Update on the Grey Headed Veiled.

Scotty

Hey all,
Popeye is 6 months 'ish' old now and his grey head has not coloured up like the rest of his body!
Any advice, input, similar experiences from the pro's on his progression would be much appreciated.
Is this normal/common, or is he one of the cursed that has a great body and a bad head....you know a paper bag job...LOL
The pic is of him at 5 months old, but he hasn't changed much since.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Scott.

Attachments

• popeye 5 months old 9.11.07.jpg
    popeye 5 months old 9.11.07.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 466
Shedding?

From your picture it looks like he has shedding skin on his head. Is he shedding right now? It sure looks like the head is in the process of shedding.

Tarzan does that alot. He some how clears all the pigment out in his face and crest. It will be fine and I think it looks cool.

Hey all,
Popeye is 6 months 'ish' old now and his grey head has not coloured up like the rest of his body!
Any advice, input, similar experiences from the pro's on his progression would be much appreciated.
Is this normal/common, or is he one of the cursed that has a great body and a bad head....you know a paper bag job...LOL
The pic is of him at 5 months old, but he hasn't changed much since.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Scott.

i believe there are phases when only their head shed.
after these phases, your chameleon's head will catch up with his body

From your picture it looks like he has shedding skin on his head. Is he shedding right now? It sure looks like the head is in the process of shedding.

No Catherine he's not shedding right now,wish he was, it does look that way dosen't it, I too am optimistic it will just fall off and reveal his beautifully coloured head and casque. If he was shedding, it would be the world record for a herp shedding his head...lol, approx 3 months all told!
I have dragons of different species and they usually have a whole body shed, basically all at once (occasional dags hanging on for a bit longer) but being new to this specie, it is rather perplexing and frustrating at the same time!
I want to see his head match his body...:eek:
It's always "cool" looking herpluva, when it's someone else's animal...lol
I hope your right dodolah...
Cheers guys, always good to hear your opinions! :)
Regards
Scott. :)

Last edited:
No Catherine he's not shedding right now,wish he was, it does look that way dosen't it, I too am optimistic it will just fall off and reveal his beautifully coloured head and casque. If he was shedding, it would be the world record for a herp shedding his head...lol, approx 3 months all told!
I have dragons of different species and they usually have a whole body shed, basically all at once (occasional dags hanging on for a bit longer) but being new to this specie, it is rather perplexing and frustrating at the same time!
I want to see his head match his body...:eek:
It's always "cool" looking herpluva, when it's someone else's animal...lol
Cheers guys, always good to hear your opinions! :)
Regards
Scott. :)

again.. like i said, there will be time when only his head will shed.
just make sure the humidity kept high cause it promotes shedding.

I had a similar experiance with my vield male at that age. At 9 months, his head has colored up now matching the rest or him.

Last edited:
I also had a similar experience with my veiled not shedding on his head...
The casque on mine built up to several layer of skin, until It finally started to break off..

It should be fine, give it time.. Plenty of misting.. Oh and use warm water..

Everyone has had this experience because this is what happens with veileds.
At this age you will get 2 to 3 ...maybe 4 headsheds in between regular full sheds.
And yes, he IS shedding (or just about to) and it will be just his head.

-Brad

mine is starting to get a grey head. he used to have red on his head and then it was purple and now its starting to get to grey. its motly when he sleeps but i see it coming in and i think its just a phase.

Thanks guys and gals for the input!!!:)
The educated person would think he is shedding Brad, but his head has been grey for about 3 months... go figure!:confused:
Anyway, good to hear other experiences...
Cheers
Scott.

I still think it's shedding.
I'm sure he gets misted plenty.....how is your vitamin A supplementation?
By the way...he looks really good.

-Brad

I still think it's shedding.
I'm sure he gets misted plenty.....how is your vitamin A supplementation?
By the way...he looks really good.

-Brad

Brad, I have a question, don't shoot me down for my lack of experience, BUT, I don't supplement vitamin A....:eek: My dusting regime is as follows:
Calcium-everyday
Multi-vitamin - monthly
Calcium with D3 - monthly

I'll have to check the multi on how much Vitamin A it has, do you feel he needs this as well? To rephrase that, does he need seperate vitamin A supplementation, this is new to me, I have never read that before! :eek:

Misting is 3 times a day - 1 x 10minute session in morning, follwed by 2 x 3 minute sessions, one in afternoon the other at night.
Cheers for the comment :)
Regards
Scott.

Supplement schedule looks good to me (everyone has their own little "tweaks" but I think you've got the bases covered).....now as far as adding preformed vitamin A.....
There is a bit of controversy, but I have been doing it for awhile and see only good results.
This is the deal: It is believed by many vets, breeders and others that chameleons are a reptile that cannot convert beta-carotene to a useable source of vitamin A and, therefore, a preformed source should be provided.
Because we don't know a lot about it, the dosage needs to be kept quite small.
One of the noticeable benefits of this vitamin is improved condition of the skin.
(I apologize for keeping this so simple and "matter-of fact")
I dose one very tiny drop on a feeder (silk or wax worms work well) twice monthly, or, every other week.
I purchase vitamin A gel-caps (intended for people) and pierce the capsule with a pin. Then squeeze a tiny drop onto the back of the worm and offer it to the cham.
The source in most gel-caps is fish oil.
Do not save a pierced capsule for future dosing....if you don't want to waste it...do what I do and pop it in your mouth!

-Brad

That's some great information on the Vitamin A and I never thought about that at all. I'm an Animal Nutritionist by profession, and not all multivitamins are created equal. I might have to try it on my veiled, as I don't find that he sheds nearly as good as my ambilobe, and thus colouration isn't always as nice.

Just curious here, why can't you reuse he Vitamin A in a few weeks? I'm a supplement freak going to the naturopath regularly for my own health, and I know how the gel capsules can be...do you find they dry out? Isn't there a way to a small bottle of liquid vitamin A? I should look into this through health stores. Great information and good question!:D

Back
Top Bottom