Update on Starship and Reptar

ROFLonfire

Starship and Reptar are my female/male bearded pygs I got Tuesday.

I was concerned, and so were some posters on here, about the condition of Starship. She was very skinny and lethargic. Well now I'm feeling better about it because I just watched her eat 2 crickets!!! :D

Also, prior to getting my pygs I was doing research on a veiled or jackson cham and was trying to decide about getting one. Well, I've decided that I will get one probably next month. I just can't decide between the two.

One vote for Jacksons. They're such pretty chams and the horns are really cool. Plus they're such well-mannered chameleons compared to your average Veiled.

What they lack in the flashy color department they make up for in personality.

Had a veiled way back and while he was fun, he was VERY moody...not saying thats like all veilds, but he was a hisser...and snapper lol. I heart my Nosy be! He loves my hands.

Glad to hear Starship's doing better!
Jackson's are considered slightly more difficult chams than veileds or panthers - that said, my first cham was a Jackson's, and I didn't have any trouble with him. Jackson's like higher moisture/humidity and lower temps than veileds and panthers; the conditions are actually pretty similar to those for your pygmies (though the Jackson's will want more airflow - a screen cage instead of a terrarium). Pygmies are pretty intolerant of temps much above the low eighties - I turn on the A/C for mine when the predicted high is above 80 - so if you're already cooling an area for the pygmies, the Jackson's can stay in the same room and be happy with the temps.
Which isn't to say that veileds aren't wonderful. They generally run slightly less expensive than Jax, it's very easy to get captive bred, with many people on here as well as many of the site sponsors breeding them, and they get much bigger than Jax. (Big enough to possibly consider Starship and Reptar a snack!)

Hmm, the temperature issue is a huge factor and pretty much the only factor. The jacksons do good at the temp that we usually keep the house at so thats what it would appear that I get.

If I get a juvenile jacksons, is 18"x18"x36" big enough to have for awhile?

Hmm, the temperature issue is a huge factor and pretty much the only factor. The jacksons do good at the temp that we usually keep the house at so thats what it would appear that I get.

If I get a juvenile jacksons, is 18"x18"x36" big enough to have for awhile?

That should be fine to start with - it would be too big for a tiny baby, but you want one that's off to a good start, not a tiny baby.
I like Jackson's and, like I say, mine was not a problem, but if temperature is the only factor and all else is equal, you're not going to have to change your household thermostat for a veiled. Part of the reason I started with Jackson's was living in Michigan, and knowing they were cooler temperature chams - but household temps that don't get below 60 at night, coupled with a lamp for warmth, have been fine for my panther, and panther care is generally pretty comparable to veiled care.

So around 72degreesF is good for a veiled?
For ambient, that's fine. He (or she) will want a warmer basking spot (85-90 or thereabouts), which can be provided by a regular incandescent bulb (60W; kept out of reach so the chameleon can't burn itself on it). My UVB is a mercury vapor, which also puts out heat; these are pricier and more finicky than the fluorescents (and more likely to burn if not properly shielded), so most people go with the Reptisun 5.0 for UV-B and an incandescent for warmth. The "enclosures" forum would have more info, and, if you are considering a veiled and haven't read Raising Kitty, that's a highly recommended site.
Veiled, Jackson's - they're both good chams (as are bearded pygmies).

Back
Top Bottom