Unknown Sickness

Any animal that you can not afford to properly care for should be immediately relinquished to someone that can afford to get proper medical treatment and care for the animal. I understand that it is hard but you need to be fair to the animal at this point they are suffering. When I was a lot younger and had a cat that need medical treatment that was unable to afford I pawned stuff to pay for it. I know that is not always an option but there are many ways to do the best thing. I hope you concider doing something soon so the poor babies do not suffer longer. I am not trying to bash you in any way just trying to help you think of other options.

Water and rubbing the mouth rot is insanely stupid to me. I can't believe a reptile person would do that.

It may but it did work though, it was better than not trying to help it. He looks and seems better. Before I did it he would never eat, not even forcefully, after the 4 times I managed to open his mouth to feed him he just spat it out. 2 days after doing that and he finally ate on the first try, second time though he refused it.

As for giving away the gecko and chameleon, I can't. I wanted to but I couldn't find anyone. It's pretty difficult finding a person here in Hialeah (Only about half the people here aren't afraid of reptiles, even fewer people having one) that would willingly care for a sick gecko with so many things. As for the chameleon, about a month and a half ago, my sister and I tried selling him (Before he had problems, ones that I didn't notice at least) because I was having a rough time trying to care for all of my animals (Geckos, Blue tongue, and the cham) and in the end since no one wanted him I just kept him.

What she's saying is if you take them to a vet you can sign over the animals to the vet and they'll get the treatment they need and then be adopted. I was in the same situation I had a frog that swallowed rocks and was 4 hundred short and they presented me with that option. I moved heaven a little and hell alot and I got that money but if I hadn't I would have signed her over so she lived. You need vet help asap. Not bashing either good luck to you and your little guys.

Cleaning out the mouthrot may appear to help it heal but if you don't do a culture and sensitivity test and then put the reptile on antibiotics it will likely come back or become systemic and the reptile will die.

You really need to take them both to a vet or GIVE them to a reptile rescue.

If I knew of a person or group that wanted that I'd gladly give them it, but I don't, If I did, I would've given it to them a long time ago. Unless you guys can tell me of a person or group in my area, I'll gladly try to give them both the gecko and most likely the chameleon.

As for the chameleon, I sprayed some water mixed with calcium in his mouth and he drank most of it. I think I sprayed a little too much at what point that a little water bubble came out of his nose, after that, I completely stopped giving him water. He's a little less lethargic than yesterday and his eyes seem to be getting better. Mouth is still grey.

Thanks for the advice so far.

I kind of feel like several members have given you ideas but you don't seem to be listening. You can take them to a vet and tell them you would like to relinquish the animals. They will get treatment of some kind which is more than you can give them. If they choose to not treat your animals they will know who to contact who can. You could also go to any humane society and relinquish them there. They will get treatment and hopefully adopted. Sometimes the kindest thing you can do for them is give them up. You need to accept your limitations with these animals. You are not qualified to be treating them and you can not afford the treatment they need. I know you think you are doing right by them but you are falling short. Give them up asap.

I am very new to Chameleons but not reptiles, other animals or living things and what you descibed about forcing water until it bubbled out of his nose sounds like hes aspirating. This is not going to end well for them if you can not get them both treatment very fast. As MamatoElvis said it doesnt seem like you want to try any of the options mentioned to you also you said you MIGHT relinquish the Cham as well. You can not care for them as needed why would you even think twice if someone else could? I am having a very difficult time understanding at this point.

You have been given all of the advice in the world and are refusing to take it. What you are doing to these animals is cruel. It sounds like they are both gravely ill and if you refuse to find a way to get them treated, or give them to someone who can OR take them to a rescue then you need to take them in to at least be humanely euthanized. End their suffering. Do not own an animal (or multiple animals) that you cannot take care of.

Lol ^ that made me laugh. It's true, though. Youre keeping them so you feel better about yourself. The right thing to do is get them to a vet or humane society so they can be happy and healthy.

I know animal pain and grief is the worst. But sometimes you have to go through it. I had to return a baby dragon to petco so he could get the best treatment . I am getting him back he's at the vet right now for a recheck to see if he s better or needs another week. It's killing me having someone else taking care of him but I didn't have the money. A month ago our frog swallowed rocks 800.dollars. She's fine now we almost had to relinquish her to them because I was 200 short. I'm a fighter for my animals and that 2 hundred fell out of heaven. I would have let her go the paper was signed. Then ripped up ALOT. I find out today if Mt baby dragon gets to come home. I wish I could fly to Florida and support this guy . If he would just get up things can happen for his animals.

I see that they are giving me advice and I'm thankful they are giving me something, I might look like I'm not taking it but I really am considering it, it's just that all the exotic pet vets I contacted are either bird/dog/cat only or the visit price is $100, which AT THE MOMENT I do not have. The main person that can take it to the vet, which is my sister (She's the one that buys everything for it, including the chameleon) I can't make the decision myself, since it's technically hers, but I am telling her about it. Isn't Humane Society cats and dogs only?

All of the reptile rescues are in North Florida, which is more than 4 hours from here, for the gas price, I might as well go to the vet for a visit.

I know the water coming out of his nose was bad, which is why I stopped doing it completely, I don't plan to continue doing that.

One thing is refusing to take advice and one think is considering the advice but just can't do it (at the moment)

I know I am, doesn't mean I can easily fork up $100 and go to one.

Well yes, I'd rather try my best to treat the animal than not try at all and just euthanize it, I'm sure everyone would agree on that.

I can't get a job yet (I'm 16) so I can't exactly fight for the animal.

How much would it cost to just go to the vet and ask them to contact people that would want it? Its a vet, so I'm pretty sure they must charge at least a small fee for that.

I see that they are giving me advice and I'm thankful they are giving me something, I might look like I'm not taking it but I really am considering it, it's just that all the exotic pet vets I contacted are either bird/dog/cat only or the visit price is $100, which AT THE MOMENT I do not have. The main person that can take it to the vet, which is my sister (She's the one that buys everything for it, including the chameleon) I can't make the decision myself, since it's technically hers, but I am telling her about it. Isn't Humane Society cats and dogs only?

All of the reptile rescues are in North Florida, which is more than 4 hours from here, for the gas price, I might as well go to the vet for a visit.

I know the water coming out of his nose was bad, which is why I stopped doing it completely, I don't plan to continue doing that.

One thing is refusing to take advice and one think is considering the advice but just can't do it (at the moment)

I know I am, doesn't mean I can easily fork up $100 and go to one.

Well yes, I'd rather try my best to treat the animal than not try at all and just euthanize it, I'm sure everyone would agree on that.

I can't get a job yet (I'm 16) so I can't exactly fight for the animal.

How much would it cost to just go to the vet and ask them to contact people that would want it? Its a vet, so I'm pretty sure they must charge at least a small fee for that.

Call and ask.

Do you have calcium. If so the Cham needs it daily and calcium with d3 and take him outside for 10 or 15 minutes at a time. DON'T LEAVE IT OUT THERE UNATTENDED take him out 3 or 4 times a day natural sunlight is good medicine . Sometimes at pet stores it's hard to find calcium without d3 you can order it online tho. If that's not possible I'll mail you a jar of it. If you need me to send it let me know and I'll give you my private email or at the UPS store you can give it to them. Let me know. I know this super sucks for you right now there is one good to come out of it your learning things that will benefit other animals in your future. And getting back on here even after we were all getting hard on you is fighting for your animals.

I messed up 2 chameleons 1 died and the other I was able to save by doing what I told you to do with the supplements and sunlight. They had mbd and it was my fault. So now I try to help others with that horrible experience.

Back
Top Bottom