Unknown flies in enclosure

I've noticed tiny skies in my chams enclosure. They may be fruit flies or no see ems? I live in Florida and am wondering if I should be worried. I have live plants that I purchased from a nursery so they may have come from them because they aren't any where else in my house. Thoughts?

If they are punkies wouldn't they have bit you by now? I live in Florida too and I have these tiny little flies around my Chams enclosure all the time. I've pretty much given up on trying to get rid of them. I've tried the cup with apple cider trick and while it did catch/drown many they just keep coming back. I've replaced the soil in the plants and thoroughly washed everything. Still I have them. I'm just assuming they fly in the front door and set up shop somewhere moist eventually ending up back in the enclosure. Bah. :unsure:

i live in ND.. I have them too. They look like fruit flies, but I don't think they are. Whatever they are, they aren't that bothersome. I think they like the live plants

The ones I'm asking about are called phorid flies and they come in with the crickets. They are not something I like to see in the house because they run through the poop and then run through our food, etc. They are a vector for disease transmission because of the unsanitary places they like to visit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoridae

I keep seeing one flying around in his cage too, i think its a fruit fly. Don't know why he just don't eat it!!!! It doesn't seem like it's stressing him out though.

Back
Top Bottom