but she’s aware it’s really difficult to find them in my area. And again, when you do find them, it’s either them being sold too expensive or the ballast not being strong enough for the bulb.

Price does make a difference. If you're taking him outside everyday then he doesnt need much uv. Just double check to make sure the uv levels arent too high from the lights you choose.

And be sure to let us know how it goes if/when you do switch!
I usually stay with him outside for an hour more or less, would that be okay? At the moment, I moved him to his new terrarium and I have a T8 5.0 I had lying around home while I wait to get the 2 in 1, I just need to get paid but I think I may have a chance to get it tonight.

Back
Top Bottom