Unhappy with cage? Or just extremely friendly/social Chameleon?

Hmmm so, different question for you guys. I've been letting him out more often since he's been extremely restless the last 4-5 days, more so than usual. Yesterday he was absolutely going crazy, just full of energy. I do believe it's his um, hormones kicking in lol... But every time I let him have some free roam around my room, he non-stops runs up my dresser to get to the mirror. I thought I blocked it properly, but he's able to climb up the sides still lol. There's no other spot in the room he'd like to explore, he JUST wants to get to that mirror.

I'm honestly just curious if I should just... let him do his thing until he's bored up there? I mean, he runs up to the mirror, sometimes acts all puffy and mean the first few seconds, but then calms down quickly and just observes himself. I know the usual claim of mirrors = stressing out the animals, but in this case since he's going up there on his own, could it be just his curiosity? I can take a video, it's honestly hilarious but I also want to know if allowing him access up there is harmful to him health-wise. The more he's up there, the less puffy he gets to the point where he now just runs along the mirror, completely content doing his own thing. He doesn't change colors nor gets dark, never has... Just acts puffy at first then calms down and stares at himself for as long as I let him.

Sorry if that's a stupid question, I'm trying to find ways to entertain the little guy since he's been SO needy and wanting out of his cage any time he see's us. He's started preferring us over his large tree we have for him by the window, so I'm trying to entertain my toddler-like chameleon until his new cage his built lmao.

So I took a little video of him today during one of his fits to get out of his cage. Before this, he was running up and down his cage looking at me the whole time while throwing his temper tantrum LOL. Until I gave in of course haha.

He's got his little routine now where he runs up the front, runs to the edge and almost immediately wants onto my hand lol. Early today, he literally was throwing his little hands to me desperately wanting out, even though I was leaving the house for a bit. Always breaks my heart to say no to him.... though he wins half the time lol.

I hate you for this. My life is a lie. My chameleon hates me. Good bye cruel world :cry:.

Hehe you may really hate me after this video too.... xD

Yeah enjoy this! This was exactly how my boy was until he hit about 12-13 months old... Then his entire personality switched. Hopefully yours still likes you when he matures being as how he is a panther but they do change through maturity.

This is literally me dream with Coda, she’s almost a year old and no progress :) :confused::cautious:

Did you get her as a baby? I honestly think it was a mix of luck, but also like I worked a little crazy with him during the taming process. He used to be terrified of me as a baby (was 2-3 months old when I got him) and wouldn't willingly want out... that is until I realized he'd do anything for a mealworm. So I started handfeeding him mealworms + his roaches, then he started eating right out of my fingers within 2 weeks of having him. I do remember though at first, he refused anything from my hands but I found that if I just got one of his leaves, put it in my hand, then put the roach/worm ontop, he'd eat it. Then I slowly phased out the leaf until he was eating from my palm, then eating from my fingers! I then started luring him out onto my hand (even if he was just barely touching it) with a mealworm or roach, and eventually he would happily come out onto my hand and up my arm. Overtime he just got used to my hand and never runs from it now, despite doing that in the beginning. I can reach in his cage to clean, move things around, etc and he'll either just chill out on his basking spot or run over to me like in the video. xD I think by nature, he's naturally more docile than some so that made taming him much easier, but the trick with luring him onto my hands really taught him that hands = good things.

I still always let him out and hold him / mostly handfeed him daily so he's definitely still used to our little routine. I honestly never expected to be able to handle this type of critter as much as I've been able to. I was expecting the typical, "they don't like to be touched so don't bother them" kind of pet, but he's definitely shocked me. Hoping he stays this way forever because gosh he just has my heart! :love:

Did you get her as a baby? I honestly think it was a mix of luck, but also like I worked a little crazy with him during the taming process. He used to be terrified of me as a baby (was 2-3 months old when I got him) and wouldn't willingly want out... that is until I realized he'd do anything for a mealworm. So I started handfeeding him mealworms + his roaches, then he started eating right out of my fingers within 2 weeks of having him. I do remember though at first, he refused anything from my hands but I found that if I just got one of his leaves, put it in my hand, then put the roach/worm ontop, he'd eat it. Then I slowly phased out the leaf until he was eating from my palm, then eating from my fingers! I then started luring him out onto my hand (even if he was just barely touching it) with a mealworm or roach, and eventually he would happily come out onto my hand and up my arm. Overtime he just got used to my hand and never runs from it now, despite doing that in the beginning. I can reach in his cage to clean, move things around, etc and he'll either just chill out on his basking spot or run over to me like in the video. xD I think by nature, he's naturally more docile than some so that made taming him much easier, but the trick with luring him onto my hands really taught him that hands = good things.

I still always let him out and hold him / mostly handfeed him daily so he's definitely still used to our little routine. I honestly never expected to be able to handle this type of critter as much as I've been able to. I was expecting the typical, "they don't like to be touched so don't bother them" kind of pet, but he's definitely shocked me. Hoping he stays this way forever because gosh he just has my heart! :love:
I got her from Petco(sadly) and I think all of the times the guys pulled her out or kids tapped on the glass, messed her up, she was 4 months old so a little bit past the baby baby stage she was also housed with tons of other older chams, I think she’s just had a rough past, and needs some time to get around it.

Last edited:
I got her from Petco(sadly) and I think all of the times the guys pulled her out or tropes on the glass messed her up, she was 4 months old so a little bit past the baby baby stage

I can't speak much advice wise since this little guy is my first Cham, but I definitely think getting him so young was the way to go. He came from a breeder where they're a little more use to humans from the beginning too, so I think that helped as well. But he never started out social, he was terrified of me lol but thankfully never was aggressive, so it made for an easier taming process.

I think if you were to get one as a young baby between 2-3 months, you may have an easier time taming wise as they grow! I loved getting to choose from like 10 other baby chams to pick out one with a great little personality. I didn't care too much about what he may look like, so I picked solely on how calm he was + getting to see his colors form was a rewarding experience in itself!!

Here's my little guy, first day at home straight from the reptile expo! He was so scared, but man has that changed!

IMG_20190818_234606.jpg

Last edited:
I definitely can't speak much advice wise since this little guy is my first Cham, but I definitely think getting him so young was the way to go. He came from a breeder where they're a little more use to humans from the beginning too, so I think that helped as well. But he never started out social, he was terrified of me lol but thankfully never was aggressive, so it made for an easier taming process.

I think if you were to get one as a young baby between 2-3 months, you may have an easier time taming wise as they grow! I loved getting to choose from like 10 other baby chams to pick out one with a great little personality. I didn't care too much about what he may look like, so I picked solely on how calm he was + getting to see his colors form was a rewarding experience in itself!!

Here's my little guy, first day at home straight from the reptile expo! He was so scared, but man has that changed!

View attachment 255870
Even when I got to feed her she runs and hides it’ll take a few months

Even when I got to feed her she runs and hides it’ll take a few months

If you can, maybe try tong feeding her with her favorite treat and see if she'll gradually get closer to you? I know lots of people prefer tongs over hands, and maybe she won't be nearly as fearful of them?
I definitely wish you luck and hope your baby comes around soon! It can take time with each individual animal so patience is the key, but you got this!!

Lol sounds like my male veiled, he always wants to come out every time he sees me moving around and I've also had him since he was 3 months old and he just enjoys exploring and hanging out with me. Here is a picture of him basking this morning after his breakfast.

Attachments

• 20200111_084103.jpg
    20200111_084103.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 96
Lol sounds like my male veiled, he always wants to come out every time he sees me moving around and I've also had him since he was 3 months old and he just enjoys exploring and hanging out with me. Here is a picture of him basking this morning after his breakfast.
What a beautiful boy! So he's an adult then and never got grumpy as he aged? If so, then that gives me hope my little guy will may remain sweet as he matures!

Hmmm so, different question for you guys. I've been letting him out more often since he's been extremely restless the last 4-5 days, more so than usual. Yesterday he was absolutely going crazy, just full of energy. I do believe it's his um, hormones kicking in lol... But every time I let him have some free roam around my room, he non-stops runs up my dresser to get to the mirror. I thought I blocked it properly, but he's able to climb up the sides still lol. There's no other spot in the room he'd like to explore, he JUST wants to get to that mirror.

I'm honestly just curious if I should just... let him do his thing until he's bored up there? I mean, he runs up to the mirror, sometimes acts all puffy and mean the first few seconds, but then calms down quickly and just observes himself. I know the usual claim of mirrors = stressing out the animals, but in this case since he's going up there on his own, could it be just his curiosity? I can take a video, it's honestly hilarious but I also want to know if allowing him access up there is harmful to him health-wise. The more he's up there, the less puffy he gets to the point where he now just runs along the mirror, completely content doing his own thing. He doesn't change colors nor gets dark, never has... Just acts puffy at first then calms down and stares at himself for as long as I let him.

Sorry if that's a stupid question, I'm trying to find ways to entertain the little guy since he's been SO needy and wanting out of his cage any time he see's us. He's started preferring us over his large tree we have for him by the window, so I'm trying to entertain my toddler-like chameleon until his new cage his built lmao.
He’s a panther correct ?? At a year ?? It’s mating season . He’s looking for his wife , that boy in the Mirror is going DOWN !!. She’s mine and I will battle you to the end ;) .

My boy septiseye think everything is his tree and Ido mean everything . He also thought our female veiled was his wife . Oh he was Beyond smitten with her . She thought he was Beyond ridiculous:p . He now is looking for a new wife but no one is Frances . his disposition has been so since he popped out of his box . He is one of @Matt Vanilla Gorilla boys and he is hands on with his babies . Our Oliver is just as friendly we hatched him he as well is one of Matt’s babies eggs . We are very hands one with our babies . We also have 3 of @jannb babies one is like my 2 Panthers . She as well is very hands on . Her other 2 babies did not go from her to us . They also came to us do to health issues and needed treatment that their old keepers could not provide . They certainly have their own disposition . I absolutely think hatching them or them being with you from very very small makes a difference. However this is very very debatable . I have some really good friends here that are some of the best keepers I have met and we disagree here . Point being know your baby their personality and what they can handle go with your flow . When they say no then it’s no .

He’s a panther correct ?? At a year ?? It’s mating season . He’s looking for his wife , that boy in the Mirror is going DOWN !!. She’s mine and I will battle you to the end ;) .

My boy septiseye think everything is his tree and Ido mean everything . He also thought our female veiled was his wife . Oh he was Beyond smitten with her . She thought he was Beyond ridiculous:p . He now is looking for a new wife but no one is Frances . his disposition has been so since he popped out of his box . He is one of @Matt Vanilla Gorilla boys and he is hands on with his babies . Our Oliver is just as friendly we hatched him he as well is one of Matt’s babies eggs . We are very hands one with our babies . We also have 3 of @jannb babies one is like my 2 Panthers . She as well is very hands on . Her other 2 babies did not go from her to us . They also came to us do to health issues and needed treatment that their old keepers could not provide . They certainly have their own disposition . I absolutely think hatching them or them being with you from very very small makes a difference. However this is very very debatable . I have some really good friends here that are some of the best keepers I have met and we disagree here . Point being know your baby their personality and what they can handle go with your flow . When they say no then it’s no .

So he's actually only about 7-7.5 months old now, but I do think it's a hormone thing going on with the mirror situation LOL. At this point, I kinda just let him do his thing when it's "play time", where I have him out in my room to climb and explore. He also gets tree time by a window while I work. :) But when he's in my room, the second I set him down... it's a race to that dresser to ummm, admire his reflection. I'm not sure if I SHOULD stop it.... it seems like he's just so curious so I don't see the harm in it. It entertains him in a pretty cute, non-harmful way so as long as he doesn't get stressed or aggressive, I kind of just wanna let him be.

I honestly feel like I have a good understanding of his personality, since I've spent so much time with him. I basically work from home 90% of the time, so he's always near me and I love spending time with him + my bearded dragon as my "break time". :p I mean, there hasn't been a single day where I haven't held him, so he's become very comfortable with me over the last 3-4 months. And I totally agree with basically letting THEM choose what they want to do, and if no means no, then never force it. I only force him if he's on something he shouldn't be, or he needs to go back inside his cage, etc. Otherwise, I allow him to make the choices. And I really think that's what made the worlds difference with him, especially since he would just run from my hands as a baby initially when I tried forcing him to be on my hand. I realized I was doing more harm than good, so I took a more gentle, free approach where HE made the choice if he wanted to crawl onto my hand or not. Overtime he learned hands don't hurt, so he will happily crawl on just about anybody's hands willingly, through his own freedom and choice. :)

Totally understand the debate with this as well though. I'm just happy to be apart of this community so I can educate myself more about these incredible little creatures, and I mostly just wanna ensure I'm providing my guy the best life I can. He's my first Cham, so I came here to really see what others thought about this situation and it's really opened my eyes a lot! I'm going to make the changes with his cage soon, so we'll see if that affects his desire to come out... but I honestly just think that he's become very comfortable with people... and just see's us as friendly giant tree creatures at this point haha!

So he's actually only about 7-7.5 months old now, but I do think it's a hormone thing going on with the mirror situation LOL. At this point, I kinda just let him do his thing when it's "play time", where I have him out in my room to climb and explore. He also gets tree time by a window while I work. :) But when he's in my room, the second I set him down... it's a race to that dresser to ummm, admire his reflection. I'm not sure if I SHOULD stop it.... it seems like he's just so curious so I don't see the harm in it. It entertains him in a pretty cute, non-harmful way so as long as he doesn't get stressed or aggressive, I kind of just wanna let him be.

I honestly feel like I have a good understanding of his personality, since I've spent so much time with him. I basically work from home 90% of the time, so he's always near me and I love spending time with him + my bearded dragon as my "break time". :p I mean, there hasn't been a single day where I haven't held him, so he's become very comfortable with me over the last 3-4 months. And I totally agree with basically letting THEM choose what they want to do, and if no means no, then never force it. I only force him if he's on something he shouldn't be, or he needs to go back inside his cage, etc. Otherwise, I allow him to make the choices. And I really think that's what made the worlds difference with him, especially since he would just run from my hands as a baby initially when I tried forcing him to be on my hand. I realized I was doing more harm than good, so I took a more gentle, free approach where HE made the choice if he wanted to crawl onto my hand or not. Overtime he learned hands don't hurt, so he will happily crawl on just about anybody's hands willingly, through his own freedom and choice. :)

Totally understand the debate with this as well though. I'm just happy to be apart of this community so I can educate myself more about these incredible little creatures, and I mostly just wanna ensure I'm providing my guy the best life I can. He's my first Cham, so I came here to really see what others thought about this situation and it's really opened my eyes a lot! I'm going to make the changes with his cage soon, so we'll see if that affects his desire to come out... but I honestly just think that he's become very comfortable with people... and just see's us as friendly giant tree creatures at this point haha!
We are the same with our babies . Septiseye, and phoeb’s especially are very handled lol they are never bothered by anything . Oliver is pretty much the same except he will stay with in a certain area . Neither septiseye or phoeb’s have any boundaries lol .

What a beautiful boy! So he's an adult then and never got grumpy as he aged? If so, then that gives me hope my little guy will may remain sweet as he matures!
Yes he will be 3 years old September, but so far he has been calm and I've never seen him grumpy "fingers crossed ". Definitely makes it easier for them to be comfortable around you getting him at a young age.

We are the same with our babies . Septiseye, and phoeb’s especially are very handled lol they are never bothered by anything . Oliver is pretty much the same except he will stay with in a certain area . Neither septiseye or phoeb’s have any boundaries lol .
Haha yeah I can say we have very similar babies indeed! This little guy doesn't understand the word boundary, not for a long shot! It's strange, he's not even afraid of my little dog at ALL for whatever reason. I introduced him at first when he was around 4-5 months old because I wanted my dog to get adjusted to him being there, especially since I wanted him to free roam in his little tree area outside the cage. My dog loves animals so I wasn't worried since they would never have actual contact, but just didn't want the pure sight of each other freaking either one of them out. Felix (my cham) wasn't even phased by him, and at this point will walk down his tree and casually stroll around the room as though he's a dog too. I often let him out on my bed too, and he'll just crawl around, minding his own business.... nothing seems to bother him (besides going outside, he HATES outside D: ). I never allow him to have contact with my pup for obvious safety reasons, but I'm really glad just being near my dog doesn't terrify him! It's allowed me to have him out for more "play time" so he can burn out that energy and explore more!
We're both in for an adventure, that's for sure. :p
Yes he will be 3 years old September, but so far he has been calm and I've never seen him grumpy "fingers crossed ". Definitely makes it easier for them to be comfortable around you getting him at a young age.
That's awesome! I'm really hoping my little guy stays the same, and I really have a good feeling he will. Each week, he's getting even more sweet it seems especially when he sees me and how he does his little excited sprint to the front. I don't know if the correct wording is that "he loves me" (since I know that's a debate in itself with reptiles), but I really feel like he at least knows me and fully trusts me. That alone is such a rewarding experience with the hobby! :)

Back
Top Bottom