Unusual panther egg laying experience

madden

So my little girl just laid her first clutch of eggs this week, and when I saw that she had been digging and laid eggs, I removed the laying bin and looked frantically for the eggs. I found one actually laid in the bin, several on the floor of the cage, two in her plant pot, and one at the top of her cage on a leaf. I was a bit upset because only two or three seemed viable, but put them in the incubator and replaced the laying bin in case there were more to come. The next morning we discovered that she had dug another hole, and laid 12 more beautiful healthy looking eggs, all fortunately in the sand this time. Has anyone else had an issue like this?

Hello, two week ago my female Veiled laid her first clutch of eggs and did something similar to your Chameleon. She laid eggs in her bin, then when she was done went up to her favorite corner and went to sleep, about 30min later I went to check up on her and found an egg on top of the laying bin it struck me odd because she was still in the same spot sleeping and that egg wasn't there before, about 30min after that experience I checked up on her again, this time there were two more eggs but they were at the bottom of her cage in different locations, confused, I just stayed there watching her for about 20min while she slept. The only thing I could think of was that she still was laying eggs while she was sleeping and from all the plants in the cage the eggs just rolled down off the leafs to the bottom. To this day the eggs look to be doing good, just never seen or herd anything like this before.

Hmm interesting. I think I'm going to set up a camera whenever I'm expecting more clutches so I can review what's going on

So my little girl just laid her first clutch of eggs this week, and when I saw that she had been digging and laid eggs, I removed the laying bin and looked frantically for the eggs. I found one actually laid in the bin, several on the floor of the cage, two in her plant pot, and one at the top of her cage on a leaf. I was a bit upset because only two or three seemed viable, but put them in the incubator and replaced the laying bin in case there were more to come. The next morning we discovered that she had dug another hole, and laid 12 more beautiful healthy looking eggs, all fortunately in the sand this time. Has anyone else had an issue like this?

it suggests to me she wasnt all that pleased with the laying bin. Either its location, its size, the dampness of the medium, or....

I believe it was probably due to the substrate being too damp, after I only found one egg in the bin I modified it to drain it a bit and then she laid the rest just fine, so you're probably right

Back
Top Bottom