Unusually fast hatch out of clutch, and I am very happy about it!

Redman

Avid Member
So, I have a current clutch of 35 panther eggs that started pipping 4 days ago, and I have been tracking the Hatch Out Free Roamers, the new Pips, and unhatched/unpipped remaining by day.

This is looking like it could be the fastest hatch out for an entire clutch I have experienced, but not quite there yet.

For reference, I use a version of the "closet" method of incubation and the clutch lay date was: 7/15/2019.

Here is the breakdown:

Day 1 - 0 hatch, 7 pippers, 28 remaining
Day 2 - 7 hatch, 15 pippers,13 remaining
Day 3 - 11 hatch, 10 pippers, 7 remaining
Day 4- 6 hatch, 6 pippers, 5 remaining

The one change I have done with this clutch is that I leave the newly hatched chams in the hatching box for 24 hrs after they hatch out before moving them to the baby setup.

I know that I have 5 still unhatched or pipped, but given the speed of their siblings, I am thinking that they should hatch out in a week from initial pipping or less.
The conclusion I hope to draw from this, is that the theory of a hormone released by newly hatched chams causing the unhatched eggs to progress is looking very plausible and useful for me.

What are your thoughts and/or experiences?

It's not good science to think one example is a valid sampling size to prove anything at all given the many variables such as genetic variance, possible temperature, season, moisture of the hatch box, among many others. But I am loving the fact that this entire clutch may be very close in age as opposed to some others I have had with as much as 2 months between first and last hatch out or more.

Just very interesting to me if this proves out, and something I will do my best to replicate with the next clutch due in about 6-8 weeks.

Between 1/2" and 1" apart.
20200123_140712.jpg

I've had a baby walk over unhatched/Unpipped eggs and had them
Ones that were walked over hatch quickly...so I definitely believe they signal the Unhatched/Unpipped eggs if they are close enough.

If I can use this technique to consistently get clutches to hatch out fully in a week, I will be a happy camper.

One comment I have on them hatching all at the same time....if they each hatch individually, are they each going to be the strongest most developed they can be and have a better survival rate. I know in the wild this wouldn't make sense since they have to dig out of the ground and escape predators and it's better to hatch all at once for that I think...but captivity its nit necessary.

I'm not doing anything to FORCE them to hatch out early. Just testing the theory that leaving them in the box can influence them to hatch.

None of those hatched out so far appear weak or underdeveloped, but I will certainly keep an eye on them, of course.

I read about someone putting a hatchling in a bioactive setup and it started digging right away. Made me wonder if he / she was trying to dig up its siblings.

So, I have a current clutch of 35 panther eggs that started pipping 4 days ago, and I have been tracking the Hatch Out Free Roamers, the new Pips, and unhatched/unpipped remaining by day.

This is looking like it could be the fastest hatch out for an entire clutch I have experienced, but not quite there yet.

For reference, I use a version of the "closet" method of incubation and the clutch lay date was: 7/15/2019.

Here is the breakdown:

Day 1 - 0 hatch, 7 pippers, 28 remaining
Day 2 - 7 hatch, 15 pippers,13 remaining
Day 3 - 11 hatch, 10 pippers, 7 remaining
Day 4- 6 hatch, 6 pippers, 5 remaining

The one change I have done with this clutch is that I leave the newly hatched chams in the hatching box for 24 hrs after they hatch out before moving them to the baby setup.

I know that I have 5 still unhatched or pipped, but given the speed of their siblings, I am thinking that they should hatch out in a week from initial pipping or less.
The conclusion I hope to draw from this, is that the theory of a hormone released by newly hatched chams causing the unhatched eggs to progress is looking very plausible and useful for me.

What are your thoughts and/or experiences?

It's not good science to think one example is a valid sampling size to prove anything at all given the many variables such as genetic variance, possible temperature, season, moisture of the hatch box, among many others. But I am loving the fact that this entire clutch may be very close in age as opposed to some others I have had with as much as 2 months between first and last hatch out or more.

Just very interesting to me if this proves out, and something I will do my best to replicate with the next clutch due in about 6-8 weeks.
Why is this still such a mystery to chameleon people? It seems that Tegu Breeders have figured this out a long time ago when it’s time for the tegus to hatch they will purposely hold a eggs between 2 fingers and start scratching away at it. And in no time they come flying out the egg.

< shrug > I never bred Tegus. I wasn't claiming to have solved world hunger, was just sharing my experience with a clutch.

Regardless, I am still pretty pleased.

< shrug > I never bred Tegus. I wasn't claiming to have solved world hunger, was just sharing my experience with a clutch.

Regardless, I am still pretty pleased.
Oh that’s not how I meant for it to come across. It’s was just a general question as to why is it even still questioned. And how come the Cham community would think any different? Hopefully there is someone that can explain otherwise if that’s not the factor.

No worries. I think, at least for me, it's more a matter of it being a theory and not a proven fact. I was aware of the theory, but always kept my eggs separated a good bit in the box to keep any that might be infertile from spreading fungus to those that are good. Not saying that is likely, or even possible for all I know for sure, but it never seemed worth the risk NOT to do so.

This was just my attempt to test the theory and see what effect I could measure.

Back
Top Bottom