Update on my gravid Deremensis

BocaJan

Well, in just a week of keeping her cool and humid, offering her 2 laying bins of somewhat different makeup (rather plain, and hidden with a lot of leaves, both with a big indentation dug into them), my little girl with all the eggs has been digging all day. I believe she has reached the bottom of her bin and is now depositing her eggs. Of course I can't see her because of all the covering she has, but I don't hear any noise coming from her cage, so I am only assuming. I am just as pleased as punch! Of course I don't know if they are fertile or infertile. I am keeping my fingers crossed they are fertile and will hatch in 4 months. I will keep them cooler then I keep my veiled eggs and a little damper. Gosh this is exciting. I want to be successful.

Deremensis are one of the highest developed chameleon species (yes, I know, many dont believe in evolution). I cross my fingers for many eggs and a good hatching rate !

Yes, mother is wild caught. Eggs will be first generation. Hopefully they are fertile and will be healthy.

Well, in just a week of keeping her cool and humid, offering her 2 laying bins of somewhat different makeup (rather plain, and hidden with a lot of leaves, both with a big indentation dug into them), my little girl with all the eggs has been digging all day. I believe she has reached the bottom of her bin and is now depositing her eggs. Of course I can't see her because of all the covering she has, but I don't hear any noise coming from her cage, so I am only assuming. I am just as pleased as punch! Of course I don't know if they are fertile or infertile. I am keeping my fingers crossed they are fertile and will hatch in 4 months. I will keep them cooler then I keep my veiled eggs and a little damper. Gosh this is exciting. I want to be successful.

Hey Jan! CONGRATS! I hope they do well for you! I had a previous female lay for me 22 eggs and unfortuanately had a very bad hatch rate, but that was most likely from a temp spike that the incubator had and only ended up with 2.1. I wish you the best of luck witht these guys that are an amazing species to work with! Add me to your list if they are fertile! I am sure you will have no prob hatching them out, your a great keeper!

Great news! She finally picked the bin she liked, the wettest one no less. I followed someones idea and scooped out an indentation in the sand down about 2-3" in both bins and she used the indentation to lay in and covered up the eggs as neat as could be. The sand was so flat you could take a level to it I think. Anyway, there were 19 eggs and when I candled (flashlight) one it was filled with blood vessels already. So, I can only think that these eggs are fertile and working on creating babies. Give them 4 months and hopefully I will have some neonates. I am going to keep them at the same temps I keep the mom, about 70-72 deg and humid. If anyone disagrees with that please let me know. Any babies that hatch will also be kept the same way.

Does anyone know if they should have a basking light since they like the cool moist temps? She doesn't seem to be looking for heat and doesn't even go up to the UVB light but stays pretty hidden in the leaves.

Great news! She finally picked the bin she liked, the wettest one no less. I followed someones idea and scooped out an indentation in the sand down about 2-3" in both bins and she used the indentation to lay in and covered up the eggs as neat as could be. The sand was so flat you could take a level to it I think. Anyway, there were 19 eggs and when I candled (flashlight) one it was filled with blood vessels already. So, I can only think that these eggs are fertile and working on creating babies. Give them 4 months and hopefully I will have some neonates. I am going to keep them at the same temps I keep the mom, about 70-72 deg and humid. If anyone disagrees with that please let me know. Any babies that hatch will also be kept the same way.

Does anyone know if they should have a basking light since they like the cool moist temps? She doesn't seem to be looking for heat and doesn't even go up to the UVB light but stays pretty hidden in the leaves.

I always keep a basking light with mine, but they NEVER use it. I think you could pass on it. ;) Congrats

I was just wondering about her today and was gonna give you a call! I am for sure getting a baby if everythign goes well :) No doubt about it! I will convince Ben to say yes as im sure you wont have a problem :)

Congratulations! I knew you could do it!

Let me know when i can come over someday to see the mom, the eggs, and all your other lovely creatures! Its been awhile!

I supply a basking light even knowing it doesn't get used a lot. But on the days they chose to bask the light is there. But then deremensis can sit in the same place on a branch for 3 days without moving . But I feel better know int is there.

I supply a basking light even knowing it doesn't get used a lot. But on the days they chose to bask the light is there. But then deremensis can sit in the same place on a branch for 3 days without moving . But I feel better know int is there.

Haha try 8 days! A previous male of mine stayed in one spot for 8 days! He sat next to the dripper and where the crickets would congregate and I think he moved his tail to the other side of the branch. Ha.

Back
Top Bottom