Updated Husbandry Check

sageyurisic

• Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon, male, i think around 4 months the pet store did not know... i just got him 3 days ago
  • Handling - have not been handling him, letting him get comfy in his home. when wld be a good idea to start handling ?
  • Feeding - crickets and just ordered horn worms. i give him ab 6 crickets every day i just drop them in his cage he is still afraid of my hand so hand feeding doesnt work. i give my crickets carrots i am not sure what wld be a good gutload for them cld you recommend something ?
  • Supplements - ReptiCalcium with d3 and also without have dusted without d3 since i got him was going to dust with d3 next week and alternate weekly.
  • Watering - i mist him my own, ab 3 times a day 2-5 mins depending on if he is drinking or not.
  • Fecal Description - i just bought him he has not been to a vet for testing. wld it be a good idea to take him to one

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? screen 16x16x24. just bought a screen 24x24x48 and will be transferring him to that once it gets here.
  • Lighting - was using the zilla 15 watt t8 uvb, i was told it was wrong so i ordered a t5 15w and in the meantime i am using the 5.0 10w uvb. is this bulb okay until the t5 comes in ? 10:30am-10:30pm
  • Temperature - cage floor temp is 73 basking spot is 77-79. lowest overnight temp is 70. i have a digital thermometer/ hydrometer at the bottom of the cage and a digital thermometer at his basking spot.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? the humidity in my house stays around 60% in his cage it is 55-59%. i purchased a dehumidifier in the meantime i have a fan on. i use a digital hydrometer
  • Plants - at the moment i am using plastic plants until the real live plants get here. i ordered a golden pothos and croton.
  • Placement - cage is located at the end of my bed and about 4 feet beside the cage is a window. air vent across the room at least 15-20 feet away. he is places on a table. i am 5”4 the top of the cage is about 3 inches higher than me.
  • Location - PA

@sageyurisic I am going to red bold my feedback and questions. :)
  • Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon, male, i think around 4 months the pet store did not know... i just got him 3 days ago
  • Handling - have not been handling him, letting him get comfy in his home. when wld be a good idea to start handling ? Give him 2 more weeks to setting in. You can try hand feeding now.
  • Feeding - crickets and just ordered horn worms. i give him ab 6 crickets every day i just drop them in his cage he is still afraid of my hand so hand feeding doesnt work. i give my crickets carrots i am not sure what wld be a good gutload for them cld you recommend something ? Did the pet store give you an age? Please post pics of the chameleon and the entire cage lighting down. At 4 months he should be eating 12 small crickets every day in the morning. See gutload image below.
  • Supplements - ReptiCalcium with d3 and also without have dusted without d3 since i got him was going to dust with d3 next week and alternate weekly. You will need to buy reptivite without D3 for your multivitamin. You will use calcium WITHOUT D3 at every feeding lightly dusted on feeders. Then use calcium WITH D3 two times a month and the Reptivite WITHOUT D3 two times a month. These two get rotated week to week.
  • Watering - i mist him my own, ab 3 times a day 2-5 mins depending on if he is drinking or not. Mist the plants in the cage that is how he will drink. 2 minutes is a good duration. Mistking is the best automatic mister on the market if you want to switch.
  • Fecal Description - i just bought him he has not been to a vet for testing. wld it be a good idea to take him to one I always recommend getting a fecal done to ensure he does not have any parasites.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? screen 16x16x24. just bought a screen 24x24x48 and will be transferring him to that once it gets here. Perfect you might want to buy dragon ledges to mount pots and branches higher in the cage. https://dragonstrand.com/dragon-ledges/ He also sells drip pans for the 2x2x4 cage.
  • Lighting - was using the zilla 15 watt t8 uvb, i was told it was wrong so i ordered a t5 15w and in the meantime i am using the 5.0 10w uvb. is this bulb okay until the t5 comes in ? 10:30am-10:30pm For the T5HO fixture does it come with the 5.0 bulb? Depending on the distance from light to basking is what matters with a T8. If it is only a matter of a week until you get the new fixture he will be fine.
  • Temperature - cage floor temp is 73 basking spot is 77-79. lowest overnight temp is 70. i have a digital thermometer/ hydrometer at the bottom of the cage and a digital thermometer at his basking spot. These are great numbers. he can even be at 82-83 at basking.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? the humidity in my house stays around 60% in his cage it is 55-59%. i purchased a dehumidifier in the meantime i have a fan on. i use a digital hydrometer. So he may not have an issue at all with the higher humidity. I commented in your other thread. Do not put the dehumidifier in the cage. Set it next to it. typically Veileds prefer 30-50% during the day.
  • Plants - at the moment i am using plastic plants until the real live plants get here. i ordered a golden pothos and croton. Good plants to get. You want to get some 1 inch or larger rocks to put on top of the dirt to keep him from eating it.
  • Placement - cage is located at the end of my bed and about 4 feet beside the cage is a window. air vent across the room at least 15-20 feet away. he is places on a table. i am 5”4 the top of the cage is about 3 inches higher than me.
  • Location - PA
Accurate info and Product links for things I like:

https://chameleonacademy.com/

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?sub_confirmation=1

www.dragonstrand.com

https://tkchameleons.com/collections/accessories/products/shooting-gallery

chameleon-food(1).jpg
chameleon-gutload.jpg

@sageyurisic I am going to red bold my feedback and questions. :)
  • Handling - have not been handling him, letting him get comfy in his home. when wld be a good idea to start handling ? Give him 2 more weeks to setting in. You can try hand feeding now.
  • Feeding - crickets and just ordered horn worms. i give him ab 6 crickets every day i just drop them in his cage he is still afraid of my hand so hand feeding doesnt work. i give my crickets carrots i am not sure what wld be a good gutload for them cld you recommend something ? Did the pet store give you an age? Please post pics of the chameleon and the entire cage lighting down. At 4 months he should be eating 12 small crickets every day in the morning. See gutload image below.
  • Supplements - ReptiCalcium with d3 and also without have dusted without d3 since i got him was going to dust with d3 next week and alternate weekly. You will need to buy reptivite without D3 for your multivitamin. You will use calcium WITHOUT D3 at every feeding lightly dusted on feeders. Then use calcium WITH D3 two times a month and the Reptivite WITHOUT D3 two times a month. These two get rotated week to week.
  • Watering - i mist him my own, ab 3 times a day 2-5 mins depending on if he is drinking or not. Mist the plants in the cage that is how he will drink. 2 minutes is a good duration. Mistking is the best automatic mister on the market if you want to switch.
  • Fecal Description - i just bought him he has not been to a vet for testing. wld it be a good idea to take him to one I always recommend getting a fecal done to ensure he does not have any parasites.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? screen 16x16x24. just bought a screen 24x24x48 and will be transferring him to that once it gets here. Perfect you might want to buy dragon ledges to mount pots and branches higher in the cage. https://dragonstrand.com/dragon-ledges/ He also sells drip pans for the 2x2x4 cage.
  • Lighting - was using the zilla 15 watt t8 uvb, i was told it was wrong so i ordered a t5 15w and in the meantime i am using the 5.0 10w uvb. is this bulb okay until the t5 comes in ? 10:30am-10:30pm For the T5HO fixture does it come with the 5.0 bulb? Depending on the distance from light to basking is what matters with a T8. If it is only a matter of a week until you get the new fixture he will be fine.
  • Temperature - cage floor temp is 73 basking spot is 77-79. lowest overnight temp is 70. i have a digital thermometer/ hydrometer at the bottom of the cage and a digital thermometer at his basking spot. These are great numbers. he can even be at 82-83 at basking.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? the humidity in my house stays around 60% in his cage it is 55-59%. i purchased a dehumidifier in the meantime i have a fan on. i use a digital hydrometer. So he may not have an issue at all with the higher humidity. I commented in your other thread. Do not put the dehumidifier in the cage. Set it next to it. typically Veileds prefer 30-50% during the day.
  • Plants - at the moment i am using plastic plants until the real live plants get here. i ordered a golden pothos and croton. Good plants to get. You want to get some 1 inch or larger rocks to put on top of the dirt to keep him from eating it.
  • Location - PA
Accurate info and Product links for things I like:

https://chameleonacademy.com/

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?sub_confirmation=1

www.dragonstrand.com

https://tkchameleons.com/collections/accessories/products/shooting-gallery

View attachment 270307View attachment 270308
thankyou so much !! rlly appreciate your feedback. i will be buying the terra monsoon misting device at the moment amazon and on mistkings website they are out of the basic mister so im moving on to what is second best lol

thankyou so much !! rlly appreciate your feedback. i will be buying the terra monsoon misting device at the moment amazon and on mistkings website they are out of the basic mister so im moving on to what is second best lol
You can get the mistking from Josh's frogs and use the code ReptilianGarden at checkout for 15% off. The monsoon breaks and has a small reservoir.

Back
Top Bottom