Update

BbyK4y

After another week or so with Karma my 11 month old, female, veiled chameleon I decided since I was unsure if she was egg bound or had back/leg problems that I would seek out help from a coworker who has had a female veiled before with a defect and she agreed she thought Karma was egg bound and so I made the choice to better her life and gave my coworker Karma. She was well taken care of with me, but I couldn't watch her die if she didn't lay her eggs soon. I've decided to get a male chameleon for my next one.

I've been interested in a Flap Neck Chameleon but besides the size difference, how can you tell male or female?

Did you ever take her to a vet? They could have given her a shot to try and induce her to lay the eggs.

The chameleon is most likely in a better place but before getting another Cham please re-think your decision. As responsible pet owners it is our responsibility to care for these animals. Their vet care can get very pricey and extensive. Your Chams ailment was easily treated and would not have cost much money, just time and effort. These animals are difficult to care for and require a lot of time.

7/14/14

I did take her to the vet and talked about her options. She's had the eggs in her for too long. I took her to the vet the second I thought she was egg bound, the vet said she was in perfect health but I knew they were wrong by just looking at her. She refuses to eat or drink. I gave her to a friend that has dealt with a chameleon like this before and even she said Karma is being far too stubborn.

Stop judging me and acting like I'm not cut out to take care of this type of animal. I work for a pet store. I know how to take care of many kinds of animals. I can't force my chameleon to do something she doesn't want to do just like how I can't force you guys to stop being so judgmental towards me.

I did everything I could. I read so much about Chameleons but I never thought that eggs would be a problem because I did not plan on breeding her. I did everything you're suppose to do when a chameleon is going to lay their eggs and she won't lay them. It isn't an uncommon thing.

She's going to die and thats it. I did everything I could. If she doesn't want to eat I can't shove food down her throat she blocks it. She is choosing to do these things and I've done everything I can and my friend agreed who has dealt with this situation before I did it all. I gave her away so she could live a better life with the small amount of time she has left since she refuses to eat, drink, or lay her eggs. If I was to induce her to lay the eggs, she still refuses to eat or drink so either way she dies. It happens. Thats life.

So no, it isn't that I'm "not cut out for it". I'm capable of taking care of a chameleon and any other type of animal. I have plenty of other animals that have lived for years on end and some for additional years longer than their lifespan even should be.

I would really think again about Flap necks. They are most often WC and much more difficult to take care of than a female veiled. If you are willing to listen and not take everything personal, I would get a male veiled or Panther.

Back
Top Bottom