Update on sick Flapneck

kk1020man

Ok so I posted earlier this week about my dehydrated and malnourished Flapneck Chameleon Gus. I gave him a shower the next day. He didn't really try to drink the water but, because of the amount of water falling on him, I believe he got some into his mouth. The next day I purchased that Repta-Aid stuff from Petsmart. I have been hand feeding him for the past 3 days, today will be the fourth time. In that time he has eaten one cricket by himself. His color seems to be a little better and he has a lot more strength. He almost seems normal again.
Now the major problem is that he won't open one of his eyes. One eye is open and active all day and the other one stays closed. I saw him crack it open for a second once, but that's it. Is there anything that we can do at home to fix this? When should we start giving him supplements? Are there any other steps that we should take to get him back to health?
Thanks for reading, any advice will help!

keep giving him warm showers. lots of misting..
first, focus on the dehydration part.. because it's very critical.

Thats good :)

It sounds like you are making progress and heading in the right direction. Keep up everything you have been doing. You can now start back with the supplementation. Keep it very light for another week though or until he is feeding on it's own and moving around a lot. Very tiny amounts. Regarding the eye.........further showers and hydration may help with that issue all by itself. Just in case it is an infection, you can order some Terramycin eye ointment at 1800PetMeds.com. It is sold without a prescription. Apply just a tiny bit into the eye. A little goes a long way. It can also soothe an irritated eye even if no infection is present. Keep feeding him by hand until he starts eating well on his own.

I'm glad you posted the update. I have been thinking of you and your little one. It upsets me that a dealer would sell something that has almost zero in the way of care information available at a show (I think you mentioned you got it at a show). I spent a lot of time trying to Google information on this species so I could help you more. There is just about nothing of value out there. I recently bought a pair of Bradypodium Uthmoelleri. There is just about zip information out there on that species as well. But the dealer did not sell them at a show. He knew that I was really into this forum and had experience with other unusual reptiles. I'm glad this little one ended up with you. It is fortunate that you are dedicated to getting it healthy again. Please keep us updated. He is in my thoughts still :)

More improvement

Alright...
He has improved since I posted this earlier today. The eye that was closed all the time is opening now and then. It's squinted for short periods of time.
I just finished hand feeding him and also gave him some water with the syringe.
I gave him another shower but, I don't think that he enjoys them. He just sits there with his eyes closed and he gets kind of pale. I don't know if the water is too hot, or too cold or if the water pressure stresses him out. I don't put the water directly on him I let it bounce off the sides of the shower, but it is very loud and I don't have a way of adjusting the water pressure.
I was going to mix in some supplements with his food, but I wasn't sure which one/s to use. I have Rep-Cal calcium dust with D3 and without D3, Rep-Cal Herptavite and T-Rex Chameleon dust. I was only using the T-Rex and dusting all of his crickets with it. Which should I use in the Repta-Aid?
Once he has recoverd, what kind of supplement schedule should I follow?
I know that most people won't be familiar with Flapnecks, but any general Chameleon information is better than nothing!

Howdy,

In addition to or instead of, you might try using a pump-up hand mist bottle with warm water and mist directly on him. Sort of sneak-up on him with a little bit of wetting at a time until he's getting a full, direct light misty/rainy shower.

Last edited:
i bought a flapneck chameleon a couple days ago and just now i seen that one of his eyes were closed and the other is wide open, does any body know why? and for some reason he rapidly changes color, dark spotts all over him. i hope its not sick or nothing, but if any body reads this can they please tell me whats wrong.......

My sick cham is going through the same thing. She has always hated the shower so usually i don't give her one, just mist her. However with her being sick she has to have showers so i use the big ones that you can get at Home Depot in the garden depart. Fill it with warm water and point over his head so he gets just a fine mist. It's more time consuming then just turning the shower on but when mine are sick i kinda sit on the bathtub all the time anyway. They have a button on the side so you don't have to hold it to spray it but you do have to pump it every now and then. Good luck.

Debby

Back
Top Bottom