Unknown Sickness

Do u know how old it is mine eats salads not any lettuce like.mustard greens if you can put a little dish of greens in there and spray it cut it real small tho just to see . Is there any white part in his poop ?

Just wondering about any/all the changes you have made since first posting about this chameleon to help it?? What's being done for the calcium imbalance?
Has it improved at all?

How about the gecko....what's been done for it? How is it doing now?

When his plants were still alive? Does that mean he doesn't have any foliage? Are you ever going to take them to a vet? If this Cham is still alive then he's a real fighter. It's a shame you aren't giving him a better chance to come out of this. I feel like everyone is sort of giving you a pass because of your age. I really have to say, I don't think you should have any animals. It's clear that for whatever reason you are unable to care for them properly. I don't think a chameleon especially should be in the care of a teenager only. Where are the adults in you life? Can't you go to anyone that can help you get them to a vet or Humane society?

I've said this multiple times in this post. You really. Really. REALLY need to start taking some advice. You have disregarded or continued to only "consider" most of it, and ignored those trying to pout it out. Have you set up the dripper yet? Have you picked up a shower plant yet?

If you do not have an adult to help you and you are going to continue to only consider and not act, then take the bus to the vet or humane society. Walk to the vet or humane society. Stop making excuses and Do whatever you need to do to get him in to the hands of someone that will care for him.

Again, not trying to be harsh, but have some compassion for the little guy. It's too upsetting to watch this post now. I hope you do the right thing.

His grip was getting strong yesterday and his eyes looked fine. Somehow now, he's doing really bad, his eyes are very sunken now and his grip is weaker than ever :(

The gecko however is doing fine other than the fact his tail is getting skinnier, he's very active, right now though he's shedding so he's a little grumpy. He's a eating a little bit. Yesterday, I'm not sure if it was a cough or a sneeze or just some sort of struggle, but when I was helping him get the shed off his eyes and toes off, a few tiny drops came out, so I just stopped.

He doesn't have any foliage at the moment. The 4 plants I had always dried up and died and I gave the plants water almost every day. I had an Swedish Ivy (I think that's the name, it was a green plant with small leaves with white borders.) and 3 Scheffleras. Not sure if the heat killed it or what but the just kept dying so I got annoyed until I would've gotten the chameleon a bigger setup when he grows up. He is a fighter, just about a week ago I thought he was gonna die. Now then, me not taking care of ANY animal is a pretty bold statement. Just because 1 of my pets is dying and another is badly ill (That wasn't my fault initially), doesn't mean every single thing I have is dying... I have 2 other perfectly healthy Leopard Geckos, a blue tongue skink that's also healthy, and a 150g reef tank. I admit I've done a rather sh*tty job in trying to take care of my chameleon but Jesus, no need to rub it in my face. What does my age have to do with this? Just because I'm 16 doesn't mean I can't do things myself and need an adult. If I had money, I'd have everything needed for his care and besides, the only adults in my house know almost nothing about lizards. So what the hell is an "adult" gonna do? I'm young but not uneducated. In the end, if he does die, I'm definitely not getting another anytime soon. Not at least I until I have a job or something.

Yes, I've mentioned I tried the shower method and he doesn't do anything. He either gets scared of the mist and tries to hide or just ignores the water. I tried the dripper and he doesn't see the water dripping either and I've moved it around. How fast should the drops be falling? The drips from the hole come down at about 1.5 drops a second.

Yes, that was him, saddening how he looks now.

Since I can't take him to the vet, I'll just do the next best thing. Tomorrow I'm going to that reptile store (or possibly the vet) I'll go and ask the guy if he wants them both or if he knows someone that would take care of it.

Give me a minute, I'm gonna upload a picture of my other pets and a picture of my Chameleon that I had that was the day before yesterday

The fact that you have no money is a part of being 16. Not listening to sound advice when you are asking is part of being 16. I simply meant maybe the adults in your life might help you with a trip to the vet or to the humane society. This has been going on for quite some time. What's the plan? Are you just going to wait it out until they die.You barely have time to set up the dripper. You are torturing this animal! The fact that he has no foliage could be the problem! He has nothing to drink from, nothing to hide in, he's in a horribly foreign enviroment with no foliage.
I know you have this sense that you are doing the right thing but common sense should tell you based on the comments you are receiving. You are not doing the right thing for these animals.
If you are serious about getting them help...... I kind of don't think you are.
I will be in Fort Lauderdale in two weeks. If they are still alive I'll take them.

It's not a bare cage, it has a lot of vines and fake plants, he has like 5 hiding spots. Back when he was healthy, he would hide almost always behind this thing (I forgot the name of it but it's like a rock looking thing that held the plants that we made with this "Great Stuff" foam) that held the plants in it, he would hide in the fake ivy, on the ground behind a log, and on top of the foam thing behind it, where the support is. I know he drank back then because when I first got him he wasn't shy at all to eat or drink. I used to hand feed him everyday, and when I first got him he was a little dehydrated (His urate was completely yellow) so I dipped my finger in a cup with water and gave it to him and he would drink the water straight off my fingers. Then when he got a couple months old he stopped eating off my hands, I don't know why, but I always put lots of crickets and always sprayed heavily and in an hour all the crickets were gone and the plants that were drenched were half-way dry.

What do you mean I'm not serious about helping them?

If you really are willing to get them both, then most likely I'll give you the gecko at least, I'm at the moment of asking my sister if you can have the chameleon.

Alrighty, you can have the gecko but I can't give his cage as the cage isn't even mine, so please bring a cage or a cup or something to transport him in. As soon as my sister comes back, she'll read this and she'll decide if you can have the chameleon too. Personally, I can at least guarantee you the gecko will be alive by then. I'm not very sure about the chameleon though, gave him a lot of water yesterday and today and his eyes are still deep.

I'm glad to hear the enclosure is not bare. When you said no foliage I assumed you meant fake or alive. When I say I don't think you are serious... I offered to take both animals but still you are only releasing one. Why the need to hold onto this chameleon that you think is ready to die. I'm offering you help. You can't get this guy proper medical treatment. Why wouldn't you let someone else. Is it better to hold onto him and he dies? Or release him and possible he could get better. Could you post new pictures of them both?

I just went back and re read this whole thread. Twice you said you would call the vet or the humane society about relinquish them. Did you ever do that? If not I bet I could call and set something up sooner than two weeks. If you are serious about releasing them then PM me with a number I could text you on and I will try to set that up.

I just went back and re read this whole thread. Twice you said you would call the vet or the humane society about relinquish them. Did you ever do that? If not I bet I could call and set something up sooner than two weeks. If you are serious about releasing them then PM me with a number I could text you on and I will try to set that up.

Alrighty, I'll pm you when my sister arrives to read this.

Ok, let me know. When is your sister coming? Maybe you could call and ask her. The quicker we get medical attention to them the better.

Mamatoelvis thank you I've been trying to encourage and guide like someone did for me not long ago and I had hoped it was better than nothing but these animals need real help. I appreciate what your doing so much.

Well, I understand no one wants to be harsh. Pets are a huge responsibility that really can't be met by a teenager working alone. I understand that he's offended by that statement. I simply mean if you don't have the financial resources to care for an animal you shouldn't keep one. If you are 16 or 60 years old.
If my financial situation changed ( if it wasn't temporary ) the first thing I would do is find good homes for my wonderful pets. Because I love them.

Sorry about reacting that way, I just didn't read the comment correctly. I'll PM you very soon.

I don't know if I PM'd you, I think it was a visitor message or something

No, I won't be down there for two more weeks but they did agree to give them up if I found a rescue to take them. I did some calling around today but most places were closed for the weekend. I will try to find a place on Monday to take them sooner than I can get there. I will still try to adopt them when I get there but the really need medical care now. He said he went to the humane society with his sister to adopt a puppy for his sister!!!!!!! He said he asked them but they don't take reptiles.

I really hope these animals pull through and live. Sending positive vibes towards these poor reptiles. I understand how stressful this can be though when I was 16 I had a lab puppy and forgot to get the 2nd round of vaccinations and he got parvo, to this day I feel guilty about it. With high school and possibly college in the future, things can get away from us, it's just unfortunate that these animals are being put through this.

Update.
Very sad news but not surprising. I found a place to take them quicker than I could get there but he said the chameleon died this morning. I asked if he would still take the gecko in he said he would talk to his sister about it. I hope he still takes the gecko in for treatment, the lady said I could adopt them when I get there. I'll keep you guys posted.

Back
Top Bottom